main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I've been given the impression that each regeneration is shaped by the experiences of the previous regeneration. Like, the 8th had to do some terrible things, and so he became the 9th after the time war.

2. RaidonMakoto

RaidonMakoto Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2007
    And the 7th Doctor was 953... Something is wrong here.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That interpretation works for me, too.

Eight committed atrocities in the Time War, so Nine was a man consumed by guilt.
    Nine fell for Rose, so Ten was a man who could be the love of her life.

It'll be interesting to see how Ten's experiences inform Eleven.

4. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    probably counting by a different calendar.

5. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Timey wimey

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Probably something to do with the time war.

7. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    I always just figured he recently stopped counting all the time he's spent traveling about time in his TARDIS. 903 or so years was about his age when William Hartnell's Doctor stole the ole' Type 40 to begin his adventures... Who's counting when there's no real point of reference?

Timey wimey!

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Fourth Doctor said he was 750 years old. The Second, that he was 450 "in human terms".

The Doctor's age is all over the place.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    re: Tennant's trainers.

Watched the start of series 3 last night and in the first episode (Smith and Jones), he takes off his red trainers in the hospital on the moon and throws them in the bin (cos he put loads of radiation in them. Perhaps he could have remembered that trick in his last episode ;) ) No idea if he wears them after then or not.

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I think in this case there was much more radiation so he couldn't do that trick. ;)

11. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Or that was his only pair of anti-radiation trainers left. :p

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I thought the exact same thing!

Finally got to catch this. Overall a very good send off to one of the great Doctors (but not my favorite). They did a good job of bringing it back to earlier storylines and giving an emotional sendoff that fits with this Doctor's character.

13. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    They did a terrible job of bringing it back to earlier story lines. It was all just awkwardly packed in there. They should have just skipped straight to the visiting Rose thing.

14. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I didn't mean the rapid visits at the end, which were kind of forced (see my earlier post). I'm talking about the Master, the Ood, etc.

15. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    That was awkwardly packed in too.

16. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    So 'awkwardly packed in' covers a lot of your review then.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, I love John Simm as The Master and, really, The Master in general, so its always nice to see more of him. Similarly, some closure regarding the Time War was also nice, although the Ood angle felt a bit shoehorned.

18. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    The Ood have felt shoehorned everywhere after their first appearance. Though, at the beginning of Part 1 I was thinking maybe they were going for the Ood becoming the new lords of time, which intrigued me.

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Speaking of how much Doctor-time passes between episodes, I did appreciate that they tossed in a reference to him having married and then divorced in his travels between this year's specials. I was wondering if everyone involved with the show had already forgotten about River Song from the library episode, whom I'd figured was a future wife of that incarnation.

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I dunno, she said he looked "much" younger than when she had met him before. I can't imagine that 10th is the only incarnation she ever knew, and I hardly think enough time has passed between then and now to make him look significantly older in the eyes.

21. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    The marriage thing was a reference to "The Shakespeare Code" and the warrant Queen Elizabeth had out for the Doctor's arrest. "Got married. Old Queen Bess. You know that nickname she used to have? Well, she...isn't anymore". Or words to that effect.

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    "Got married, that was a mistake... Good Queen Bess... Let me tell you, her nickname is no longer... uhm, anyway."

;)

23. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    That's the one. Well, the content was right, at least.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm really not sure how I feel about the Doctor having slept with Queen Elizabeth. I didn't really like that scene, though I get the Doctor was struggling with guilt and the weight of his own mortality, and was rather overcompensating. Perhaps it will never, ever, be mentioned in the programme again? *crosses fingers*

Just thinking about The End of Time, am I the only one who thinks Timothy Dalton has become much cooler with age? Since seeing him in Hot Fuzz my estimation of him as an actor has really shot up - I didn't hate his Bond, but I used to think he was a bit lacking in the charisma stakes. Well, not anymore.

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, you're not - I share that exact sentiment! Timothy Dalton was beyond cool as Rassilon. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.