main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Does anyone out there have a REAL padawan braid?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Magenta_Moonshadow, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magenta_Moonshadow

Magenta_Moonshadow Jedi Master star 3

Aug 14, 2005
    Does anyone out there have a REAL padawan braid?

Just wondering, because I'm female and 40 (that's a minority combination in SW fandom, but what the hell - once a SW fan, ALWAYS a SW fan! [face_dancing] ) and I have very long hair, so I usually put it in a pony tail and keep a small section of it behind my right ear in a very long (waist-length) thin braid (Obi Wan TPM style)...

Does anyone else do this?

2. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    I did, before it was called a padawan braid.. I had mine for about 5-6 years. I even had it decorated with colored thread wrapped around it, much like you see on the various padawan learners(anakin's were blue, for example)..Old pics are on my website.

3. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    the council cut mine off when I was made a full Jedi Knight.

Hi-yo!

4. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    I've checked your website (as listed in your profile)...whereabouts are the pics?:cool:

5. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    I sometimes tie coloured wool in mine, and have beads at the end!

I'm sort of a hippy Jedi! LOL!!

6. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    it should be in the "more pictures" section... I believe it is visable in the picture of me infront of the grey townhome. If not, the picture with myself and the Chaos! Comics crew shows a little bit of it.

I cut mine off shortly before the Phantom Menance came out, as I was preparing to go into the service. :)

7. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    My friend Jayna used to have one. It was awesome, she cut it off though :_|[face_worried]

twas a sad day in Daytona

8. -red_nite-

-red_nite- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    i have a pady braid and have since 99... mine reaches almost to my waist.. [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/TheRedNite/DSCF0120.jpg]
    i decorated it for C3 and have been asked SOOO many times "is that your real hair??" i think its because the res of my just past shoulder length hair is dyed red... and the braid is brown... but its mine...
    :D i love my pady braid!!

9. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I had two, one behind each ear, but only have one. The cat got it and well, walked away with it hanging out of his mouth. :)
    Thankfully it didn't hurt when he snatched it off. It went from behind my ear to my waist.
    I'm regrowing the second one and have an extenstion the samae shade as my hair attached to it until it grows much longer. I get asked if it's real all the time.

Now a question, how do you guys deal with the little hairs that stick out all over the place with the braid?

10. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    I used a beeswax, availible at a fine Hot Topic near you ( or Sally beauty). It smooths and conditions. I had to do some trimming upon occasion, since the Padawan braid is prone to split ends.

11. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Nope. Mine's a clip-on. I have several available in different colors if anyone's interested.

12. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks. I'll snag some beeswax.

13. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I used to, but I cut it off when I got my Master's degree. For real. LOL.
  14. jedichic07

jedichic07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Rarma, you make me laugh.......

I had one in the early 80's..before it was called a padawan braid, when it was called a "tail"
    My grandmother hacked it off :p

yes, I am over 30 o_O

15. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    widow_skywalker - ahh, I think I have to be registered on Myspace to view pages, because if I click on the more pics link, it takes me to a registration page...:oops:

16. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    They don't bother me! I just re-braid it! LOL!!

17. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    red_nite...GREAT PIC! Love it!!

And who's the Obi Wan? He looks awesome, too!:cool:

18. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    I had a friend in undergrad who had a serious paddy braid. It came from in front of his right ear and was about 18-20" long. The rest of his hair he kept short and curly, so the braid really showed up. He usually tucked it behind his ear, but I think in our senior year he cut it off. . .Sadness :)

19. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Yeah. I'm going to keep my growing as long as I possibly can. It might end up near the waist again. Once there, I'll jsut kep the ends trimmed. The braid that used to be behing my left ear, is laying on my dresser top.

20. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

The Obi-Wan next to her is Obi-Dan from the Jedi Assembly/Rebel Legion.

As for a braid, I've always considered it, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it :p

21. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Since the early '90s I have had three different "tails". First was the traditional center of the back of the neck 1980's tail to show those friends who had never seen me with long hair proof that I could grow long hair very quickly. The next one was before CII, though I grew it on the left (oops). Had that one cut off and started a new one on the left for CIII. About 6 months before the convention, I started to grow out parts of my hair so I could have an Obi-wan hair cut from Ep 1.

I have since cut it off as it was getting scraggily. At some point I might just grow another one. And all of mine started from 1 inch of hair (I normally keep my hair really short). (I am 48.)

22. Darth_Aramis

Darth_Aramis Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2005
    After Halloween, I'm getting ready to start some Padawan dreads. Yeah! [face_peace]

23. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Very cool. One of these days I'm half expecting the cat to find my braid and I'll see him walking down the corridor with it hanging out of his moutn.

24. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Thanks, saber_holder! He's great!;) [face_love]

25. Magenta_Moonshadow

Aug 14, 2005
    Thanks for that! It's nice to hear from another over-40 female SW fan! I thought I was alone! LOL!!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.