main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does anyone think Sir Clive is Rugby's Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by achtungdaibut, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. achtungdaibut

achtungdaibut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Ah good then I must be on the right board.

Been looking around and hey..Wales has it's very own board!

I'm Dean this is my first post on what I suppose I should call my Homeland board? [face_praying]

I got tired of talking to American's on the main board. Nothing against them. Bless they are like the Uncle you put in the conservatory at Xmas with a can of Stella and close the door behind.

How is everyone? Hope you all enjoyed Ep.3?

2. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Greating Master Dave. Welcome to our little corner of the SW Galaxy. I think you may very well be right about Sir Clive, after all he is holding onto power long after his term in office has expired.

So your American I take it? Don't worry, we won't hold that against you ;)

We have one or two American posters post here from time to time, as much as we try we just can't shake that Meriwyn.

I did enjoy ep3 very much, what did you think of it? I've watched it twice in the cinema and once on the projecter in my house. I must say that I enjoyed it much more in my house, probably because I didn't have annoying kids screaming all the way through the film.

I foresee that in years to come people will look back on ROTS as something special.

However, I would kill to see an extended LOTR type version of that movie. I bet there is just so much more tucked away in some vault somewhere!

3. achtungdaibut

May 19, 2005
    No I'm not American!I was ref: to the main boards I just got lost there...think of it as an Outer-rim Planet.

I'm from Wales and I live in Wales. I was unaware we had our own board. I've been trawling the main boards which are populated by Americans.

It's like the world upside down..everything is $ and their idea of a great film is Independance Day which they call ID4?? oh and they think Terrorism is a new thing and it only happens to Americans. Other than that they are lovely well rounded people!

They are currently sh**ing on Batman Begins so I rather played down the fact that Batman is now Welsh..although I thought it was a good film.

Still nice to meet you.

4. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Good to hear that you are Welsh! So where about's in Wales are you from? Most (if not all) of the posters here are from the South. The Rhondda, Cardiff, Newport etc. It would be nice to have a Welsh poster from the North or West.... Does Wales have an East????

Anyway, good to have you here.

Are they mad? Batman Begins rocked! I think that might be more a case of internet bitching by 12 year olds rather there being something actually wrong with the film. That's all the internet is nowasdays, kids whinning about movies.

And be proud of the Welsh Batman, as I am!

Just read my sig.

5. achtungdaibut

May 19, 2005
    Sadly I'm not from the North. They are all mad. I've never quite understood them even after dating one or two..lovely girls. I am from Swansea..a lovely costal town a bit like Alderaan..maybe one day we too will be blown up and we can start again.

Anyway, I think the Batman thing is mainly due to the disappointing Box Office it's had in America. This probably because the story isn't a series of MTV style money shots.

So how many of the Red Army do we have on here?

And no Wales does not have an East. It has a front-line though!!! no no no just joking.

6. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Just checking out Boxofficemojo. It has made 80 million in under a week in the US. It doesn't look brilliant when you break it down to dailies, but it is still doing very well and should make around 400-500 million dollors.

I would much rather see a good film that people have obviously spent a lot of time and effort on, than watch the numbers in some chart.

One of the best films I have seen all year has been Garden State. That has taken less that ROTS did in the midnight showing, but does that make it any less enjoyable?

Of course not. Films like Batmnan need good boxoffice, but a good story is so much more important.

A front line. he he.

I like it, you'll fit in well here!

EDIT: There are around 7-10 active posters here on the Welsh board, though there are probably more, I just can't really think that hard right now..

7. achtungdaibut

May 19, 2005
    BB will probably gross closer to $200m in America. As you'd expect drop-off's of around 50% each weekend. Plus there are some big blockbuster due.

I really enjoyed it. Luckly the WB people have said it'll warrant a sequel. I hope they do and I hope they keep the dark tone and don't go the way Batman Returns - Batman and Robin.

I hope if one film makes it to $400m in America this year I hope it's ROTS.

8. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well when I said 400-500 million, I was of course refering to worldwide boxoffice, though I suppose It would have helped somewhat if I actually said that. :p :p

I look forward to the sequal, I hope the have Mark Hamill to play the joker, that would really rock. Some people say he might be too old for the part, but he's only in his early 50's, so its not as if he needs a zimmer frame just yet.

But even though Chris Nolan is making it and he's a very sensible guy, you just know that the studio are going to push to have Ashton Kuntcher as the Joker or something. ;)

I think the only movies that will be able to rival ROTS this year are War of the Worlds, King Kong and the New Harry Potter.

I think its safe to say that WOTW won't quite match it, but Kong and Potter could easily match ROTS takings. Though ROTS still has a long run and many, many millions of dollors to make yet. It should comfortably pass the 800 million mark (worldwide).

9. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well looks like you were right. Although I think it's unfair to compair him with Palpatine as Palpatine was actually successful in his rise to the top and control of the Galaxy.

Woody couldn't organise a pee up in a brewery. He should be sacked before the last game, what have we got to lose? We've already lost the series, may as well try something different in the last game.

10. achtungdaibut

May 19, 2005
    What's there to try....snipers in the stands?

11. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    It's worth a try. All i'm saying is that whatever we try anyway is bound to fail, so we have a good opportunity just to go a bit mad and try something new.

I recommend fielding the entire Grand Slam Wales squad!

That should put the fear of god right up em'.

12. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    I didn't either bother watching the game today, it's too ridiculous

Oh, welcome to the boards achtungdaibut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.