main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does the Duel prove that Obi-Wan is better dueler than Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by HagentheSith, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Oh, I didn't mean that Luke won, I was just referencing the fact that Luke always
    seems to be the first one to ignite his lightsaber. I can't remember if he does
    so in the cave on Degobah, but then again, if he didn't, it would defeat the purpose.
    He definetely does on Bespin, and again aboard DS II.
    It would be intersting if it turns out that Obi Wan does the same thing.
    But, Darth Maul already had his saber out in TPM at the duel at the end, right?

2. Extreme_yoda

Extreme_yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    I just dont quite get why obi is better than anakin......i mean if he such a great duelist, then why run from anakin...????...if u see the movie again u would notice that obi wan is running from anakin...from the bridge to the lava floor, always moving.....anakin is moving forward and obi wan is moving backward...i mean c'mon....

now the last scene we see obi wan warning anakin not to make the jump...proving that obi wan knows he gonna do it or aware that he might do the jump...now some people say that obi wan did the same move in ep1 where obi jumps from the pipe he is holding on and slashes maul, but if you guys see more closely you will notice that maul was making an expression of question...u know like wtf is this guy gonna do?? in ep3 we see obi warning obi not to make the jump therefore he knows he might do it

again....if obi was such a great duelist....why run from the duel?? maybe he was afraid that if he were to stand his ground he might lose....notice his behavior in the other movies...in ep1 he just attacked maul until he died....in ep2 he kept attacking even though dooku had lightning, and in ep3 he tried to flee from anakin always on the defensive except for two parts.....the push scene and the last scene

extreme_yoda

3. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Hey, speaking of the duel, wouldn't it have been awesome if we had seen Vader
    pick up Ben's lightsaber in ANH the way Ben picks up Vader's in ROTS?
    Would have been some poignant symmetry.

4. SenatorPrincessLeia

SenatorPrincessLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2005
    IN The DUEL with GG, GG sends 4 of his sidekicks after Obi Wan first, hence starting that Fight.
    Once Obi's disabled them GG says leave Obi Wan to me.. so GG started that fight.

So are Jedi allowed to ignite their light sabres if they are feeling threateded or only if actually threatened and one is drawn on them?

Does luke always light his first in the Prequel Trilogy? I dont remember.

Thats why its funny George made Han Solo shoot 2nd in the re-release of Prequels... shooting first or drawing sabres first, arent they similarly aggressive.

5. Extreme_yoda

Extreme_yoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    I think after PT that changed hehe lol

6. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Yeah, that's the kicker. Knowledge and defense, never for attack.
    Luke draws down on Vader first on Bespin and againt Palpatine aboard the DS II.
    When I get home in the morning, I'll check ESB to see if he draws down on Vader
    in the cave on Degobah. But I am starting to think that when he sees vader,
    the red saber is already lit. Not sure tho.

7. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Obi-Wan is the first to ignite his saber against Dooku in ROTS as well.

8. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    See? An entire pedigree of aggression in the Yoda/Dooku/Qui Gon/Obi Wan/Anakin/Obi Wan/Luke
    chain.

9. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Luke definately draws his saber first in ESB.
    Don't have to look it up. How could you forget? Luke moves in, lights up his saber, and there's that silhouette shot of Vader igniting his blade really slowly.

10. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    That one, I'm certain about. What I am not sure of is the cave test on Degobah.
    Does he ignite first on Vader or does Vader already have his saber lit?

11. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    I think Luke does light it up first...hmmm...too lazy to get up and check.

12. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    I know what you mean. Am working all night, I'll check when I get home in the morning and post. Unless someone looks between now and then.

13. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Topic: Does the Duel prove that Obi-Wan is better dueler than Anakin?

No...but it proves something we ALWAYS knew prior to the duel....Master Obi-Wan Kenobi is a LOT smarter than Anakin Skywalker.

P.S oh and Master Yoshifett(handshake)....Luke ignites his lightsaber first in the cave due to his fear....the cave is a test of fear. that is why Master Yoda warned Luke he was not ready for that particular test yet and also why he tells him of his failure later.

14. Sith_of_Yoder

Sith_of_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2005
    Luke lights his first.

15. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Who the hell cares who lights which lightsaber first? Igniting a saber is hardly a sign of aggression or the darkside. In fact, igniting a lightsaber first in preparation of the inevitable is a prudent act.

16. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah, that is pretty prudent! (Though it didn't do Saesee Tiin, Kit Fisto, or Eeth Koth any good to have their sabers lit up when Sidious attacked them! Stab, Swipe, Swipe, three dead Jedi.)

17. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Well that's certainly true, yoshifett. It didn't do them a lick of good, but it certainly did Mace some good as he was able to outlast the Sith Lord.

18. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Yes, good point, and I agree with you that igniting your saber first is not meant to be a sign of Sithly agression.

19. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Very well, then. Are we agreed that we agree? :p

20. Knight_Mical

Knight_Mical Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2004
    Of course it proves he's better, if Anakin had won he'd be better. This is not just any fight, this is a fight to the death to determine who is the strongest -- Anakin for all his aggression ends up in bits and burnt to a crisp.

Being an offensive fighter doesn't make you better than the defensive fighter unless you end up the victor at the end. Two different styles, doesn't equate to one being stronger and one being weaker, just like in tennis you have the players that go to the net for the kill constantly and the players that stay back and wait for their opponent to make mistakes. The better player is determined by the one who is the winner at the end. Everything else is rationalization and excuses.

21. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Prove is too strong of a word to attach to the outcome of one fight.

To continue your tennis analogy, say for example, that Pete Samprass played Joe Tennis Player 100 times. Pete wins the first 99 and then loses the last one.

Could you look at that single match and say "Ah ha! That match proves that Joe Tennis Player is a better Tennis player than Pete Samprass"?

22. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Of course not, yoshifett. Every one knows that the measure of a tennis player is how hot his wife is and Pete Sampras is married to Veronica Vaughn. Thus, Sampras is teh cool. :cool:

So hawt! Want to touch the hiney!

23. tinkkytone

tinkkytone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Wow! The thread is still going and some of the same points are being tossed about.

Again, as I was watching the movie today I looked objectively at the fight scene between Obi and Ani and it is STILL clear to me that Obi is the better duelist.

I've made many a post as to why, but I wanted to give props to all the folks who still valiantly support this CORRECT notion.

I guess for the ultimate answer we'll have to wait until the DVD November 8th.

Peace!

Tinkky

24. Sith_of_Yoder

Sith_of_Yoder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2005
  25. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    There is no definitive answer on this question.
    Note Tennis analogy above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.