main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Doner kebab 'inventor' dead

Discussion in 'Community' started by danmcken, Oct 26, 2013.

1. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    The Turkish immigrant credited with inventing the doner kebab has died in Berlin aged 80.
    Kadir Nurman set up a stall in West Berlin in 1972, selling grilled meat and salad inside a flat bread.
    He had noticed the fast pace of city life and thought busy Berliners might like a meal they could carry with them.
    While there are other possible "doner inventors," Mr Nurman's contribution was recognised by the Association of Turkish Doner Manufacturers in 2011.
    The combination of juicy meat, sliced from a rotating skewer, with all the trimmings and optional chilli sauce, has since become a firm fast-food favourite in Germany, and elsewhere.
    According to the Berlin-based Association of Turkish Doner Manufacturers in Europe, there are now 16,000 doner outlets in Germany.
    More than 1,000 exist in Berlin to tempt peckish late-night revellers on the capital's streets.
    German companies producing the meat and the machinery for grilling supply 80% of the EU market, the BBC's Steve Evans reports from Berlin.
    Mr Nurman, who emigrated to Germany in 1960, did not patent his invention, and thus did not particularly profit from the doner's subsequent success.
    But in a 2011 interview with the Frankfurter Rundschau, he expressed little bitterness.
    He was happy that so many Turkish people were able to make a living from doners, he said, and that millions of people ate them.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Juliet?

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm don't even understand half that text wall to be quite frank.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    LatvianPotatoFarmer?

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I just saw Doner Kebab and inventor dead and got really sad. Had those things in Germany and they are awesome.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Shwarma guy still fine?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I saw "German" and underneath it, Nurman, and my mind fused the two words together into "Grumman" (as in the aircraft company).

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I saw "Doner" and thought of Donner's Pass. I wouldn't want to have been eating those kebabs.

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    SHPADOINKLE!

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you not get these in the US?

Jesus, they're a 50/50 on hangover prevention. Sometimes so perfect. Othertimes, why? WHY?

beezel26 and Yoda_S like this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    OH GOD NO

I mean it. Kebab is heavenly food.

12. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    RIP Darthboy's father.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i love my dead gay doner kebab inventor

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    BONER KEBAB

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm at work tomorrow so I am unable to partake in this delicacy due to lingering food odours (even after teeth brushing and showering etc...) I will however have a Donner next Friday in honour of this mans memory.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I had some good doner kebabs in Turkey. But the best ones I ever had were in a little shop at an airfield in northern Iraq. As soon as we parked the plane, we'd send the navigator running in to order them, hoping desperately he'd get back before we finished loading cargo.

OK, yeah, my war wasn't exactly hell.

Man, those things were good. Sigh.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Prefer Souvlaki.