main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ DVD Pricing ... Let battle commence! :)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Buzz-Bumble, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

The first of the junk-mail brochures with the Episode II DVD has arrived through my mailbox yesterday, they've also got the LotR DVD advertised as well ...
    HARVEY MORONS ... opps, that should be Normans. ;)

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones DVD
    $49.95 (available 13/11/2002)

Lord of the Rings (Exented version) DVD
    $79.95 (available 12/11/2002)

2. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    $49.95 seems quite expensive ... the Harry Potter DVD went on sale for $29.95 at a few places (The Warehouse, Whitcoulls), and it was also a 2 disc set.

I'm sure The Warehouse will be selling it cheaper for the first week or something. Also, Harvey Norman is usually pretty expensive.

I have heard from a friend who works at Marbecks that only Whitcoulls will have the LOTR "limited edition boxed set" with the extra disc, bookends etc. Apparently Roadshow has done some sort of exclusive deal with them, so everyone else just just be selling the stanard 4 disc set.

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I'm thinking it will be at Whitcoulls and the Warehouse for $44.95 ... I think that's what they both sold the Spiderman DVD for.

Some of those DVD pricing wars get quite heated ... I got the Harry Potter DVD for $29.95 at K-Mart, which was $10 bucks cheaper than the RRP. Not that I'm complaining ;)

re: The LOTR ultimate collector's edition:

from their DVD mailing list:
    Also don't forget that you can still pre-order and secure your copy of the upcoming Lord of the Rings Collectors Edition Set - available only from Whitcoulls.

Lord of the Rings
    Collectors Edition DVD set.
    EXCLUSIVE TO WHITCOULLS
    Release date Nov 12
    DVD $199.99

This exclusive Collectors Edition contains a 5 disc set that includes the widely available 4 disc set plus an extra documentary by National Geographic "Beyond the Movie" plus two book ends based on Argonauths from the movie and designed by Weta.

This edition is available only from Whitcoulls!

There are strictly limited quantities so simply go into your nearest Whitcoulls store and pre-order now!

4. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    My brother's girlfriend works for The Warehouse which is a blessing - i scored LOTR on video for $12.55. Hopefully I should be getting AOTC for a similar price. I have yet to buy a DVD player; I see no point until they are able to record on to them at a reasonable price.

5. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Wow! That was fast, we're already off the originl topic! ;)

There was some video "expert" on the radio on Tuesday who reckons that DVD-recorders will be "under $500" by the end of next year ... hmmmm, he could be right, but it would help if they finalised on ONE format. At the moment you get DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW, and DVDs written in some computer drives won't work on TV boxes. :(

There are some nice package deals around at the moment. Philips has one where you get a 29" flat-screen TV and cabinet, home theatre DVD system and video recorder for $2,999. Panasonic have a similar package where you get a 29" flat-screen TV and cabinet, DVD player, video recorder and microwave for $1,999.

Both Samsung and LG Electronics now do a VHS / DVD combo unit for around $800. HOPEFULLY, these will become VHS / DVD-recordable boxes soon (at a similar price!) so I can play both formats and not clutter up the area around the TV - except for around the back, that'll be spaghetti junction! :)

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i can usually get a discount on dvds and such.....i have a past time job in retail

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Kitt: where did you get that info from about "only at whitcoulls". Seems bollocks! And they're charging more than what they should!

Plus there's "suppose" to be a set of trading cards - but that's not mentioned in that paragraph you've copy pasted. Why's dat?

8. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    It's from their DVD email newsletter. You sign up for it in store.

Are other places selling the $199 version as well? mis-leading advertising if so, lol.

9. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Whitcoulls may be the only 'official' NZ seller, but no doubt some places are 'grey / parallel' importing them from Australia (or even US or UK - check the region code before buying!!!). :)

10. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Whjat do you mean Buzz? Do UK DVD's not play on our DVD players or something?

I'll prob just buy it from Whitcoulls :(

11. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Exactly - unless you've got a multi-region DVD player of course (which tends to be most newish players).

UK / Europe is in Region 2, while New Zealand is in Region 4 with many other near bottom of the barrel countries like Central America, Mexico, South America, Caribbean, Australia, Pacific Islands and others.

There's a list of the countries and region codes here.

Thankfully I'm pretty sure that the stupidity of DVD Region Codes is on the way out! :) (Just as they bring in silly music CD copy-protection schemes :( )

Now, if we could only get rid of Microsoft as well. ;)

12. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    so has anyone seen a better deal for AOTC on DVD than $49.95? I hope The Warehouse does a better deal on the first week or something ...

Lawrence

13. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I think they're all laying low until they find out what their competitors are selling it for.

14. Enapie

Enapie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2002
    Got the Countdown Supermarket flyer yesterday, they are selling Episode II DVD for $33.95 which means K-mart will have to be cheaper then that :)

15. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Geez! Countdown Supermarkets selling DVDs! This planet is really going down the tubes with every company taking the "Microsoft do-it-all" appraoch. :(

Edit:
    I've just checked the Foodtown / Woolworths brochure that's arrived in today's junk-mail on the off-chance, and low and behold ...
    Star Wars Episode 2
    DVD $33.95
    Video $24.95

Lord of the Rings ("Special extended version")
    DVD $64.95
    Video $34.95

Good grief!! [face_plain]

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    jeepers! oh well ... foodtown Glenfield, here I come.

17. farmboynz

farmboynz Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2001
    Foodtown onehunga here i come

Next they will be selling figures

bring on the super wal-mart, they are cool

and wal-mart exclusives

i wonder if wal-mart will come to little NZ, maybe i should write them an email

18. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I wonder if the stores actually have the DVDs yet ... maybe worth scouting around and asking people to check out back.

19. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

It might be worth waiting, maybe the Warehouse or K-mart will throw in a freebie of some sort. :)

OR, if as Enapie hinted at, if K-Mart has a more expensive price you can go in and say you've seen it cheaper at XYZ and they have some sort of price guarantee they have to meet (not sure if it's equal the other price or take off another 10%). :)

20. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    dick smith hsa it for 39 or so......

21. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

I saw an advert last night showing a Mustek DVD Player for $199 at K-Mart. :)

No news on their price for the Episode II DVD yet though. :(

22. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    popped into foodtown this morning on my way to work ... probably a bit early, but no sign of LOTR DVDs

Lawrence

23. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    ooo I'm so excited .. one more sleep until the AOTC DVD!! The last time I saw it, was on May 17.

24. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    ::smash the system::

Can I suggest anyone who works in town and plans on buying the 5 disc limited set, that they buy it from Marbecks and not Whitcoulls. Basically, Whitcoulls tried to set up an exclusive deal with Roadshow so they would be the only people able to sell the boxed set. However, DVD World have parallel imported a bunch and are supplying them to other retailers.

I think this is a classic example of a big company using their bulk buying power to try and squeeze the little guys. Competition is healthy, and if the smaller retailers go under, there will be no incentive for them to keep up the competition, and you'll lose choice. Someone was talking about how great Wal-Mart was in the US? Wal-Mart are responsible for closing down thousands of small retailers when they move into midsize towns in the US. They create unemplyment and only sell a limited number of products.

I was travelling 'round the US a few years back, and (as usual) spent a fair amount of time in record stores. Wal-Mart will only sell chart records, and often not even them if they contain coarse language etc., ie. Eminem etc. (OK< he sucks, so it's a bad example) Anyway, try going into Wal-Mart to buy anything remotely obscure. You're screwed ... The number of times I asked people "is there a decent record store around here?" only to be told "there was until Wal-Mart came along". Read Niaomi Klein's "No Logo" if you want tp see how Wal-Mart effects the economy of small-town America.

OK, I'm off topic now, but think where you spend your money. By all means, look around for the best deal, but if the prices are the same, try to support the little guy ...

Lawrence

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's at Real Groovy too...

Ext. Edn

Though the price is steep, that can be offset by trading in a few old CDs / DVDs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.