main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Echoes of Always - L/M - Complete - Second Fan Art added 4/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ginchy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    He was the Grand Master of the Jedi, but at the moment he felt more like a toddler caught with his hand in the cookie jar.
    Hehehe. I love that image.

This is simultaneously both a good and bad thing. I love that they are together again, but, Ben :_|. Will we see what he will be up to in his universe?

The whole bit about her keeping a few pieces of his clothes made me want to cry for personal reasons. Damn you Ginchy! Where's the smuuut?

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Farmboy is so cute when he screws up, lol.

Lets hope they can sort this out before they both do something they are gonna regret.. ;)

3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I love that embarrassed Farmboy/Jedi Master.

I'm already stoking up on kleenex for your next interlude.

4. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    When nothing happened, he tapped the screen again, naively hoping that he had pressed in the wrong spot
    And I know exactly what he looks like when he does taht too!:p

Mara growled, her own face tinged red as she stood in front of him. Just moments before he had been kissing her lips, but now they were twisted on her face, her eyes above them revealing her anger. ?Why are you still here? I thought this thing was going to pull you back to wherever you came from??
    So Mara!!! And no, she wouldn't take that vision things well.;)

she handed the device back to him. ?I wonder if somewhere in the infinity of time there?s a Luke who chose not to push that screen.?

He looked up at her, wounded, but didn?t speak
    This is so THEM!!!!![:D] =D= [:D]

Awesome recalling of the EU this far!

Even if she wasn?t his Mara, she was still Mara
    And this is so Luke to think this way! [face_blush] You know, you just answered my opinion on when he started to love Mara; he did that, love-cared, from the moment he saw there was pain in her eyes on Myrkr, knowing it had something to do with him - but the moment he was allowed to (= knew she cared for him too = wouldn't mind if he let go), he fell in love. Know what I mean?

We?ll make that jump when we get there, but the short answer is probably not.? She tapped at the controls a few more times and then turned in her seat. ?Right. I?ve cancelled a few meetings and handed over my classes to other Masters. Now we have nothing but time. How are we going to get you home, Skywalker??
    Again - so Mara! So businesslike - yet so human! I LOVE THIS FIC!!!!!

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great mulling over scene with Luke and trying to uncover his true motives for coming/the gadget not working [face_thinking] =D=

Mara's reactions are very in character :* Even in this very unusual context ;) she's herself

@};-

I suppose LOL Luke has to get back to his time and place, but a part of me is glad he's still with Mara; she's enough like "his" Mara-courageous and outspoken, loving and passionate.

:)

6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Mara was silent, and Luke braced himself. As always, with Mara, it was one step forward and many steps back.

?Did you turn it on?? she asked sardonically, stepping close to him to look at the lighted screen.

[face_laugh]

That's our Mara.

Poor Luke! stuck here, where he really shouldn't be at all.

That last part got my head a little spinny, though -- if Nielli exists in Mara's universe, then is there a second device, too, that Nielli has? Or is there only one device? But isn't Nielli in Luke's GFFA? [face_hypnotized]

Still loving this story.

7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I wouldn't mind Luke getting his hand caught in my cookie jar. [face_whistling]

Wait, if there are two devices how do we know another Luke didn't click that device for other reasons? Was Mara's dead Luke really from her reality? Maybe Luke in her reality died with Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen and a Luke from an alternate reality took over the dead Luke's life. And maybe another Luke is using the device to kill Jacen and maybe I have a device and I am blowing up all the Eye of Palpatines in all the realities! The possibilities are endless!

Update!

8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Yay! It's Monday!!! Mara IS the universal constant! Poor Luke, his decision to jump to the other dimension reminds me of his decision to go to Cloud City. He has such a huge heart that it sometimes gets the better of him.

Bravo! =D=

9. CurtisZidaneZiraa

CurtisZidaneZiraa Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2010
    Double review just for you, ginchy! One here, one on ffn. Love this! Love just about all your writing!

10. Mondra

Mondra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2010
    Even gray-haired and wrinkled Luke is still as careless as the one that blew up the first Death Star... But I guess Mara wouldn't want him any other way - in spite of their different personalities they make a fantastic team and complete each other in many differet ways - and you wrote that part perfectly! I can see why this chapter is so important.
    But... I WANT MORE!

11. LVB

LVB Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2005
    Another great update! I wonder what they're going to find with this Naelli character. *hugs you* thanks for updating :D

12. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Thanks, everyone!! [:D] Tomorrow is Interlude 2, Death. You might want to bring Kleenex. But I think Interlude 3 -- Love -- will make up for all these tears... Hopefully. ;) The posting date on that one is still TBA. (A teaser to keep you all coming back after 'Death'. LOL!!!)

[b] JediMara77:[/b] I can think of a few things she can do with him, too. But Mara always seems to want to kill him than kriff him? or does she?? [face_mischief] I like how you say he is cocky but lacking self-confidence. So many things they have him do in profic bear this out. I?m trying not to make him too wishy-washy. I want him to be that Luke we all want (and need) him to be! Thank you, lady!!

[b] Briannakin:[/b] Yes! You are so right. It?s both a good and a bad thing that he?s stuck. It?ll be awhile before we see Ben, but we will see him. He?s integral to the story (and to Luke). I?m sorry for making you cry! As for smut? well? [face_devil] Thank you!!

[b] RedGold:[/b] Isn?t he?? [face_love] What could they do that they might regret, girl??? LOL Thanks!

[b] Hazel:[/b] He is adorable when embarrassed, isn?t he? LOL Yes, I think Kleenex might be needed for the Interlude. I?m sorry!! But Interlude 3?that one will make up for it, I think! Thanks, girl!

[b] kataja:[/b] Girl, I can just see his face, too, when the device doesn?t work. LOL And I love that the exchange between them over another Luke using the device came off so well. Thank you! And I totally agree with you on when Luke fell in love. I think you?re exactly right. [face_love] I?m so glad the story has caught you. I hope it continues to delight you. Thanks!!!

[b] Jade_eyes :[/b] I think you?ve hit the nail on the head?she is Mara even if she?s not HIS Mara. So it makes it that much harder for him. He can?t help but be drawn to her. She?s his soul mate. Imagine that he knows everything about her, but doesn?t really, because she has a whole other set of memories and experience. In short: He?s hooked. But, there?s his son to think about?. Thank you, gal!!

[b] divapilot:[/b] Girl, my head spins with it all, too. It?s hard to keep the universes straight! I hope I make it easy enough to follow along with. Thank you!!

[b] Jedi_Lover:[/b] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] You crack me up, lady! But you?re right?the possibilities are endless!! I toyed with the idea of him jumping through multiple dimensions but decided to stick with just the one. But I like your idea bout blowing up all the Eye of Palpatines. ;) Thanks!
    [b] Jade_Pilot:[/b] She really is a universal constant! And I love how you say that about Luke?s big heart. We love him for it, but sometimes it?s hard to live life with your heart on your sleeve. Thank you sweet lady!!!

[b] CurtisZidaneZiraa:[/b] That?s so sweet. Thank you! And a double review is awesome!! [face_hugs]

[b] Mondra:[/b] Yes! He is still like the Luke she fell in love with. She loves that impetuous nature even if it does drive her to distraction (and not always in a good way). This was an important, if short and slow chapter. I?m glad you enjoyed. Thanks!

[b]LVB:[/b] Naelli will give them some information that?s very important? but do they want this info? [face_hugs] Thank YOU!!

13. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Poor Luke. That device is tied to the user's intentions and wishes. He's not ready to leave yet.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I'm not sure that seeking out Naelli (sp?) will give him what he wants.

Bring on "Death." I'm ready for it.

14. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    taramidala: The device is tricky. I think you're right--the answers they get concerning it are not going to be ones that they like. And here's 'Death'... [face_devil] Thanks for reading, gal!!

*hauls in Kleenex* Y'all still lub ginchy, right? Right?? [face_worried] 'Death' is set prior to the beginning of EoA and is meant to show you the mindset of both Luke and Mara before the story begins. I hope it fills in some blanks.

[hr]

[U][B]Death[/B][/U]

ALT 33 ABY

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“He’s asking to see you.” Leia’s dark eyes were concerned as she looked at Mara. “They said he’s constantly asking for you, and the children.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Mara flinched almost invisibly, but set her mouth and shook her head. “Luke is dead, Leia. I watched his body disappear. All that was left was his hand and clothing. He’s dead.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“I know,” Leia soothed. She sat down next to Mara. “But this one…he seems to know so much about us, about Luke…”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“He read it on the HoloNet.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“Some of the things, though, about our father and our time in the Rebellion, seem so real. I guess I’m just projecting my own hope onto him.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Han entered the room with three glasses. He handed them to the women as he sat across from them. “We’re just wasting our time going to see this lunatic,” he said, his face dark.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Mara nodded in agreement and took a drink, smirking at Han when she finished her swallow. “Whyren’s. Thanks. I needed that.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]He gave her his infamous lopsided grin. “I think we all do, sister. I’m getting real tired of all these Luke wannabes showing up claiming to be the Kid.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]**[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]42 ABY[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“Ben?” Luke asked through the door of Ben’s room, knocking on it lightly. “Everything okay in there?”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“Leave me alone.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Luke heaved a sigh. Ben had just returned from an extended mission. He’d been livid to find that Luke moved them from the Temple to an apartment in another district. They fought and Ben retreated to his room. “I’m sorry that I didn’t discuss moving with you. I just… Ben, I couldn’t stay there any longer.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]The room remained silent. He tried to reach out to his son through the Force, but as usual Ben was hiding his presence. After a long moment of trying, he gave up. He went into his bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed, staring blankly at the wall. Mara’s murder had decimated the already fragile relationship between himself and his son. He had never expected his life to turn out like this, that he would be a widower with a distant son in a galaxy that was once again in ruins around him.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]The trip to Ossus didn’t take long in the Falcon. Ben had stayed home with Betrys, who had just celebrated her twenty-first birthday. She had been angry to hear that yet another man was claiming to be her father and refused to talk about it. She had the tendency to withdraw into herself, just like Luke had. Mara knew she would have to bully the pain out of Bets when she returned.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]She wasn’t sure why they were going to see this man, just another in a long string of men who pretended to be Luke since he died. The universal outpouring of grief after his death had been expected. He had been in the public eye for so long, the hero that the public had needed. There had been a State funeral and a private Jedi one, but here and there over the galaxy there had been memorials and statues erected. Every anniversary of his death led to HoloNet programming describing Luke’s life and achievements. But the one thing Mara hadn’t counted one was the sheer number of people who would come forward and claim to actually be Luke.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]The first time she had been so angry that she punched the pretender in the face. After that she became almost accustomed to it, efficiently proving that each fake Luke was indeed a pretender. But it didn’t make it any easier on her, to go through this time and again. Just when she would start to heal, another blond man would get a delusion of grandeur and take up her time.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Ben deigned to come out of his room when Han and Leia stopped by for dinner. They had taken to doing that often, stopping in to see how Luke was doing. He appreciated the gesture, but didn’t know how to tell them that it almost made his heart ache more to watch them interact and talk, to be the couple they’d always been.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]He didn’t begrudge them their happiness. They had lost more than anyone with the death of Anakin. But Luke was back to feeling like the third wheel.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“Hey, Kid.” Han punched him lightly in the shoulder. “What’s going on with you guys?”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Ben started talking about his recent mission, relating a humorous story that had Han chuckling. Luke bit back jealousy at how easily Ben conversed with his uncle. They had always been that way, close in a way that he and Ben hadn’t.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]When had things gone so wrong? He caught Leia’s eye and tried to give her a reassuring smile, but he didn’t feel reassured at all. Everything was falling apart and he had no idea how to fix it.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]It had taken even less time to debunk this faker than it had the others. He didn’t even carry a passing resemblance to Luke and had gotten all of his information from an underground biography of Luke’s life.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Han squeezed Mara’s hand before taking his seat in the captain’s chair to take them home. Mara sat on the couch in the lounge, the anger inside threatening to bubble out. Why did this keep happening? When would people move on and leave them alone?[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Leia came and sat next to her on the couch, her disappointment noticeable through the Force. “I knew it wasn’t him…but I just miss him so much, I guess.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]“Me too,” Mara whispered. “When he said that he had a message for me, that he knew Luke’s last words to me…” She tried to stop the angry tears that leaked out of her eyes, but couldn’t. “His last words were not ‘I love you’. I should have known.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Eyes full of sympathetic tears, Leia gave a sad smile. “Everyone thinks his last words were ‘I love you’. But, I’ve never asked—what were they?”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Mara took a deep breath, eyes far away as if in remembrance. “‘It’ll be okay, my love…’” She sniffled. “I don’t think he expected the parade of wannabes that would insist on putting me through this every couple of years.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Leia hugged an arm around her and patted her shoulder. “I think he knew you would have the kids, and me and Han. But I’m so sorry, Mara…”[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=13px][FONT=verdana]Mara wiped at the tears and pulled back from Leia’s embrace. Her eyes were still glassy, but she gave Leia a wry smile. “I guess it just hurts because, for just a moment, I let myself wonder… ‘what if?’.”[/FONT][/SIZE]

15. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    :_|

I still love ya, girlie. Because that was beautiful. You gave us just enough. [:D]

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: =D= =D= =D=

That was fantabulously poignant!

First the Ben /Luke side of things. :( [face_thinking] I am glad Ben can relate To Han; :* :* !!!! Han's a pookie bear and that's a fact [face_laugh] and down to earth. What you see is what you get and he doesn't crowd you or pressure you, even by implications. :) That's why Kyp was able to relate to him so splendidly also.

In the profic which was deuced weird anyway, I think the slide for Ben and Luke started in DN with Jacen's influence -- otherwise, they could have been closer IMO. Luke is such amazingly perfectly edible daddy material for a myriad reasons, not the least of which he didn't have a truly nurturing daddy figure.

:p

On the Mara/ALT side - that bites with the impostors. :mad: Yay for Han and Leia being there. @};- [face_love]

But "It'll be okay" as final words -- she's going like "yeah, right." I did think "I love you" would be his last words and/or "Thanks for being my love and best friend." LOL I'm a walking Hallmark card.

[:D]

!!!!

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    You certainly timed this week's interlude well, girl... :_| :_| :_| :_|

But I still love you. It's perfect, it really is. It hurts, but as you said, it hurts so good.

Luke's last words are perfect. They echo "our" Luke's words to Mara after the fight with Shimmra -- "I'll live, my love." I don't think alt Mara ever fully understood why Luke reassured her it would be okay. Just like "our" Luke isn't moving on after Mara's death, I don't think alt Mara has ever let herself deal with the pain, either.

18. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Oh, oh oh, poor, poor Mara! :_| :_| :_| Poor, Leia, poor Han! But how good to see them so close, supporting each other!!! "?I think we all do, sister." :p For once he really means that "sister"

He didn?t begrudge them their happiness. They had lost more than anyone with the death of Anakin. But Luke was back to feeling like the third wheel.
    He's almost childlike in his pain. So exposed. :(

Luke bit back jealousy at how easily Ben conversed with his uncle. They had always been that way, close in a way that he and Ben hadn?t.

When had things gone so wrong? He caught Leia?s eye and tried to give her a reassuring smile, but he didn?t feel reassured at all. Everything was falling apart and he had no idea how to fix it
    :_| this is indeed a misery!!! I wonder why he's and Ben's realtionship became so wrecked. That was the good part about LOTF - that it healed. And FOTJ has truly been building it better and better.

But I know he'll find a way to fix it!!!

Beautiful writing!!!
    [:D] [:D] [:D]

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I am typing this on the run. I have one thing to say:

:_| @};- So sad but so beutifully written.

20. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    :_| :_| :_|

It was heart wrenching... all the impostors and the relationship with Ben :( ... but excellently writen.

@};-

21. Mondra

Mondra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2010
    Oh, indeed, "what if"...? Again, I almost cried in my office during working hours and my co-workers are probably wondering what the hell is so sad about updating our homepage and replying to clients. :D
    I liked how Han supported Mara so much; she is definitely his sister.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    This post really was sad. I really feel for Luke.:_|

23. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Of course meesa still luvs you! [:D] It takes a little rain to get the beautiful rainbow. EEP! Sorry, still getting over this cold and I'm very sappy today. *snif*

Well done! =D=

24. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Thanks for reading, everyone! [:D] Chapter 7 is tomorrow. We'll see if Luke and Mara can find Naelli and the answers to their questions regarding the device...

[b]taramidala:[/b] Awww, thank you!!! It was so hard to write.

[b]Jade_eyes :[/b] Thank you, gal!! Yes, I think Luke is a great dad. I think Han and Leia would be great parents, too. I don?t like how profic has screwed that all up. They are a generation of orphans?you know they would want only the best for their kids! You?re so right about Han. [face_love] As for Alt Luke?s final words?I was trying to stick close to ?our? Luke?s ?I?ll live, my love.?. And I always think that Luke and Mara have a love so deep and abiding that the phrase ?I love you? doesn?t really cover it, you know? This was a hard one to write?thanks for reading!

[b]JediMara77:[/b] I?m so sorry, lady!! I know you had a super rough week!! [face_hugs] I think you?re right about Alt Mara. She is carrying her pain silently. I?m sorry it hurts to read, but I?m glad it?s a good ache. Hopefully Interlude 3 will help. ;)

[b]kataja:[/b] Yes! Han really does mean ?sister? to her. [face_love] In my head canon for the alt universe I like to think that she and Han are close friends. As to Luke and Ben?s relationship, after [i]Sacrifice[/i] I just felt this is where it was going. And I hated it! I was so glad to read [i]Outcast[/i] and find that they had a wonderful relationship. It helped heal my heart some. Thank you so, so much, lady!!

[b]Briannakin:[/b] Thanks so much, girl!

[b]Hazel:[/b] Thank you!! I?m sorry it?s hard to read?it was hard to write, trust me!

[b]Mondra:[/b] Awww, I know the co-worker stare, well. They must wonder what the heck we?re doing when we?re smiling or laughing or almost crying at fic! I so agree about Han and Mara there. Thanks, gal!!

[b]Jedi_Lover:[/b] It is sad! I hope to make it up to him. ;) Thanks, lady!!

[b]Jade_Pilot:[/b] Awww, meesa loves yousa, too(sa)!!! ;) I hope you?re feeling better, gal!! [face_hugs] And you?re so right about rain and rainbows.

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    After the horrible weekend I had dealing with pre-teenager angst I really hope I find bootknocking on my computer tomorrow morning!!!!!! :p