main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA Emerald Squadron Website Goes LIVE!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JarusSarn, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Hey guys, I promised Yvette that I'd have a working news page for you guys by the end of this week, here we are, and here it is...

EmeraldSquadron.com

I'd like as much input as you can give me ;)

2. Maco_Star

Maco_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    looks great love the cityscape idea...ur the man!!

3. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    woo hooo! =D=

4. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    It is very, very awesome. :D
    And thanks for putting up with my nagging. :p

5. Rishadq

Rishadq Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    Dooood,

It is 2 kewl 4 skoOl :) I like it very much -- awesome job!

- Q

6. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    I have heard some comments that the site is too dark. I would like some imput on that. And, now that we have the t-shirts, should the site logo match them, or what?

Also, on a slightly related note, should we have a link to sell our t-shirts or should we just have new members tell us to get them at meetings?

7. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003

That's terrific, thanks so much.

8. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    On the note of "should the T-shirt logo be on the website"... I'd say that

A) The logo I'm designing hasn't been finished yet, because I need input from you guys, so let's put that discussion on hold ;)
    B) The site was designed around my logo and will look best with it.
    C) While the site is free to you, I would like to use it in my professional portfolio, and I'd feel a bit remiss if everything on the site wasn't my design, for the most part.
    C) The logo used for the t-shirt is cool, but in reality, is not a great "design"

And what I mean by the last point, is that it's not cashing in on the obvious tie-ins that your city has with star wars (since the whole focus of Fan Force groups is being local), i.e. you've got a structure that you're well known for that looks stikingly similar to Cloud City ;) and on top of that, your city is always cloudy :D As a professional designer, that's the kind of stuff I look for when designing a logo. I have every respect for Maco_Star, he rocks my socks. And I'm interested in working with Maco to put together some illustrations for the site, i.e. characters and such. I'd really like to discuss it more at the Ren Fair if you'll be there Maco. But for now, I'm going to focus on getting all the pages working, and all the links connected.

And please remember that I'm doing this in my spare time at work, for free :p Some parts might take longer than others. (the image gallery script is currently throwing me off a bit, and will probably have to be rebuilt)

9. Maco_Star

Maco_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    I will definately be there and I also wanted to talk to you about job oppertunities in your feild. I love art and design and I would rather use my skills for that...

10. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    I don't want you to think I was being overly critical. The artwork was just a continuity issue. I like both pieces of artwork and just was curious if we should be consistent from each promotional medium.

And I realize you are doing this in your free time. I just wanted to present options for everyone gets what they want on the site and that it reflexes our group as we want. Again, nothing against what you have done. It is great and I appreciate the job you have done. I just want this site to be an expression of all of us. I guess it can be further discussed at ren faire. :)

11. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    w00t. I love talking design

just be careful... if left unchecked, I go off on tangents... :D

12. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    oh, I totally agree, you really do need to have a consistancy, it's called a "corporate image" and it's one of my specialties as a designer :D. And keep in mind that I can revamp your site/image once a year or so, just to keep it fresh... that's what I've been doing with the Spokantina, and I tell you what, it gets better every time :D So, don't think that just because I'm doing this design now, that you'll be stuck with it through all eternity

[image=http://www.thespokantina.com/thespokantinalogo.jpg]
    [image=http://www.thespokantina.com/spokantinalogo.jpg]
    [image=http://www.thespokantina.com/newlogo/newspokantinalogoWIP4.jpg]

13. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Warning: I have not had coffee, and am out of chocolate syrup to make it.

Ok, the site is cool, but I too have issues. I don't want to seem critical, but I think we should think about them at the very least.

1) We don't necessarily have to have everything all matchy-matchy, but the colors should be more consistent. The site is very green/orange, while the shirts are more green/silver. We need some streamlining here.

2) I can't stand black backgrounds with white text. Along with the current size of the text, I personally can't even go to the site without my eyes burning. I definitely think we need to go with a dark text on a lighter background (a light green maybe, or something grey to go with the silver in the shirts?).

JediFarfy

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I don't want to sound mean or anything, but I WILL NOT do a light background on the main page :D, the design is such with the cityscape, that it would look absolutely aweful, and I'd be ashamed of myself for letting that get published. That being said... I'll see what I can do, personally, I LOVE reverse colored websites/ads/designs but I know not everyone does. I can and will bump the text up a few points, that's no problem at all. I am considering changing the black to a dark green and perhaps changing the text to a light green, does that sound like it might be better? I can give a live demo and we can see how it'd look... I can also play with another idea that could potentially give us a light background with dark text on the content portion of the site, but I'm not sure that it would look good in the and, seeing as I'd have to separate the cityscape from the content section, which won't be too bad because of the orange bar that's already there... hmm. Things to think on.

PS. I've been pretty busy at work this week, and haven't had much time to work on stuff, so bear with me.

15. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Check it now

is that any easier for you to read? or does that just make it harder?

16. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Hmm... I was just thinking about it... Perhaps you all would prefer a "cloud city interior" style site, I can change the colors to a green and "glass" white look... this would allow us to do a light background with darker text... what do you think?

17. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    I love that idea. :D

Would you be able to include our green x-wings with that too?

18. JediFarfy

JediFarfy Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    The greens are definitely easier to read and the text size is much nicer. Thanks. :)

JediFarfy

19. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I think you just like that because they're Starbucks colors ;) But I won't keep them that way right now, they're gonna go back to the white on black like before, at least for the weekend, because I'm heading today after work to go talk with a guy who owns a web design company about doing some web graphics for him, and your website will be one of the ones that I show him. :D so it needs to look "good" for that. But next week I'll work on the new Cloud City idea, and I think I may be able to throw some green x-wings in there. I was thinking it might be cool to use the actual pic of the skyline and to add some ships in the green cloudy skies above the city... and you'd see it like you're looking out of some windows in Cloud City... ok, now I'm just rambling :D

20. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Sounds neat! Can't wait to see. :)

21. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    :eek: woha! I'm loving the new ideas! Then again, I love cloud city!!!! LOL:D

22. Rishadq

Jun 19, 2006
    Cloud City Seattle ... you mean, like THIS???!! :)

[image=http://photos.meetup.com/photos/event/2/f/2/0/event_492064.jpeg]

Plug, plug: http://starwars.meetup.com/78/

;)

- Q

23. DetShogan

DetShogan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2006
    I noticed that one over on the meetup club website thingy, thought it was pretty cool

24. Rishadq

Jun 19, 2006
    Thanks Jarus,

All hand sewn pixels, courtesy of Google Image Search :)

Q

25. DetShogan

DetShogan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2006
    Jarus? . .. . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.