main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

* * Empire Strikes Back Online Line Event * * Full Spoiler at WotC Site

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by Jedi_Benji, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, I have some questions.

1) What is up with the location cards? They just seem like mission cards to me. What makes them different?

2) Doesn't the Armor mechanic pretty much negate any card with accuracy? I mean Vader can only be hit with a 5 or 6, so even if I have a card attacking with Accuracy of 2, I still can only hit with a 5 or 6. Unless Armor is only on a very few cards, I think its a bad idea.

2. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Heres my take on it:
    1) Locations are like missions except they offer a permanent effect until it is covered up with another location in that arena. So light side plays something and it will be in effect until the dark side (or light) puts down a new location over it - this adds a whole new dynamic to the game. I think the idea that the dark side can return a character to the light sides hand each turn is really scary (Carbon Freezing Chamber) but at the same time I'm really looking forward to deploying creatures for one cheaper (Wampas cave). I am hoping to make a creature deck as soon as I can. Its just going to be a whole new dynamic to how thngs are played since you can have 3 different locaitons out at once some work against you and some for you but its more to think about and strategize with.

2) I think from what I've read on other boards since it dosne't say a natural 5 or 6 then an accuracy 1 negates armor but accuracy 2 would put it back to a normal 4, 5, 6 hits. They are opposite - one is offensive and one is defensive.

3. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Ah, I didn't know that location cards stay out until another is played. That makes them awsome cards. I'm so excited.

About Armor, it reads, "[Character] is only hit on a 5 or more." I can't remember, does Accuracy add to the dice result, or make a lower number at hit as well?

Normally, I just think of Accuracy as being able to hit with a 3. Maybe I'm mistaken.

4. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Yah locations are awesome :D . Basically accuracy adds 1 or [x] to each of the attack dice so after you do that if you have a 5 or 6 or 7+ then it is a hit with armor.

Example: You roll 4 dice: 3, 4, 6, 2
    With Accuracy 1 add 1 to dice: 4, 5, 7, 3 = 2 hits with armor (only those with 5+).
    With Accuracy 2: 5, 6, 8, 4 = 3 hits with armor.

I imagine the new game boards will have a place holder for locations on the meridian between the light and dark sides one for each arena. I've been thinking a lot abotu the new game board design. There should also be a reserves/retreat area now too. I'm still old fashioned - we use the board ;) .

On other boards they are also talking about you needing to build a higher location in order to place it over the current one on the board, I can't wait to here official rules on it.

5. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Looks like there might have been a problem with printing - I don't know how true it is but it might be even longer before the set comes out :( .

6. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah, accuracy can be cumulative for complete hits but armor can only be applied once which is why it is worded that way (hit on a 5 or more) or a unit could be made invincible.

7. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Looks like there might have been a problem with printing - I don't know how true it is but it might be even longer before the set comes out.

I have to disagree. My retailer told me yesterday that his wholesaler would be shipping today (11/14) or Monday (11/17). This means, he'd have the cards for sale either Monday or Tuesday.

8. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I sure hope so. Then again teh local stores here seem to take forever to get the sets in anyway So I will probably have to wait a little longer. It would be awesome if it was in by my b-day on the 24th :D .

9. OMJ

OMJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2002
    OK the thing is that accuracy will be weaker
    it doesnt add a dice... But anyone know the date of the Release? :)

10. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    I think it's either today or tomorrow.

11. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I just called my local hobby shop and they said that if it comes out today then they will get it Thursday. That is providing that it does actually ship today.

12. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
  13. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Havent seen all the cards yet, but it looks quite good :D

14. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I think no bounty hunters is a good sign... Means perhaps the next set might revolve around them more.

15. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I've looked at quite a few of the cards but not all of them. Are there any units with reserves?? I love that ability and was hoping to see more of it.

16. OMJ

OMJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2002
    hmm no reserves? that was so cool ability better than enhance.. enhance is just the same as "kicker" in Magic if anyone has played magic (invasion block)... I think wotc iz cheap in finding ideas 2 the game but location is okey :) like the old game :)

about that how locations work iam not sure but looks like if "I play Hoth system and you degobah system it will replace hoth system" <---- an Example :) if it is like this its nice :) but I missed Boba Fett thought he would come in this set :) Hope they make Dengar or somthing next exp. But whats with the (B) qui gon? wheres (A)???

Im gonna abuse wedge snowspeeder like hell!

and Han's Promise Those cards were 2 g00d!

|------| ___ _
    ---------||||||||-------------| |-----------
    ======================== | /
    | /
    ======================== | /
    ----------------------------------------

:)

17. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    You play a location and its effect stays down until it is replaced by yourself or your opponent by a card of higher build cost (I think not quite sure how that works yet). I think they are saving Boba Fett, Dengar, Zuckus, Bossk, and the other bounty hunters for the next set hopefully (as well as the emporor). Enhance I kind of look at as a combo sort of thing not a bad idea but not a huge change in dynamic.

I think Qui-Gon A was scrapped and B was approved. Once a card is approved then they won't change the letter. We might see an A later maybe when they do Ep1. I think that is what they said happened.

18. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Wait, so the location satys out until another is played with a HIGHER build cost? So if you put out a location will, let's say a 6 build cost... and the opponant only has location cards with costs 4 or less... than yours stays out the entire game?

19. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Thats the part I'm not sure about. I'd have to see the new rules pertaining to locations. I wonder if you build a card that is 4 and put 2 extra build counters on it for 6 can it replace the one currently out based on the principle of you spending the extra for it?

But the general idea is that they stay out across turns until they are played over.

20. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Wait, so the location satys out until another is played with a HIGHER build cost? So if you put out a location will, let's say a 6 build cost... and the opponant only has location cards with costs 4 or less... than yours stays out the entire game?

You can pay 7 build, or more for that 4 cost card and it will replace the card.

Also, im wondering when they will bring in space Locations, it would be fun :D

21. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ahh so it has to be higher and not just tied.

There are a few space locations - Bespin System, Asteroid Field, Dagobah System. That might be it, there seems to be a majority of character locations.

22. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    No. To replace a Location in an arena, you pay the equivalent cost of a Location already in the corresponding arena.

It does not have to exceed the other Location's build cost.

Uh, BTW, I got my boxes and 2P Starter yesterday, so I've read the rules.

23. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Thats cool. I'm glad they included Mara Jade in the starter decks - since its a fan made card, might as well make it accessible to everyone.

24. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Redneck Jedi always beats me to the right answers! :D

25. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Thats cool. I'm glad they included Mara Jade in the starter decks - since its a fan made card, might as well make it accessible to everyone.

Hmm, i must pick up a starter pack now :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.