main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    I heard mid last year that there was talk of a remake of the classic Tron....anyone else hear about this?

Its one of those movies that was way ahead of its time at the time - but how would it stand up these days....?

I still love the original generation Tron though - those light cycles will always be awesome to me...[face_dancing]

2. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    This rumor has been going on for a while now. I think they abandoned the movie idea and went with a video game instead. Anyone feel free to correct me; but I think that is the case. Oh..the original is good stuff. Disks,Lightcycles, good music..it really is a cool film. We don't need a sequel..or god forbid another remake..which is all anyone is doing these days. Bridges is Flynn and Boxleitner is Tron..that's it. That's like having Ben Affleck play Steve McGarrett in Hawaii Five O...or Colin Farrel playing Sonny Crockett..or anyone playing Magnum PI. It just doesn't work.

and yeah..it really was ahead of it's time. It think it would be really hard to replicate that.

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    When they released the Deluxe DVD they advertised something called Tron 2.0 or something like that. The initial rumour was that this would be an all new sequel. It was later revealed that plans for a sequel fell through and that the focus was redirected to a video game.

There's an 80s cheesiness to Tron that cannot be avoided, but I still love that film. How many boys my age sped along on their bikes imagining they were lightcycles, or played frisbee to the death? :)

V-2 likes this.
  4. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Tron really paved the way for Bycycle safety gear.

V-2 likes this.
  5. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ....and probably the idea of 'Force Pikes' too.....[face_thinking]

Wonder why Mr Prowse was never invited to the set to give them the Green Cross Code?
    [image=http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/g/greencrosscode1.jpg]

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As I understand it, they came out with TRON 2.0 the game first, as a sort of test. The idea was to build off of that into a sequel film, but it seems to have sputtered out.

7. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Pixar should do a CG Tron film. I'd see it.

BTW, the Tron 2.0 game is way cool.

8. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    There's going to be a Tron world in the new Kingdom Hearts game, too.

9. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    I don't know if anyone is old enough to remember, but when Tron came out, it was going to be the wave of the future in terms of film. The idea was that alot of SF films after Tron were going to look like Tron. I recall seeing an article in Life magazine about it.

10. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Yup. It was all about the use of computer graphics in film, and video games as inspiration. They were right, but it just took another 10 years or so after Tron for it to come about.

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i forget but didn't they make fun of Tron in a family guy episode before?

12. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm kicking myself to this day for not having purchased the original Tron arcade game (full arcade, mind you... with the Lightcycles and all, not the "Discs of Tron") for $50 when I had the chance several years ago.

I'd actually love to see what might have come from a Pixar-made Tron 2.0.

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    You should kick yourself. That was the best game ever.

When I think about how many quarters I pumped into that thing...
    They should of given me one.

14. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    Nah, the Star Wars one was better. [face_whistling]

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Why remake it ? The original is gold. What would be gained from remaking it ? Improved special effects ? Despite being 80s, the special effects work because they used what the had to it's feasible limits resulting in "realistic" special effects, rather than over-doing it and creating obviously poor special effects.

The plot/themes are more relevant today (ie hacking, uploading small programs to ruin massive computer systems), but nothing has really changed.

Besides, a remake might encourage more of this:-

[image=http://www.geekitude.com/Pictures/Linucon2004/Ex45TronUpCloseRot.jpg]

16. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Tron Guy is not afraid of you, MalkieD2!

[image=http://www.conmicro.cx/tronguynotafraid.jpg]

17. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I never said anything about a remake. I was talking about a potential sequel. I mean, what else does Jeff Bridges have going these days besides signings for Big Lebowski fan conventions.

18. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I heard they were thinking of calling the remake "The Matrix."

:p

M. Scott

19. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    Shorty after the 20th Anniversary of TRON, Steve Lisberger was on NPR and stated he was trying to get a sequel made but he didn't have very high hopes about it. He did say that he had talked with Jeff Bridges' people and there was interest in him returning as Flynn.

Unfortunately this never got off the ground and it's considered dead.

I did hear a cool idea for the sequel story though. It was much like Joesph Campbell's Heart of Darkness. Flynn had to return to the electronic world to go in a "delete" another human that went in and was wreaking havoc on modern systems. I would have loved to have seen that play out.

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Fixed. ;)

This does sound like a very cool idea.

M. Scott

21. X-Wing-Ace

X-Wing-Ace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2006
    I've got some old old interviews with Steve Lisberger about Tron from 1982, and he said if the film was successful he intended to make more Tron movies using loads of new plots and vehicles. But seeing that it was so ahead of its time that very few in the audiences could understand the plot and the lingo, it did poorly in the box office hence any possibility of sequels were dropped.

But, as others have said here, should a sequel be made now? Tron was a movie of its time, a movie of video arcades, Atari VCS's and Space Invaders, not of fruit machine arcades and ultra realistic, rather bland gameplay home video games. It's still a film that takes pride of place in my Top 5 movies of all time, but maybe it should stay a one off classic movie from 1982, and not be ruined by a sequel that could taint the original's uniqueness.

22. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    The picture of that Tron-guy above is disturbing.

Still think the Tron/Sark fight is awesome. I was a new spin on the whole duel-between-the-good-and-bad-guy thing since the lightsabers in Star Wars.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes. That is every different kind of wrong. [face_worried]

25. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Not only were all Sci-fi movies supposedly going to look like TRON, but TRON was also the highest standard there would ever be... Heck, even Doctor Who now has better effects. ;)

The remakes that are being made are bad enough. Let's not encourage them to do more.