main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Episode 3 Planning

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Besides seeing Episode 3 as a group at the first midnight showing, we may want to also do something similar to what we did for the first weekend of the Imax Attack of the Clones personation at Tinsel Town. This would include members being present for the first Friday evening, All day Sat.and all day Sunday to entertain the crowd, promote our selves and the film. Also helping the theater organize the lines and other little things. We could also tie in some sort of charity activities. Tinsel town theater will be our first choice for doing this at. We need to contact someone at the Theater soon so that they are aware of our interest. Please post all thoughts, ideas and concerns concerning this here.

2. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    I'm sure that many local theaters will have posters and displays up for Episode III weeks if not months before the movie is released.

I wonder if we could work with any of the theaters and get permission to place a sign with information about fanforce. That way people looking at the Episode III movie poster can learn that we are out there.

As I'm new to the group - I don't know who's got what skills - but I could probably help create signs for such a purpose. Does anyone have contacts for local theaters?

What type of contact information would we want to include?

3. TD-027

TD-027 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2004
    I don't know about you all but, I am going to camp out for this one! If anybody wants to camp out with, let me know. REMEMBER only 1 Star Wars movie left we have to make the most of it!

TD-027 (Duane)

4. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    Hopefully they plan this release better - and don't put the tickets on sale the weekend of Celebration III.

Tickets for Episode II went on sale during Celebration II.

-KnightShade-

5. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    I would like to start discussing our plans for the first weekend of Ep.3 on the 27th meeting. I need to have some idea so I can start talking to Tinsel Town management about it. I will probably go over there on the weekend after we come up with some idea and see if they would be interested. I cannot do this during the week. If anyone would like to be involved with the discussion with Management they are very welcome to join me.

6. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    I can probably come along - just let me know when you plan on going. It might also be good to call ahead so you make sure you go when the theatre manager (or if they have someone else who arranges these sorts of things) is actually working when you go.

~Doc_Bev

7. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Yeah, good idea to call first. I just hope those kinds of people are around on the weekend.

8. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    I know how to contact Mr. Sansweet, in order to get official approval and stuff. First we need to think of what we will want to do. Basically we will be telling him what we would like to do, and asking for permission and some kind of letter from him to present to the theater management. We will then approach the theater with this letter and see if they would be interested and what they will allow. Tinsel town is the one to shoot for so we will start there first. Based on what happened at the Imax premier it may work out well with them, but it seems like the management has changed so wee will have to see. Getting a letter from Sansweet will help out a lot. So once we deiced on what we would like to try and do, I will write up a little letter to email him and then review it with you all. I will probably need some help since I ain't very good at that stuff sometimes.

9. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    If the management isn't familiar with the groups (groups being FF, RL and 501st) it might be a nice idea to give them a photo CD so they can see some of what we did at the Ep II Imax event and stuff. That way, maybe they'll have a better idea of what we're up to.

10. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Thats a good idea. I got a couple photos from Imax.

11. TD-027

Feb 27, 2004
    Hey All,
    I Know I missed the Meeting on the 27th, Did we discuss the Episode III Opening Week? I know alot of people were leaning toward Tinseltown but, I think I'm going to go with Regal 18, I know Tinseltown is the biggest but, I really want to camp out for the last Star Wars Installment and Tinseltown is dead set against that. I know the Regal Henrietta 18 let people camp out for Episode II so I think I'm going to go there. I don't want anyone to think I'm being anti-social but, I've wanted to do the camp out thing since Episode II, so I I'm going to do it, Last Star Wars flick, Last Chance for Fun.....

TD-027 (Duane)

12. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    We can discuss it this Sunday, but I personally would not like to see our event be a line up or tied into one. I was sort of involved with the Episode One line up at TT and know why they are not willing to do anymore. Its some of the same reasons why I do not want us as a Chapter to be involved with one or organize one. Lots of problems. Anyway the type of thing I am thinking of us doing would be the first weekend of the movie being played. Ticket sales are usually 2 weeks ahead of time, so a line up would be like a separate thing. You can do the line up, see the movie at regal which would be Thursday night I guess, and still be involved with the TT event at some point that weekend if you wanted to. No problem. But like I said we can discuss it and see what everyone wants, maybe we will go to Regal.

13. TD-027

Feb 27, 2004
    Sounds OK to me. I'm down for doing something Star Wars that whole week! My thought was to Start camping Sunday or Monday Night for the Wednesday Midnight showing, we obviously don't have to do that as a group. If we have something set up for the Friday Saturday and Sunday at Tinseltown I'm In! I just wanted to let everyone know if they wanted to come camp out for the Wednesday Midnight showing that I planned on being there to do that. I can't wait for EP 3! BTW for anyone who collects Star Wars Toys K-mart in Greece has the VOTC Kenobi, Solo and Leia this morning. $9.99 but, way worth it! Oh yeah I won't be there Sunday prevoius plans but, have fun at the cookout everyone!

Duane TD-027 ;)

14. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    I am not sure I understand what you are planning on doing. Are you going to camp out for ticket sales, the actual premier day, or both? All I know is I got 3 more vacation days to use until next April. That is if I am still working at the same job. If I start a new job before then I will not have any in time. SO that means no camping out for me. I want to make sure I get a ticket for the first showing at Midnight somehow. For Episode 1. I knew someone in the line up, for EP.2 the club picked an unpopular small theater so It was no problem getting midnight tickets for everyone.

As for an Event at Tinsel town, or someplace else if TT does not work out, we may think about doing something just that Sat. since our numbers are small. Its kind of hard to plan ahead. We do not want to plan a whole weekend and then not have enough members to cover it. Its hard to judge how many new members we may get between now and then. I would not mind hanging out at the theater all weekend, but I doubt everyone else wants to. Everyone else is only about 5-7 at this point. We have to remember that for Imax, everyone came here because they do not have Imax were they live, so this time everyone will be at their own theaters. So in other words we will not have anyone from SC Jedi, or North Ridge, its just us. Not that they are not welcome but obviously they will have their own stuff going on and will have no need to come here. Maybe when we do stuff for the DVD release numbers will pick up but we have to think about if they don't.

15. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    In order to get tickets for the first showing and get a decent seat - you have to camp out for both unfortunately.

At the very least we should be working with all the area theatres to see if we can get permission to put club flyers by the Episode III posters (once they go on display). Then focus on one theatre that seemed the most helpful and has a decent traffic flow to set-up "shop" at on Saturday May 21st.

Camping out for tickets and/or the midnight showing I agree would be a different activity.

16. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Dusting off my cobwebs of inactivity, I would definately vote with Jeff against a big lineup/campout. The last time we did that at EP1, some of our gang had waay too much fun at Tinseltown's expense.

Another thing to consider is all of the wonderful people who take time out of their day to terrorize us. There were about 4 or 5 idiots who decided to drive around the tent camp screaming at us to "get a life".
    There was also the incident when a drunken moron tried to drive through the tent camp at 3am one night. I was asleep in the car and didnt hear anything until he was chased off but it was definately not fun.

Camping for anything longer than one or two nights is a BAD IDEA.

17. TD-027

Feb 27, 2004
    I only Planned on Camping out to get my choice of Seats for the Wednesday Midnight Showing. Even though I may be ridiculed by passers by, I still want to do it. I'm sure I will have fun and as long as it don't get violent, I can live with the verbal abuse people might give. As far as Ticket sales go... I haven't had any problems getting tickets to either Midnight showing of Ep 1 or Ep 2, so I wasn't going to camp out for that! We can discuss it on the 24th if everyone wants.

TD-027 (Duane)

18. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Jeff - How goes the letter to Mr. Sansweet?

~Doc_Bev

19. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    That's my bad! Jeff did a great first draft and I've been trying to revise it but we're trying to get everything ready for the estate sale and my Grandmother's house this weekend.

So feel free to kick me for not sending it back to him yet!

20. HothGirl

Dec 23, 2002
    Letter revised and returned to Jeff.

Bedtime now!

21. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Once I edit it with stuff you guys gave me I am going to email it out. Wanted to get something from Hothgirl since she had more to do with the Imax thing then me. It will now sound a lot better. Thanks both of you. I can't snail mail it to him. I got an email address from a FF GSA, that they use for this sort of thing. At this point he probably has some kind of form letter he signs and sends back, which is fine. What ever works.

22. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    Letter has been Emailed.

23. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    OK. This is what I got back from Mr. Sansweet. He relied quicker then i thought he would. I am surprised.

Jeffrey?

Thanks for your note. It?s a little too early from our standpoint to be planning anything around the Ep III opening. It will be very close to the opening when we know for sure which theaters will be playing the movie, which will have midnight openings, etc. Then there may be the usual charity screenings the weekend before?all of which we?d to involve our fans in. It?s also not clear to me if you are talking specifically about the IMAX theater in Rochester. It is highly doubtful?at least at this point in time?that Ep III will have an IMAX release day and date with the opening. We will start solidifying our plans after the Sept. 21 DVD release, and will start working with groups and theaters after that.

Regards,

Steve

This was my reply.

Thank you for your reply. I was referring to the normal release of Ep.3, first weekend it plays in May. We would approach the Cinemark Theater here in Rochester, which is also Imax, and see if they would have us. Then we would approach others if it did not work out with them. Just wanted to get the ball rolling on this, but if it is to early I understand. We will be waiting to hear any announcements related to this later in the year. It would be great if the same sort of fan involvement arrangement was made with theaters this time around, but for the normal release. Thanks again

Jeffrey Buholtz
    Chapter Representative
    Rochester, NY Fan Force
    The Rebellion

24. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Sounds good!

Maybe while we're waiting we should start thinking about what we want the poster/flyers to say that -KnightShade- suggested we put near Episode III advance posters.

~Doc_Bev

25. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    I think it would be great to work the IMAX opening. If Tinseltown falls through, the management at the Hoyts Cinema 12 at Greece Ridge Center was the best to work with of all theaters that the USS Tranquility have worked at for movie premiere weekends. They were extremely helpful (the manager was a huge science fiction fan) and allowed the club to work at least 2 Star Trek movie openings (maybe even Ep. I). We had a club table with information, costumes, props, photo albums, a charity raffle and even petitions for patrons to sign for Time Warner Cable to pick up the SciFi channel and then our local UPN station twice. We asked trivia questions in the theater with small prizes (trading cards or pins) before the movie started. Diane (who is helping us make out costumes and who may be interested in joining the Rebellion too - she hopes to start her Jedi robes next week) has contacts there, but I don't know if the management is the same. The Tranquility also worked the opening of the last Star Trek movie at the Loews Webster 12 since a member worked there. While they gave us a lot of promo stuff to give out and were helpful when we asked for something, they did not go out of their way to help us or make us feel as welcomed as the Greece Hoyt and there wasn't much traffic in the theater that weekend either. The club also did movie openings at the Pittsford Loews, but I wasn't involved in that first one.

Also many theaters now have locked show cases in their lobbies in which they put stuff from say Toys R Us, props or memorablia to promote a movie. Maybe they would allow the Rebellion to set up a display in one of the locked cases during the run of the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.