main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Errant Venture - book club discussion/info

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Oct 3, 2004.

1. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    What I think is so interesting is that what I often hear people say is that Star Wars is so great because it's so black and white (the films). They like the release of having clearly delineated good/bad sides that they can love/hate.

Anyway, for those who read Dark Nest (or even haven't) I recently finished a poem about the series' culminating battle at Tenupe. It's entitled (unsurprisingly) the Battle of Tenupe, and is available on my blog: http://kosure.blogspot.com/2007/11/battle-of-tenupe.html

enjooooy!

2. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Just finished "Sacrifice". OMG!!!! I cannot wait to discuss this at the book club meeting when it comes around!!

3. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Jaina Solo, finally getting some respect....

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/news20071205.html

4. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Am I going to get spolied if I click that link?

I've only finished book 3 of the Legacy Series.

5. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    No...it's just the cover of Invincible:

Accompanying text says: "This deep into the story, we won't even hint about the events within other than just letting the cover speak for itself"

Although, the cover art itself may be viewed as a spoiler, now that I think about it...;)

6. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Oooch!

I can't remember who said it, (it was years ago) but someone said of the Battle Surgeons cover : "It's not exciting to show the middle of an action, better to go just before or just after." I know this is just before, but I was reminded of that. I think this cover is terrible. You're not missing anything Dan.

7. Vinylcapedjawa

Vinylcapedjawa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2007
    So when in January is the next book club meeting?

8. Rogue4809

Rogue4809 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    The next book club is Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 1:00 p.m. at the Barnes & Noble in Schaumburg. We usually talk until about 3:00 p.m. and then go for lunch nearby.

I believe the book will be Exile.

Hope to see you there!

9. Vinylcapedjawa

May 29, 2007
    Thanks Laura

10. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Picked up the Darth Bane sequel today...it was a hardcover...yay...

11. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Yay!! I'll be able to make it this time. Re-reading "Exile" but already finished "Fury".

12. Vinylcapedjawa

May 29, 2007
    Turns out I won't be able to make it after all to this Saturday's meeting unfortunately. The parental units are coming in from out of town. Have fun guys. I will see you at the next event.

13. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Well, don't forget that February will be in Chicago, with ice skating afterward!

14. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I will be there. I will possibly be late, due to my cousins cub scout pinewood derby.

15. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    We were alerted to the scarcity of next months book, Sacrifice, in bookstores. So in addition to your local library, one might want to check online...so as to not be left out in the cold sans Karen Travis when book club next rolls around. I like addall.com. I got a good deal on my copy this morning.

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    So, I kind of feel guilty about not making it to book club on Saturday. Especially since I could literally stand up from the chair I'm in right now and drive to Barnes and Nobles in less than 10 minutes. Well, that, and I miss seeing you guys. :D

I feel like I'm going to become one of those losers that just shows up to paintball, the BBQ, and the Christmas party. Oh wait, I already am that guy. (...Except that I didn't even show up to any of those events in 2007. Crap!)

I mean, Christ... The next time I see Dan, his daughter will probably be old enough to date.

Long story short: I miss you guys.

17. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    If you're waiting for that, I'm pretty sure his answer will be "no".

18. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    We miss you too Sithy. And Hazmatt is right . . . the answer would be no.

I was able to find "Sacrifice" just down the road at the Borders on Golf Road, but it was the last copy.

Also, we had our big Jedi Council planning meeting after book club on Saturday and we wanted to move around some of our meeting times. Nominally, we meet on the 4th Saturday of the month, but we thought it would be best to make some adjustments. Post here if you think our changes are a bad idea. Here is the proposed schedule through June:

Saturday, February 23rd: Downtown Chicago - "Sacrifice" (no change from previously scheduled 4th Saturday)

Saturday, March 29th: Schaumburg - "Inferno" (change from the 22nd to avoid Easter weekend)

Saturday, April 19th: Downtown Chicago - "Fury" (change from the 26th to avoid conflict with paintball, which is traditionally held at the end of April)

Saturday, May 31st: Schaumburg - "Revelation" (change from the 24th to avoid Memorial Day weekend)

Saturday, June 28th: Downtown Chicago - "Invincible" (no change from previously scheduled 4th Saturday)

19. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, I have no problems with these dates, but I didn't see them until just now, so this post will just serve as a bump.

Oh. And, Yes Kevin, you should come to something again. Though everyone's trying to cover it up with manly "Don't date my daughter" talk?We miss you too.

edit: also, It's Star Wars club. I pretty sure showing up makes you more of a loser than staying him.

20. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    I will be there(first time at the State Street meet). By the way, what is the nearest 'L' stop? I'll be taking the Blue Line.

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Get off at the Washington Blue Line stop. Go one block east to State Street. Then go one block north to Randolph. And just like that, you're there!

22. JodoKast74

Mar 10, 2001
    Am I keeping an eye out for any bushes that you'll be lurking behind?

23. doc4converse

doc4converse Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    I won't be able to come due to work.

I also work on that Saturday in March, but I may stop by - making that time period my lunch hour....

Have fun. I really miss these discussions.

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/Monkey2ewok/Miscellaneous/stalk.jpg]

What?! Of course not. Why would I do that?

25. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    I've got about 150 pages left. But I'll finish, by the Force. Or I'll show up anyway.