main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Everybodys personal opinon:EU starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Literature' started by connermacleod, Aug 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Here's why they won't start over...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I am 100% happy with the plethora of RPG products, novels, comics and videogames the way they are, from the ANH novelization in 1976 until now, in August 2001. I don't like it all, but hey...tastes vary, friends.

2. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    But you're trying to fix it all the time. And there's going to be a whole lot more to fix once the next movies come out. What's wrong with a new line of stories, clearly labelled as being a different universe, that actually fits with the films?

3. connermacleod

connermacleod Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2001
    If they started off, all the new fans would gladly be able to follow along with any other crap, untill Barbra Hambly returns.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    whats right with them? THey change a bit, more complaints. My perfect EU is different to anothers (Mine has a lot more X-Wing style books, like Kyp's Dozen. Is yours? Unlikely). Then by EP3, youd need to do it again. Then again if GL decided to make a holiday special or something

5. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    No, just one definitive version after Episode 3. Lucas said he's not doing anything after that.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Or he decides to do Ep 7, 8, and 9.

7. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    He says that he won't. And even on the off chance that he does then your EU would be destroyed anyway so what's the difference?

8. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Knowledge of the prequels. Exactly how would knowledge of Anakin having been this 'Chosen One' business have any impact whatsoever on post-ROTJ EU? I cannot think of any way that this revelation would have substantial bearing on the galaxy.

As far as leftover Jedi go, there really weren't that many. Most of the leftover Jedi you speak of were in the Dark Empire comic series, a series I view as highly questionable. I'm one of those who sees it was nothing more than excrement, yet there are others who see DE as being a gold mine.

Fett's story is contradicted--so what. He isn't the end all and be all of Star Wars.

Sith and Dark Jedi are not synonymous. A Jedi who falls to the dark side, but who receives no Sith intruction, cannot conceivably be a Sith, therefore this character is a Dark Jedi.

how about we give that Flanneled Lucas Mainframe a reboot?

9. kanos_fel

kanos_fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    Instead of scraping everything, just publish a book with all the edits necessary to make everything fit! For god sake, go and read Timetales, it does a real damn good job about it. We are all intelligent people, well most of us, and we can make it all fit just by thinking about everything a little. Being able to read is one thing, but being able to understand what we read and make sense of it is another thing. To scrap everything and start over would only be the easy way out, not to mention a stupid and simplistic answer to a small problem...

10. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Actually in the ANH radio drama,Kenobi mentions other Jedi in hiding,but they would be too afraid to come forth and help em.

And please there have only been six other Jedi that have shown up,and out of those five have been killed.

Hundreds of jedi!sheesh

As for the Dark Jedi..well heyt..there must be a reason Lucas hasn';t had the EU start over right?Could it be geez...case perhaps it doesn' effect his vision that much?

And I have to wonder why the term Dark Jedi is still being bandied around if it's such a blasphemous term.

11. connermacleod

connermacleod Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2001
    Perhaps I am being too extreme, after all I do like the EU there is just a lot that makes me mad about it.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Cmdr...
    A real die-hard SW fan, I suppose :D. He is a fan of both Canon and Alternate Universe stories.

Padme...
    It's not me that's calling it Canon. It is Lucas Licensing. We should get that out of the right right now, just so people don't think it's an "opinion" thing. Don't shoot me for being the messenger.

13. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Exactly how would knowledge of Anakin having been this 'Chosen One' business have any impact whatsoever on post-ROTJ EU? "

Because Lucas has stated under no uncertain terms that Anakin destroys the LAST of the Sith, bringing balance to the Force, once and for all. Your EU has the Emperor cloning himself and rendering the prophecy useless. That is NOT Lucas' vision.

I read Timetales and it tries but ultimatly it's just an apologist patch job. A brand new canon universe would be so much better.

EDIT:
    Quote:
    "It's not me that's calling it Canon. It is Lucas Licensing"

Lucas licsensing mean that Lucas gets money from it. If you want the truth listen to Lucas himself. He doesn't aknowledge the books as canon at all.

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I'm a die-hard SW fan then.

15. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    There has been no major contradictions in The Phantom Menace ( aside from the Greedo cut scene ), and I don't foresee many for AotC, from the spoilers I do know.

Lucasfilm Licensing is very very careful with prequel-era events. When Greg Bear was writing Rogue Planet, he couldn't even mention Padme. No one would be sure of her post-TPM status at that point.

This is why we only have a handful of stories that are post-TPM. Rogue Planet, Jedi Apprentice - Deceptions, and Jedi Quest. And all of those are set 6-7 years before AotC.

Most continuity problems that we'll face in AotC and Episode III have to do with dating. But let's wait until 2005 to see if the EU has any problems, okeday?

16. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    You won't have to wait that long. I'm sure you'll find some way to rationalize out all the inconsistencies that will arise, at the expense of Lucas' vision. I just don't know why you can't even accept that a definitive EU would be prefereable.

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Padme- Perhaps some fear that the new EU would be just a repeat of the old EU or perhaps they fear that it will become like Star Trek, so many AUs to keep track of.

18. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Padme,

I am not a fan of DE. I see it as a piece of substandard garbage. I could certainly buy Palpatine having a single clone, a fail-safe mechanism just in case, but having him cloned 2 more times was absolutely ridiculous and Palpy having who knows how many clones--it was just ridiculous.

Incidentially, according to reports, Lucas actually enjoyed Dark Empire, since it ties into all his mytho-babble.

19. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    because we are all capable of independant thought, and disagree. That is why. Why cant you see its a bad idea? Because you agree with it.

20. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    Why I for one wouldn't find it preferable is that I personally vastly prefer the EU to the films. I'm following the Boba Fett of the novels not of the films and if the films contradict then it will be the prequels that will be thrown out for me.

Of course this is only the position of a small minority within EU fans but it does exist.

Yours

21. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    <<
    Instead of scraping everything, just publish a book with all the edits necessary to make everything fit! For god sake, go and read Timetales, it does a real damn good job about it. >>

That's what the Essential Chronology did. And a very good job, I might add. But as for TimeTales ( IMO ), no. It fixes some things well, but overall, it's a big mess. It's only good for story summaries.

<<Actually in the ANH radio drama,Kenobi mentions other Jedi in hiding,but they would be too afraid to come forth and help em.
    >>

Yes. And radio dramas are one of the prime pieces of canon, along with novelizations and films.

Kenobi ( speaking to Luke ) : You and I are not alltogether alone, in this universe. But I doubt that we can expect help from others of our kind.

<<Because Lucas has stated under no uncertain terms that Anakin destroys the LAST of the Sith, bringing balance to the Force, once and for all. Your EU has the Emperor cloning himself and rendering the prophecy useless. That is NOT Lucas' vision.
    >>

Bra, you've brought this up before in PSA. I just don't get it. How is the prophecy destroyed? What event triggers the balance to go back to how it was pre-ROTJ? We don't know enough about this to understand it completely. Anakin kills Palpatine. Balance is restored. But why is it in limbo when Palpatine is back? What if it's not? The prophecy doesn't rest on Palpatine. It rests with the dark side, and how it is balanced against the light side of the Force. This we do know, from Lucas. If it rested on the existence of the Sith, then the light and dark sides of the force must have been jiggling like Endorian jelly between the time of 2000 to 1000 years before TPM, when the Jedi fought the Sith with Darth Bane.

22. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    Of course the EU would have worked out better if they would
    have waited until the Prequels were finished. All those stories
    where Luke is "flying blind" while trying to figure out all that the
    Jedi did in their day, how they acted, how they trained their
    apprentices, etc. are pretty much what the authors were
    forced to stick with. With the last couple of NJO books, you
    are starting to see elements of the info gained from TPM already.
    I think from this point on, most of the EU will begin to
    "fall in line" with the "new" canon laid out by GL in EP II
    and EP III.

23. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "I personally vastly prefer the EU to the films. "

Oooookay. At this time I'm going to slowly back away and run screaming back to the comfort of canon-land.

Just do me a small favor and try to see the worlds of the film and the EU to be separate but equal universes, at least when you discuss things with canonists.

In other words, try to recognize that some people don't recognize EU in the other forums and don't try to force it on anyone. Thanks. :)

24. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I dunno, I think it is pretty resonable for Luke to as you say "flying blind" with bringing back the JO and training apprentices. He was hastely trained and very little information on the JO survived to post Endor days.

25. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    redoing the eu would make starwars as bad as startrek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.