main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Fan Art Class: Version 4.0 (Current Assignment: Coming Soon!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Some of you older folks may remember this thread from way back in the day. It was a nice little thread that helped artists work on their skills and generally grow as an artist.

Well, after many requests for tutorials and "lessons" on how to draw certain things, I thought it would be a good idea to resurrect this. I would like to give a big thank you for Otis and Baroness for being the originators of this concept. :)

Here's how this particular thread works:

This thread will be setup kinda like an art class. Every two weeks (most likely every other Sunday) I will post a couple of photographs/images to use as a reference for sketching, drawing, painting, whatever. These images will be Star Wars-related (this is a Star Wars board, after all). The point being to draw what you see, as if you were in a life drawing class. The medium you work in is entirely up to you, the artist.

I encourage everyone to post their work here in this thread for a critique and thorough feedback. This thread is aimed at helping each and every artist, regardless of skill level, improve. So, expect more "harsher" critiques than what you would find elsewhere on the boards. And please remember, they are about the work itself - not the artist.

And just like a real art class, each submission must be posted by a certain due date. After which, the reference images for that time period will be taken down and new ones will be put up.

Please don't stress too much over this, just like everything else here, it is meant to be fun! :)

[b][color=red]Assignment Three:[/color]The Figure/Motion[/b]
    [b]Due Date:[/b]Sunday, March 6th (two weeks to complete the assignment)

With the last assignment being difficult, I figured I would throw something more easy at you. This current assignment will focus around the figure and how it moves. To create more options, there will be a choice of four images this time around:

[link=http://img196.exs.cx/img196/6855/artclass14zg.jpg][b][color=blue]Han Solo and Chewbacca[/color][/b][/link]

[link=http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5170/artclass21yr.jpg][b][color=blue]Jawas[/b][/color][/link]

[link=http://img152.exs.cx/img152/629/artclass36ho.jpg][color=blue][b]Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Jango Fett[/color][/b][/link]

[link=http://img33.exs.cx/img33/7007/artclass51ul.jpg][color=blue][b]Obi-Wan Kenobi[/color][/b][/link]

Each of these images focus exclusively on the figure in motion. A good way to go about drawing the figure in any one of these positions is to start out in a loose gesture drawing. They may end up looking like a stick figure at first, but this will help you to establish the figure. Once you get the proportions and the position correct, you can then go back in and start adding details.

Like always, you are free to use any medium or style necessary. Remember, the key goal here is to have fun. :)

If there's any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

2. LordNeo

LordNeo Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2004
    Ill get to work on it but I might need a host

so what happens if we have the best drawing

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    so what happens if we have the best drawing

Like everything else here, this is not a contest. This thread is just meant to better your skills and help you become a better artist.

But if you happen to have the best drawing, there's always the praise and the feel-good feeling that comes along with it. ;)

4. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I might be doing this soon so I thought I'd put up some better-res pictures... :)

Anakin

Padme

Edit: Ah well, I tried and failed. :p

Clickie.

5. alexier

alexier Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2004
    Well my family and i have risen to the challenge to perform minor surgery with a pencil and create what only can be called 'modern art' see what you think when you look at these!

This is mine, my sister said it looked more like Captain James T Kirk from the SS Enterprise!

http://uk.msnusers.com/alsphoto/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=3

This is one my sister did (i think it looks more like a clone wars style anakin!)

http://uk.msnusers.com/alsphoto/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4

And this one was done by my 8 year old nephew (we particularly liked the way Hayden's ears sprout from his head and his nose looks like a toblerone bar!)

http://uk.msnusers.com/alsphoto/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=5

Are we getting marked on these then??

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Excellent work, guys. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Not too detailed and complex, but just enough to get an understanding. Keep it up! :)

Just a quick question - would you like if critiques were given out as people post work, or would you rather see all of them at once?

7. alexier

alexier Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2004
    Hi there, it really doesn't matter to us, we're just interested in learning how to pick a pencil up and get a face that nearly looks like the person!

We're awaiting your next instructions oh master!

8. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    I'll get working on these as I have time, though the best time that I have when I'm not being a high demand parent is at work.

I'm glad to see this started up now. :D

<edit>
    Well, things are slow at work here today, since it's Civil Rights Day. Not many calls. :D I've got my Padme done, though I can't scan it in until I get home.

It IS easier to draw from a picture. :D

<edit>
    I got Anakin done now, too. As I said, I'll post it when I get home and can scan it in.

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, I don't really have the time to do a thorough critique at this moment, but one is coming. It's just a matter of when I have enough free time. ;)

Rocie, I'm glad you decided to participate. Be sure to post up when you get the time. :)

10. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    Well, teach, I've gotten home and made time. Here they are:

Padme

Anakin

Do I pass my first assignment? ;)

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for posting, Rocie! :D I would say you passed your first assignment with flying colors. But like I said, I'm gonna wait to put up critiques till I have a little bit more time. Most likely, I'll start tomorrow afternoon after classes let out. So...

Everyone can expect the first of the critiques tomorrow evening. :)

12. _Artoo_

_Artoo_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    Hello everyone n.n I've been a long time lurker here and finally decided to get an account and post. Hope you don't mind us newbies :)

So here's my version of the Padme image. I did it in a 15 minute break between classes and unfortunately the only pencil I had with me was green n.n; It kind of got flipped from the original and cartooned.

Padme

I'll try to draw Anakin later this afternoon.

13. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Very nice _Artoo_.

14. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    I like. The eyes just draw(no pun intended) me in. Eventually, I hope to be able to do good eyes like that.

15. _Artoo_

_Artoo_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    Thank you Rocie and odj :)

I just scanned my Anakin in. I had some real trouble getting his eyes right, I struggle drawing guys anyway but ugh, Hayden is difficult!

Anakin

16. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Very nice again Artoo. :)

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome aboard, _Artoo_! :D We're glad to have you! Your renderings are excellent! ;)

Okay, folks. The critiques should be coming later on tonight. So stay tuned. ;)

18. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Holy crap, _Artoo_! Those are wonderfull!

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    First up on the critique list is Odj. So, here we go:

Just so everyone can take a look at it again, here is Odj's rendering of Padme.

Odj, first of all, thanks for participating. Even if you weren't too sure about the final product, I still admire you trying. :) Now, onto your art:

For the most part, I don't think it turned out all that bad. The general shape of the face is proportionally correct. You have enough "free" space for the scalp/hair and also down at the chin. Although, the area around the chin is a little iffy. She looks like she has the mumps or something on the right side. Nothing a simple eraser can't handle, though. ;) I think you just need to straighten out your lines a little bit. That should clear up that problem.

Next are the technical issues. For the most part, her face is assymetrical - one eye is larger than the other, her eyebrows seem to be arching at a strange angle and the above problem I mentioned around the chin area. One thing that may help to get the two sides symmetrical is to every so often, hold your drawing up to a mirror and study the image you see. The mirror image really helps to identify oddities within your drawing such as the problem here with the face not being in balance. You can also pretty much figure how to fix it from this as well.

Another problem I see is the lips. Generally, the upper lip tends to be smaller than the lower lip. In your rendering, both lips pretty much appear the same size and they cause Padme to look like she has a fat lip. Just slim down the upper lip a tad and you should be fine. And I want to comment slightly on the nose as well. The bridge of the nose appears to be too narrow. Just fatten it up a little and perhaps even get rid of the central part of it altogether. Just focus on the part that meets up near the brow and the lower cartilage part where the nostrils are located. The middle part, or bridge can be filled in later by shading. This will give your nose a more rounded feel and it will appear more realistic. :)

Well, that should be it for right now. I hope I wasn't too hard on you, but like I said, these are meant to be harsher. I hope you found what I said helpful and if you don't agree with something, you're free to let me know. ;)

20. _Artoo_

_Artoo_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    Thanks again odj and it?s great to be here HanSolo29, I?m glad I posted now :)

Lol, ThrawnRocks, thank you very much :)

21. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Well, that should be it for right now. I hope I wasn't too hard on you, but like I said, these are meant to be harsher.

That wasent to harsh, if you'd said something like 'It sucks.' it wouldent have been to harsh because I would have agreed. ;)

22. Rocie

Jul 15, 2003
    ^^LOL! That's sort of how I look at my 'art'. I know mine sucks, so I request comments to be as harsh as possible so I can learn and improve. It does no good to draw something, show a parent or sister that loves me and cares for my feelings, and ask them to honestly tell me what they think about it. They always say "That's great!" even when I know it isn't.

Looking foreward to the hashing on my Padme and Anakin. ;) :p

<edit> and by the way, Artoo, I love your drawings, though the eyes seem to have a ying-yang thing going on. ;) It looks cool, though. Shows a bit of a duality to them that really works for the Anakin.

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Oooo! Great thread! I've been out of town so I just saw this today. :)

I'll give these a go.

And quickly, Rocie, I think your drawings are improving. I'll post more later. :D

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That wasent to harsh, if you'd said something like 'It sucks.' it wouldent have been to harsh because I would have agreed.

LOL!!! [face_laugh]

Nah, I wouldn't just come out and say something sucked. That's rarely true. With that said, your drawing does not 'suck.' ;)

Besides, that's really a strong word I only reserve for my own art. :p

^^LOL! That's sort of how I look at my 'art'. I know mine sucks, so I request comments to be as harsh as possible so I can learn and improve. It does no good to draw something, show a parent or sister that loves me and cares for my feelings, and ask them to honestly tell me what they think about it. They always say "That's great!" even when I know it isn't.

How true that is, Rocie. I often don't show my work to my parents because they never really give me any criticism. It's always, "Wow!" or "That's great!" like you said. I either bring my work(Star Wars related) here to let you guys take a look at it or my cousin has proven to tell me the truth on many occasions. He tore apart the one of Han and Chewie I did when I first showed it to him and literally was breathing down my neck, telling me what to do until it was completed. It really helped out in the long run too, I think it turned out fairly good. :)

25. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    I didn't think I was going to do this...but then, I needed a wind down last night, and I had a couple of hours time to work with - so I just went for it.

Edit: considering the rest of the images are links in this forum, I've changed it to a link.

Anakin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.