main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fan Film Festival Planning

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Oscar_the_Gungan, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Well, I decided to invite the 501st to the Sugar City Centennial. I know its a crap shoot but what they hey. maybe if I get some response I could find a couple of guys who'd like to come to the film festival.
    I think September is a much better time to hold it. especially with all the schools back in session. if we advertise at EITC, ISU and BYU-I maybe we will find some interested people.
    Erik

2. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    OK. September it is. I'll call on room scheduling tomorrow.

Doug

3. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    A quick idea for workshops:

Fanfilm making on a tight budget. I went to a discussion like this at Comicon last year and it was really helpful. And since it's hard to make a Star Wars film without have to build props, costumes, ect, it might be good to have someone there who can show folks how to do it cheaply.

Good idea moving it to September. Gives us more time to fine tune it.

4. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I think the filmmaking on a budget is a good topic...is that a volunteer?

I could help with it, especially the props section.

Doug

5. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    What about a special effects workshop, you know like how to do explosion and the like? Could we pull something like that off?

6. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    I don't know if I'm the right person to give the budget filmmaking workshop. Consider the following points:

1. I've never been really involved with a film that needed much production design. I mean, we didn't build much besides Gonk for "Wan-Abi" and all I bought for "Reepo" was $70.00 worth of camera batteries plus a few little things.

2. When you think about it, I haven't even really made a film, just helped other people with their movies. The last thing I did was back in college, and it didn't have anything built for it.

We need to get someone who really knows their stuff if we're gonna do this, and I feel like I don't know enough.

Plus, I'm a wussy when it comes to speaking in front of groups.

Of course I could wrong and totally misinterpreting what you asking...

7. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    I would be up for a special fx workshop. If you mean FAKE CGI explosions that is. (The real kind...better ask someone else, like a 4th infantry commando.)

My much maligned idea to have a working bluescreen right there would be a high instant gratification for our guests. I have been practicing. Made myself a cool Pitch Black Saturn-esque planet setting against a desert background. Killer.

I also learned how to Quantum Leap if that cooks anyones fire.

8. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Barry,
    I for one think the bluescreen idea would be cool, if the logistics work out. I know that printing color pics out can get pricey quick. Is that the idea - to print it - or to put it on tape? Either way, I think there'd have to be a charge to recoup the cost, and that would have to be approved by the committee or possibly the entire club. I wouldn't expect you to front all of the cost of doing it. The other issue is space as we only have the large library room.

Other workshop ideas I have:

Costuming (tight-budgeted and otherwise)
    Basic digital editing

perhaps we could have the workshops focus on one effect/task, like explosions, blaster bolts, lightsaber rotoscoping, jedi robes, etc as each workshop is only 1 hour long.

If weather permits, Marc from Boise is still planning on a lightsaber coreography (sp)workshop.

Doug

9. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Two more workshop ideas:

Story development: Ideas to help one take that great idea they've got and turn it into something they can actually shoot.

Shooting a scene: Guide people through the process of taking a scene on paper, cutting it up into shots and then shooting those shots.

I'm not sure either are feasible, but, in theory, they're pretty sound ideas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.