main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo FanFilm Viewing and Action Figure Swap this Friday (9/14/2001)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Handyman, Sep 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

The 2nd official meeting of the Utah County Star Wars Fan Club/Provo Fanforce will be held this Friday, September 14, 2001 at 7:00 pm.

Here's the address...
    368 West 625 North
    Lindon, Utah

I'll post instructions and a map in a day or two.

This will be a fantastic opportunity to get to know other Star Wars fans in the area. :cool:

If you collect action figures and would like to swap with other collectors, bring them on Friday.

We will be viewing several FanFilms on VHS, DVD, and DV. Here are some of the potential choices...

* Hardware Wars - The Original Fanfilm! (VHS)
    * Duality - Including background footage (DV made from the Sorrenson 3 codec!)
    * Troops (DVD!)
    * Dark Skies (DV)
    * Legacy (DV)

Any other FanFilms you would like to see? Post your thoughts here! ;)

Do you need a ride? Post a message stating so here and we can make arrangements. There should be several people coming from BYU. Let's make arrangements to carpool.

Later,

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Being as I am stranded here on BYU with only a bike and bus fare to my name, I would like to, if possible, find a way up there. Is anyone else from the Y planning on going up?

3. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I'll try to be there, assuming there's no football game at school.

4. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    I really want to go but I don't know if I can get a ride or not. Me and my roommate switch off driving every time we go home, so this time he's the one that has the car. If I can convince him to come, we can fit 2 or 3 more in his car. So I'll try to let you guys know in the next 2 days if I'll have a car or not.

Is there anyone else that is going from BYU, besides darthishtar and andakin, just in case I need a ride too?

5. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Do we have to live in Utah county to attend? I only live like 40 minutes away by freeway.

6. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    I hope its ok for me to answer, but I am just repeating what was said before.

Of course you can still come!! This is for all fans alike.

7. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    How many people are expected to attend?

8. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

Marold, you and everyone else are very welcome to attend. We have some people coming from as far away as Idaho.

We call it the Utah County Star Wars Fanclub to set reasonable geographic boundaries. Everyone will always be welcome to attend regardless of where they live. I'm certain that as we have successful meetings that are fun to attend, other fan groups in Utah will also start gathering. (Hint-Hint SLC... ;))

Jace, I'm expecting between 15-25 people to attend.

For those of you are coming, here's more details....

We will be watching Hardware Wars, a hi-res DV version of the NEW Duality that looks INCREDIBLE, and one or two more Fanfilms yet to be determined. All of these films will be watched on a 32" television in an entertainment center so we don't have a crowd hunkered around a small computer monitor.

We will discuss details of the Episode I DVD purchase in costume. The current plan is to hang out at the Media Play in Orem in full costume on Tuesday, October 16. I am attempting to contact the store manager to let them know of our plans.

"Treats" will be provided at the meeting.

It will be a fun gathering to meet and socialize with other Star Wars fans in the area.

BYU people, please don't worry. We'll get transportation for everyone who wants to come.

Have more questions or suggestions? Post them here!

Later,

9. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Toran-Kal:
    Don't forget me!

But I have no car...:(
    not even a bike...:_|
    not even bus fare...:mad:

10. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Don't worry Spoo - I just knew that you didn't have a car. :)

And it looks like I still don't know if I'll have a car or not. It would probably be a good idea to arrange something, whether I have one or not. So be sure and let us know what the arrangements are.

Thanks

11. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    What about other collectibles (ie, micromachines, helmets, etc)?

12. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I would so want to come but I have to get up early saturday morning and do inventory at work. I hate working saturdays. I just hope I can make it to some other meetings. :(

13. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

I would like everyone's opinion on this one...

Since the President of the United States has declared that tomorrow(9/14/2001) be a National day of mourning and prayer, do you think we should postpone our Fan meeting to a later date?

?[face_plain]

Anyone's comments are appreciated.

Regards,

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That's one option. BYU has cancelled its Fall Fling. Perhaps we should move it as well.

15. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    I personally am unsure. I would love to meet some fellow SW fans f2f, but I don't want to do it at an inappropraite time. I suppose we could hold a moment of silence and/or a prayer before proceeding, but still...(though I do think we should at least do that if we proceed tomorrow)

16. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

There are two ways to look at it.

This meeting is something we planned and is something normal. These type of activities can help people to regain a sense of security and normalcy.

This morning I was certain that Friday would be enough time for us to go ahead. However, after hearing that President Bush would like tomorrow to be a day of mourning and prayer, I'm not certain.

I'm open to either option. If we do postpone the meeting, it will be moved to Friday, September 28 at 7:00pm.

BTW: For you BYU Football fans, the BYU vs. Mississippi State game has officially been cancelled.

Regards,

17. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    Yeah, I guess it's a "we don't want to alter our lifestyles, because then the terroists have won" kind of thing, but still...I just don't know.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    First instincts? I don't know what to decide because I've been looking forward to this, but tomorrow is a memorial and should we disrupt that?

19. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings DarthIshtar,

I've been really looking for to this as well. I really want to meet alot of fans Face to Face that are from these boards.

Like virtually every American, I have been glued to the TV for the last 2 and a half days. Last night, I couldn't handle more stories of pain and suffering, so I played a few video games with Keighvin and watched a movie with my wife.

Were we being disrespectful? Absolutely not. We needed a diversion from the terrible events that have taken place. Doing that last night really helped me to feel just a little bit better today.

I started up this conversation because I wanted to see how the rest of you felt.

Right now, I leaning towards keeping the meeting on for tomorrow night. ;)

Regards,

20. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Well I didn't know that tomorrow was going to be a day of mourning, so I've just been expecting to still go to the party. I do agree with Jace though - if we do still have it we should definitely have a moment of silence and prayer.

So I would probably lean towards still having it tomorrow too. But I'm totally open, so whatever everyone decides is ok with me.

21. DarthJago

DarthJago Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2000
    I think you should still have it. Just don't watch any FanFilms with explosions or anything horrifically violent. And have a moment of silence and a prayer.

-DJ

22. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    Whenever it is, I plan on showing up in costume. I also plan on bringing some ST stuff as well as SW stuff for trading (though I have far more SW stuff).

23. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

Tomorrow's Fan Club Meeting is ON.

After talking to alot of different people, I've decided this was the best thing to do. We will have a moment of silence and prayer, but let's get together to have some fun.

I will post instructions on how to get to the meeting soon.

Anyone coming from BYU with a car? If not, I'll make sure we get a van to pick everyone up.

Regards,

24. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    Should we place any restrictions on the type of fan films we watch, though (ie, no violence or explosions?) I was thinking of bringing along my own fan film, Dark Threat, in case anyone wanted to watch it, but a building explodes (actually, only one person was in it). Not that it looks realistic, though, or anything (actually, it looks extremely fake...it's a big flash similar to a saber clash rotoscoped over a still picture of some buildings, which sort of transitions to a still picture of fire). I don't want to bring it if it's not appropriate.

Oh, and in relation to DarthIshtar's comments: I don't think we'll be disrupting anything. It is a day of mourining and prayer, but I don't think it means the nation will come to a halt tomorrow or anything (not that I don't think it's important). Besides, the whole returing to normacly thing, and the break from the realities of this tragedy will be good...I'm numb from all the news reports and interviews, especially all the talk of war and bombing and Bin Laden.

One more thing: anyone know about how long a drive from Layton to Lindon would be (remember to include general traffic conditions)? I need to know what time to leave so I'm not late. Plus, I need a map (yeah, I know you'll have that out as soon as you can, Handyman ;)

I agree with you DarthIshtar (pretty weird, huh? A response that comes before the question! [face_laugh] It's nice to be able to edit posts.

Then again, they can also be kind of annoying...if I have to do one more edit...

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I know what you mean. The day of, I was too stunned to do much of anything and either spent it talking things out with my roommate, watching the news, or taking my frustration out on my long-suffering viola. Wednesday, I was too sick to do anything, but today I spent an hour and a half doing nothing but talking to my younger sister. That was better therapy than anything I've done since the event.

This is not disrespect, but in my New Testament class tonight, Dr. Pike discussed what we should be doing in the aftermath and one of them was to keep a positive outlook and let life go on. I agree that we should have a moment of silence and prayer, but I would love to go on as planned.

Thoughts?

I'm still looking for a ride from BYU if this is still on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.