main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanForce Web Masters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Amidala Starkiller, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Hey, no worries. Trust me, the Charlotte site hasn't been updated since early June... :p

2. Shequan

Shequan Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    What a great idea for a thread!
    Also, please don't judge the San Francisco club by our website - I taught myself HTML by guessing (seriously) & created that whole thing in notepad.
    So creating the site has also been a learning experience for me. I want to know how to do everything manually before I use software.
    As for hosting, my X-boyfriend's buddy is hosting our site for free, so it could be only a matter of time before that plug gets pulled... :( Yikes.

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    don't worry Shequan :)

Just so you don't have problems in browsers like Mozilla or Opera though...

You have this:
    <html>
    <title>S.F. Fan Force</title>
    <body bgcolor=#00cccc>

When it should be this:

<html><head>
    <title>S.F. Fan Force</title></head>
    <body bgcolor=#00cccc>

HTML needs to have the boundary tags <html><head><title></title></head><body></body></html> in that order.

You would put Javascript functions & style sheets inside the head (but outside the title)

:)

¤Night

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well for anyone who wants to learn HTML, there is only one real place to go.

The World Wide Web Consortium. They are the people that define the standards that makes the web work.

There you can read the HTML 4.01 standard, and know how to write a well-formed page.

You can also learn how to use Cascading Style Sheets to make it look pretty.

Then read the guidelines from the Web Accessibility Initiative and make your website work in every imaginable browser

Oh and of course use the tests there to make sure you got it all right.

It takes no extra effort to create a website that is properly formed compared to one that is sloppily done, and actually it saves time in the long run. A clean website is easier to read and modify.

5. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Html Goodies site Is a great site to look over when learning Html. I used it to learn the basics.

6. Shequan

Shequan Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2001
    Thanks, Night & everyone..
    I'm in the process of redesigning the whole thing right now. I'll be sure to add in those tags, though. :)

7. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I just updated Waco site. link's in the sig

8. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    I like the navigation!

¤Night

9. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
  10. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Ermm at the moment the British Isles doesn't have a web page so can that link be removed please?

11. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
  12. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Wow, hey, this thread came back to life :D
    I'm currently working on a new site for the Separatists. Hopefully we'll actually do something with it ;)

Also, I was wondering if there is a way to place the board on our site? I mean, minus the banners and all. What I was thinking is having a frame at the top for our logo, news, etc and then below have the actual board itself. I know one way that could happen is if the board link of ours was linked to a remotely linked website that had our board "framed" into it, but is there a way this could be done without all the hastle?

13. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Well, you could put an iframe , but there's no way you could do it minus the banners unless you somehow wrote a Java app that took out the specific image src= 's or blocked them. Of course that would probably also mean writing the display part as well, and then somehow adding that into the page.

in other words, I don't think so :p

¤Night

14. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Actually, currently I'm working on something... [face_mischief] :)

But I see your point. I'm looking it all over.

15. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    I am not my Fanforce's webmaster, but I just noticed that our webpage is not in the list. I guess that most people out there never visit the Latin America section. Here is the url

Puerto Rico Jedi Outcasts Home

Its still under heavy construction but its online.
    I'll badger our webmaster to post on this thread too.

Thanks!

16. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    I've added you to the list. :)

17. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    I thank thee wery, wery, wery much!!!

18. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Hi! I'm the Webmaster for Imperial Outfitters a subsection of The Rocky Mountain Fanforce page.

I'm a big advocate of free software, and currently use First Page as my editing program. Even tho I code by hand quite a bit too. And for graphics I am a GIMP user. I've gotten quite comfortable with that program.

I need suggestions on how to improve the Imperial Outfitters layout. I have been thinking about redoing it in such a way that you would be almost like an imperial student at an academy. With the costuming info put into lesson plans and things like that. There would be an animation as you enter the page that would 'log' you on to the imperial Holonet.

19. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    If anyone has the New Jedi Order sourcebook could you scan a few pics for me? I need the cover plus any of the other main character images(Jason, Jaina, Anikan, Corran, etc..) I can get for the new layout of the Pittsburgh Website I am working On.

20. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    Try Lit

I know a few people have the NJO sourcebook

21. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Hello,

I'm not only the City Rep but the Webmaster for the Spice Miners. Our webpage is a complete mess right now. I don't even remember how to code by HTML so forgive me if it isn't up to standards.

Plus I can't get a disclaimer on the site!

-Universal

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    You might want to think of switching to a pop-up free hosting service. There are plenty of them out there.

23. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Universal -- As Rox said, you probably should switch the server to somewhere else. Marhost is free, ad-less, has FTP support and gives you 10MB of space... you could also search for some. A nice engine for this is Freewebspace.net. :)

24. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    http://www.gobigmedia.com

Here's a place that has URL's for 15.00 a year :)

25. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    We have a weekly photo caption competition on the FFNSW website, but ATM we're using a freebie Tripod feedback form for the submissions. I would like to make my own form and CGI script (exactly like the one TFN uses in their humour section), but I've got no idea how. I've had a look around at tutorials but I still don't get it. And I tried using some of those free CGI hosts but they have all these banner ads and pop-ups.

Any help here would be hot. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.