main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[FAQ] We're Moving - Answers to your common questions (updated 6/18)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Apr 3, 2010.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    This is already a feature on the test board, so yes. :) On threads with unread posts, there is a little button next to the thread title that takes you to the first unread post.

Xammer likes this.
  2. MissAmidala2

MissAmidala2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    I keep trying to change my e-mail cause it's definitely not a working e-mail anymore and everyime it comes up with an error message I tried to use another e-mail but it didn't work. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Can you post the error message you are getting?

4. MissAmidala2

Apr 5, 2002
    Board System Error
    A system error has occurred. The error has been logged and will be reviewed by the administrative staff. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Error:
    MESSAGE: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
    SERVER: IGNPRDAPPW64211
    SOURCE: System.Web
    URL: http://boards.theforce.net/UserPages/ChangeUserDetails.aspx
    REFERRER: http://boards.theforce.net/UserPages/ChangeUserDetails.aspx
    AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
    IP ADDRESS: 174.45.82.25

It seems as though it's not specific to my e-mail I can't change anything in my user profile.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We've had this before. One thing you could try is temporarily clearing or shortening your signature - I think some other users have had the problem with a long signature. If that lets you change the email address then you can see how much of the sig you can put back. If signature length isn't the problem then hopefully Grimby will be able to answer.

6. MissAmidala2

Apr 5, 2002
    So I tried the signature thing and I still get the same error message.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Ouch. Hopefully Grimby will have an idea on this one.

Edit - one of Grimby's suggestions was about the email address you are trying to use. Do you have another account here that might already be using it? The only other thing I can think of is the birth date you entered to get your age. The system might not like it. You could try clearing that or setting it to a more recent year to see if that helps.

8. MissAmidala2

Apr 5, 2002
    Changing the birthday worked.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No problem! I'm glad you got it working!

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm actually surprised that caused the error. Well done IGN! [face_plain]

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Actually I could see it being an issue. If the age field is only two characters long and you tried to update it with three I could see you getting an error. It might be something that was changed when the board code changed. I could dig out the IGN schema to check but I'm doing laundry at the moment and I have to run back up to the laundrette in a bit.

12. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Quick question - will edit times on posts be lifted (in particular for opening posts)?

Having hosted a few threads in Amphitheatre, I've noticed it gets a bit tiresome having to keep PMing a mod 1-2 times a day asking for them to edit a thread title (especially when they forget to do it, leaving you to having to PM them again :mad::p ).

13. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Edit times will pretty much work as they do now, in that each forum will have the ability to set it's own post edit time. I don't know if there's a way to allow for thread titles to be edited past the set post edit time, but it might be possible. We'll have to look into it.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hi. Since I'm pretty much wandering around here like Captain America after thawing from being frozen for decades, I have probably the dumbest question brought up in an otherwise intelligent, tech-savy thread:

Did we move yet?

Is this all old info and we are already in the land of milk and honey? I honestly wouldn't know the difference if we had.

15. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I don't think we've moved yet, cause the bottom still says this:

© 2011 IGN Entertainment, Inc

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wouldn't have known where to look or what to do with said information if I saw it.

The reason 3,000 out of 9,500 posts were made in Comms is because I need to leech any semblance of e-intelligence from you people. I'm lucky I don't need my wife to turn the computer on and off for me. Anymore.

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Protip: You'll know the move has been completed when this thread is no longer stickied at the top of this forum. In it's place will be a new thread titled "We Moved - Answers to your ongoing questions"

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Thank you, kindly.

I was under the impression that the top banner held the anwer, but then began questioning whether or not it was alluding to us being "in the process" of moving and were merely cleaning up the after effects.

See? I'm completely e-nept.

19. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Any date yet for the move?

20. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    No specific date, but I guarantee it will be before April 1st 2012!

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If it hasn't happened by then we might as well stay on IGN 'cos the Mayans said the world will end in Dec 2012.. :p

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I know this isn't your first priority, but I would greatly appreciate an 'ignore user' button, I believe it would be a very useful feature.

Just a request, thank you for your consideration.

23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This Friday, April 1st, will be the first anniversary of The Announcement. The traditional gift is paper for a first anniversary, and I should like to request small rectangular portraits of our presidents (U.S. only, please!) in an easy-on-the-eyes green tone. Thank you.

24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Bump to prevent auto-lock.

Oh, and a legitimate question: Since passwords apparently transferred over on Rebelscum, what are the odds they will do so here as well? Or was Rebelscum using a totally different forum software before the move than we are now?

25. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    We're not exactly sure yet if they will. Yes, they were using UBB forums while we are using IGN.

There was a pre-existing import script to migrate UBB to vBulletin, which is what they used to move Rebelscum. Nothing like that exists for IGN, so it remains to be seen how it'll all work out. We're getting close to figuring that part out, but we're still not quite there.