main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite (non-John Williams) movie score.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Q187, Mar 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Either Batman or Edward Scissor Hands by Danny Elfman.

2. katielovessteveallen

katielovessteveallen Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    does anyone know when pirates of the carribean 2 is coming into the cineamas?

3. SeventhAngelicSlayer

SeventhAngelicSlayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2005
    I have so many that I love, it's almost impossible to choose from.

So here a list of some of the many that I love, in alphabetical order of composer:

'Moulin Rouge!' - Craig Armstrong
    'Wing Commander' - David Arnold
    'Spider-Man' - Danny Elfman
    'Titanic' - James Horner
    'Finding Neverland' - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
    'The Mummy Returns' - Alan Silvestri

And also pretty much anything done by Hans Zimmer or Marco Beltrami.

4. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    I don't post much here, but my favorite movie score is "The Last of The Mohicans"

i love that style of music and i thin it was very good... if you havent seen the movie you should, not the realy old one, but the one made back around '94 or '95, i'm not sure when.

5. monzo

monzo Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2005
    I have to agree that _Vertigo_ has the greatest film score of all time. I like it so much that i have yet to know what happens in the movie, because every time i watch it, i get so wrapped up in listening to the soundtrack that i stop paying attention to the video. This kind of excellence actually means that it doesn't fulfill its role well as background music, because it draws too much attention to itself ... but it is a great score.

Regarding John Williams -- i know that he has fans out there who really love his music, but it really must be emphasized how much he steals from classical composers and puts his own name on it. The popular Love Theme from _Superman_ is nothing other than the great memorable theme from Richard Strauss's _Tod und Verklarung_ ["Death and Transfiguration"], and his famous Main Title to Star Wars is nearly identical to Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score to the 1947 film _Kings Row_. Strauss's piece was written back in 1889, so the copyright on it had probably run out (but i'm not sure about that, because Strauss lived until 1949). Korngold's score definitely still had to be under copyright by Warner Brothers, but _Kings Row_ is a very little-known film because one of the stars was a young Ronald Reagan, and the movie dealt with controversial topics such as teenagers experimenting with premarital sex -- when Reagan became President of the Screen Actors Guild, he had the movie supressed because he feared that it would tarnish his political ambitions. So Williams apparently knows how to pick the pieces he inserts into his film-scores.

-monz

6. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    John Williams used to be my all time favorite movie composer...now I can't decide who is my favorite Williams or Howard Shore. I fell absolutely head over heels in love with the LOTR trilogy score.

I also have long loved the music from Man from Snowy River.

The main theme from Charoits of Fire has to be one of my all time favorite single pieces of movie music.

I do like the Moulin Rouge music a lot too.

7. Goldleader23

Goldleader23 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2003
    My favorite non-JW score has to be Pirates of the Caribbean.

8. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm in an Oklahoma! phase right now.

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I never saw the big deal with Shore. LOTR sounded too...weird. I don't know how to put it into words, because I'm not an expert on musical theory or all of the lesser known instruments or how these things are assembled, but something seems seriously off in it. I know it was done with an orchestra, but sometimes it just seemed either too far away or too tinny to be truly epic. Of course there are a few tracks I like, but overall, nothing to get excited about.

10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Wow, its really tough to choose....

LotR - Howards Shore
    The English Patient - Gabriel Yared [a score that is really underrated in my opinion - so few ppl seem to be aware of it but I think it is absolutely beautiful]
    Amelie - Yann Tiersen
    The Mask of Zorro - James Horner
    The Red Violin - John Corigliano

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.