main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Favorite Sci-Fi Television Series?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Mar 17, 2004.

?

Favorite Sci-Fi Television Series?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Star Trek

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Star Trek: The Next Generation

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Star Trek: Deep Space 9

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Star Trek: Voyager

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Star Trek: Enterprise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Farscape

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  7. Babylon 5

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Lexx

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Firefly

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. Earth: Above and Beyond

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
  2. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Before anyone says it: I know that this list does not even begin to include all the sci-fi series on television (Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, Earth 2, etc.), but it is the list I came up with, a list that includes more series that are somewhat more recent (except Star Trek, but that has to be included on any list).

So, if you like one that is not on the list, please feel free to post that here, but please do also vote for one of the series above, at least pick your favorite out of those ten.

Brandon

3. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Wow that was a tuffy for me... I had to go with Farscape- but if you'd have asked me before 1999- I'd have said Babylon 5.

4. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I've never seen Farscape. Am I weird?

L8r

5. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Not, not that odd. It was a decent sci-fi series, ended well but had some some bad stuff going for it, too (the character of D'Argo was an idiot, just as bad as Worf from TNG). The episodes where they visited Earth were horrible. Some funny stuff, but not at all worth putting into the show (oddly, Lexx did that its last season, too).

Farscape would be in my top five, but unlike Babylon 5 it just felt kind of strung together. They had some grasp on where it was heading but not enough for it to all "click" in the end.

Some hated the final episode, but I loved it. Perfect ending. I know, I know, they may come back for a three or four episode mini-series. If they do, that's cool, I'll watch it, but I'd prefer they left well enough alone.

Great series, though, please don't take my comments to think I meant it was bad. However, looked at in terms of acting, quality story telling, interesting stories, awesome characters, it cannot touch Babylon 5.

Surprised no one has voted for Voyager.... =)

Brandon

6. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I liked Deep Space 9 and Voyager equally but Farscape edged them out ever so slightly. Unfortunatly we can't choose more than one. :(
    Well, I love these poles ;) you have going Brandon. Thank you for giving us such interesting topics.

Melanie

7. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Didn't "click" in the end?? Did you watch every episode of B5 Brandon? For me I was continually amazed by how something in the first season is resolved four seasons later and its like 'WHOA!' that is so cool how they did that. I as well have to say some of the Farscape return to Earth eps. were a little weak. I think those Aussies tried to hard to appeal to us yanks and make it yank like to suit Crichton. Oh well....

8. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I never said B5 did not "click." Babylon 5 has been the best television show ever to be aired. Ever since the pilot, back when I lived in Seattle, aired, I have recorded every single episode, five episodes per tape, until the end, and then went on to record the spin-off, Crusade.

It aired in Florida every Wednesday, and at 10:00pm that night, I would have at least two others over, usually three, we would order pizza, watch Babylon 5, then as soon as it was over, rewatch it.

I now have the first four seasons on DVD and the pilot along with In the Beginning.

I collect all of JMS' comics (the guy who created and wrote B5), and I have met him three times.

It completely clicked in the end.

Brandon

9. DLo

DLo Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    I know it's not really sci-fi, but I believe that Buffy is the best show that ever lived. I'm a fan of the Trek series, but Buffy really did it for me.

I am weeping now that Angel is going to be canceled at the end of May.

:(

10. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Another Buffy fan! :D

I went to Ace Comics with Campbell and Melanie and I picked up a Dopplegangland Willow figurine. OooOoooOoooOooooh. I must own all Willows!!! (I need help, I know)

:)

L8r

11. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    and there was this one time... at Skywalker Band Ranch...

we'll make you a collector, yet. Resistance is futile.

12. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Farscape, hands down.

The problem I saw with Farscape was that they never knew if they were going to get another season. From season 1 to season 3, the SFC basically just said 'Do it and we'll see if you come back for another season'. So season 4 rolls around and they 'guarantee' them two more seasons, 4 and 5. So the writers decided to go all out, and suddenly the SFC yanked the rug out from under them and said 'Ooooops! Just kidding! No season 5'. Hence the reason for the last episode. There were far too many loose ends to tie up for them to just leave it as it was.

13. Ia-Bou

Ia-Bou Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2001
    like as if none of us know who voted for firfely

14. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Firefly would have been my second choice. There really is no excuse for either Firefly or Babylon 5 *not* winning this poll. It's amazing, really.

Brandon

15. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I voted for Firefly! I almost went with ST:TNG, but even though Firefly only lasted 15 episodes, I have never fall in love with a universe like this before. I could watch these episodes over and over and over again and never tire of them. Pure Whedon genius! Damn Fox for killing the show! For never giving it a chance to LIVE! GAH!!!!!!!!!!

:)

L8r

16. Ruckus

Apr 2, 2002
    Buffy rocks!!! But I like Angel better.

17. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, Angel is the only one still left on the air, but that won't be true in a couple of months. :(

L8r

18. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm actually glad to see that Lexx got a vote. That really was a series that was not appreciated as much as it should have been. It is the only series that has felt as fun as the original Star Trek, and it has one of the best titles ever for one of its episodes/made-for-TV-movies, "I Worship His Shadow." I remember the good 'ol days when Sci-Fi Channel had The Invisible Man, Farscape, and Lexx all on back-to-back-to-back on Friday nights. Oddly enough, unlike Farscape, Lexx did a good job on stories when they eventually visited Earth.

On top of that, what other show had the kick ass Fight Song of the Brunnen-G? The opening to "I Worship His Shadow" is still one of the best scenes of any sci-fi series to date. The best, though, must be the episode of Babylon 5, "The Long, Twilight Struggle," where the Narn fleet goes for a last ditch attack on the Centauri supply center and is destroyed by a Shadow fleet. Following that, an even better scene: the Centauri planetary bombardment of the Narn homeworld. Not a single moment in any sci-fi series, any series for that matter, can touch that in terms of sheer power.

No doubt, some other series had some great moments, including The Next Generation and Farscape, even Enterprise, but in the years to come, it will be Babylon 5 that is remembered more than the others.

Brandon

19. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Don't mind me. I'm just plugging the fact that there's a Firefly movie coming out next year! W00t!

[image=http://roguezeppo.com/images/fireflybanner01.jpg]

L8r

20. siul-fer-nando

siul-fer-nando Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2002
    hey man you forget STARGATE SG1.

21. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    No, I didn't forget it. I did remember it, but the polls only allow you to put 10 choices, and because Stargate SG-1 is based off of a movie, I decided to exclude it.

Brandon

22. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    I actually like sg-1 :)

23. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Wish I could vote twice. After the last meeting I checked out Season 6 of ST:NG. I just saw Q turn Dr Crusher into an Irish Setter reminding me that this is my favorite sci-fi series, by a long shot.

24. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Quantum Leap
    Space: Above & Beyond

25. Ia-Bou

Jul 15, 2001
    I actually am stretched between NG Voyager and Enterprise...cant make up my mind :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.