main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Favorite SW film and why...

Discussion in 'Archive: York/Lancaster, PA' started by Rebel_Spook, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    OK, we need to start some discussions on this board that aren't just business...

So, as the subject says which is your favorite SW movie and why?

Well, I'll start...

My favorite is the original Star Wars: A New Hope. The reasoning behind this is pretty simple, it has to be the one I have seen the most and have most of the lines memorized (though on last viewing I was off more than I have been in a long time). It also seems to me to be the best movie as it starts a wonderful story. We see the rise of Luke from farm boy to hero. the introduction of all the pieces needed to make a great epic. The dialog seemed natural to these characters and there was a real chemistry between the actors so much that you are easily lost in the story.

My second is Return of the Jedi. Why? Well, that's for later... :D

2. TenguJedi

TenguJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    I must agree. ANH started it all with me and has special meaning. It has all the elements that make a movie great. A boy that becomes a hero, the mentor, the anti-hero, the girl, and one kick butt bad guy. Not to mention cool battles and weapons :D

3. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    Here's my 2 cents, if you don't mind....

My fav is ESB, it is the only movie so far that the bad guys win. [face_devil] It is the darkest movie so far as well and in my opinnion, the best directed movie too. I think all the actors performed their best in it as well.

I do however, have high hopes for EPIII for being an equal to EBS, but we will have to wait to see.

4. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Let's try this again:

I can't remember everything I typed before losing the post....

RotJ seems to have always been my favorite, followed closely by ANH.

Then came out TPM and AotC...I highly enjoyed the films, and believe that they have surpassed the OT films for me...however, I am really taking a gander here...

I am going to say that Ep. 3 is going to be my all-time favorite.

5. Decca_Nikye

Decca_Nikye Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2003
    I'll have to agree with spook... ANH was the movie that started it all, and I think it's absolutely brilliant... now we can look at it and say it has a classic, universal story. But I can honstly say I don't have a particular favorite. I'll wait till Episode 3 before I force myself to pick a fav... :)

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The bad guys did not win in Phantom. Maul died, Gunray went to jail, and Naboo was free that seems to me as a good guy victory. Only in Empire did the bad win.

7. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Um, D-S, no one here said that Ep1 was a win for the bad guys... And what is your favorite movie, I don't get that from your post.

J_S, uch, my heart is pierced by your belief that the PT has surpassed the OT, for me the OT will always soar far above the PT in directing, story, SpecFX (as they were far beyond anything at the time), and even acting...

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    My favorite film is well I'm not sure they all have their boring scenes which I can not stand for example,
    ANH=boring all the time except on the death star

ESB=boring in hoth

ROTJ= boring at jabba's palace

TPM= boring during Mos Espa and jar jar is annoying

AOTC=love story boring Naboo boring.

The question is which film has the most interesting parts to it. I love all of the films and my favorite changes a lot. I like AOTC and ESB

9. chld-dark

chld-dark Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2003
    Actually I believe that EP 1, was a win for the bad guys, if you look at the story after it unfolds further.

I mean, the seed has been planted for the Empire to start. You've got the man who is single handedly responsible for the death of a majority of jedi discovered, and being trained by the people he would eventually destroy. And well, any movie that stars Jar Jar, is reason enough to believe that evil overcame.

-Dark-
    :)

10. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    c-d, we are looking at the movies as separate entities in deciding which is won by the good and the bad. ESB is the only one so far that has ended with the good guys coming away with nothing positive. Han was on his way to Jabba, the Rebel fleet is being chased by the Empire, Luke fought and got beat by Vader (as well as the emotional loss to finding out that Vader is his father).

D-S, it is amazing that you can be such a fan of something that is so cumulatively boring. While I highly enjoy the action and battle scenes of the movies, the boring times you mention are when the story is laid down and we learn who the characters are. I will add that there are some things, especially in the PT, that I found to be slow and unneccesary, which is why EP1 and EP2 will never be in my top 3 favorites.

11. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    How does hoth or the chase sequences develop the characters and the plot? Those are the most boring of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    J_S, uch, my heart is pierced by your belief that the PT has surpassed the OT,

Sorry. :p

I enjoyed the films emensely...I did not find much fault in them...and the SpFX are equal to what the OT was (in terms of abilities).

And well, any movie that stars Jar Jar, is reason enough to believe that evil overcame.

God...another Jar Jar hater. :( :_|

c-d, we are looking at the movies as separate entities in deciding which is won by the good and the bad. ESB is the only one so far that has ended with the good guys coming away with nothing positive. Han was on his way to Jabba, the Rebel fleet is being chased by the Empire, Luke fought and got beat by Vader (as well as the emotional loss to finding out that Vader is his father).

True...but I know think about it...The big thing is that Palpatine was put into power. And the introduction of him and Anakin...This has many Bad guy victories to feel for...

How does hoth or the chase sequences develop the characters and the plot? Those are the most boring of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Hoth really developed...or I should say, further developed Han's character as a loveable scoundrel. :p
    It also showed that the Rebel characters were adaptable...

And the chase sequences had subtle hints of previous adventures that Ob1 & Ani had...and that they are not just stoic Jedi...but human.

13. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Yeah well they could have developed Han's character in a less boring way. Jabba's palace could they not have made that more interesting. for pete's sake they took the first 15 minutes of ROTJ to introduce each character on at a time as each enters the palace boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.