main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK North by NorthWest - Curry Meets (monthly?)

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    An idea discussed at the Liverpool Halloween meet whilst sat in Eddie Rocket's was a regular curry meet (monthly was mentioned) - probably based in Manchester's curry mile of Rusholme and possibly going elsewhere as we see fit. FF NYC used to have fairly regular meal meets where they'd have a topic of discussion for over the table (didn't have to be Star Wars) and that'd be where they took the evening from - usually didn't always end with the convos that started evening off, but it's an opener.

The day that seemed to fit best for most of us when we'd do this was a Monday, since neither Coz nor myself are at work that day so can travel to Manchester, and it'll be evening so won't affect people in Manchester working. I'd say best time would be about 6pm, gives those travelling back far time to eat, have a chat and get home. I'll check last trains back my way (takes an hour).

So who would be up for a monthly meal meet and chat? Regular on a Monday to be worked out. And it doesn't have to be curry everytime, if you want to suggest other food types, please post away.

http://www.rusholmecurry.co.uk/

http://www.restaurantsofmanchester.com/rusholme.htm

2. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    Great idea :) Thinking we could maybe actually start off in Manchester itself. Col doesn't finish work until 5.30 is a 6.00 start in Rusholme is pushing it - well, it's near impossible.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    *totally jealous*

4. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Don't worry Caroline, once Coz and I have checked times for getting home, we can push it back a bit so it's easier, and remember we'll meet you in Manchester city centre so we'll be meeting you and Col there not Rusholme.

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    My last trian is at 11:13 from Victoria

6. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Sounds fun, I'm up for it if my work shifts allow. My last train would be 1115 from piccadilly

7. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    sounds good.

aren't other members who can't come to these sort of left out, though? or is that just me being paranoid?

monday is fine, though. it's tuesdays that are impossible.

8. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well we wont always have it in Manchester, just on of the main places in the North West to meet up.

9. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    We may do Stockport one month :D

Does anyone want to suggest a date? Should we try and get one in before Christmas? Or start in the New Year?

10. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    oh, k, feel better now.

any date suits me except for the ones that i'm not available at :p

hope that helps.

11. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I think we should go for the New Year, it will be busy up untill christmas

12. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Have you been to the curry mile?

13. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
  14. Whim_of_the_Whills

Jul 22, 2006
    So many curry houses to choose from, and half of them would probably poison you [face_sick]

Okay, maybe not lol I think Tim's more familiar with the curry houses in that area than I am. Old memories from his student days.

15. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    So whats the plan, are we still going with the monthly meets and are we going to start them this month?

16. AHP-233

AHP-233 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2006
    I once acted for a client who was the owner/chef of one of the more 'well known' establishments on the famed curry mile.

His hands were black with dirt, his fingernails absolutely filthy and he smelt VERY badly of urine and excrement. My secretary had to almost fumigate the office once he had left (I went out for an extended lunch - bwah, ha, ha, ha!!!)

Needless to say, I haven't been back there since.

17. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
  18. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i'm in whatever food poisoning is offered :p

19. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Ok, since it was our idea to have curry meets it does seem a little bad of us not to have had one by now (Of course member numbers in NW have played a part)
    I'm still very much up for doing this, though it doesn't have to be a monthly thing. Just something to the North West ticking over.

Maybe we could have one next month, if that's not to soon?

By the way Tim, do think it might be a good idea to change the title of the thread to just 'FF-UK North by NorthWest - Curry Meets (monthly?)' since we don't have to have them in Manchester?

20. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    One a month is fine for me, if there aren't a lot of meets going on.

Next month - so far in May I know the first weekend (5/6th May) I am in MK over the weekend. Doesn't mean we can't do the Monday (7th May) still. Second weekend I am still debating over going to Bristol or not. I'll know in next day or so, since hotels are booked up fast now. The last two weeks of May are clear I think, unless someone can remind me.

June - just before I stepped down I had made a calendar for upcoming cons and such. At that time June was completely empty, still can't see much going on. So it would be nice to have some form of local meet if possible. And maybe a curry meet - or combined?

And yeah, go ahead with getting the title changed ;)

21. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Well I didn't know if people where happy to do one a month or just have them when ever is best for us.
    Since I work weekends, Monday would be best for me, though I'm not sure whens best for Martina.
    So I'm happy to try for the 7th May Tim.

22. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    oh8-} i'm always slightly disorganized.

7th soundeth good tho. not like i have any plans there.

23. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    So I guess that the 7th May will be the date of our first NW curry meet then :p

Now on to where should we hold this little get together? Where is everyone happy to travel to? Manchester and Liverpool are easy for me (plus my train runs to about 11ish) and Southport is no problem at all.

I don't know that many Indians, though I have been to the shere khan's in Liverpool (they also have a few branches in M'chester) and I've enjoyied the food there both times I've been.

http://www.sherekhanliverpool.com/index.html

24. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    welllllllll......... i already have a favourite curry place in manchester :D i don't know, guys. if it's just the three of us... i really don't care too much about the location seeing as it's monday (it is, isn't it?). can somebody else decide? [face_praying]

25. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Aye it is the Monday Martina. It doesn't really matter where we go as long as we're all happy to go there. I'm not that bothered where since I've got to travel anyway.

Would you prefer to eat at your favourite indian, Martina?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.