main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA FIDM Exhibit - Dressing A Galaxy

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by kay_dee, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I'll find out what I can from FIDM, Linda, Shawn, and if need be, Mary Franklin and Steve Sansweet.

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, but it's odder than that. If it was fan based purchasing a bit at a time I would have seen the numbers of tickets ticking down (like I do on the day a small group of us has purchased in Oct). I was checking each day because I wanted to get tickets before they were gone. Almost did for myself about 2 nights ago, then reminded myself 'none of them have sold yet - I'll keep an eye on it'.

Made me wonder if FIDM pulled the tickets for some special reason.

Hopefully Matt will hear something. Otherwise we can pick another weekend perhaps.

Cat (Lord of the Rings ACS) also usually hears back from Miachael at FIDM when she contacts him about the exhibit (they have had a bit of communication going the past week). She sent an email off to him asking why the tickets suddenly vanished and if perhaps they decided to change it to a special invitation preview week of some sort.

- Kay Dee

3. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    OK, Cat came through for me. She e-mailed Michael Black at FIDM asking about the tickets being pulled and this is what he said:

>>Due to a technicality, the exhibition will now open on September 19 instead of September 12.

>>Michael Black
    >>Assistant to Museum Director
    >>FIDM Museum & Galleries

So far the web site does not reflect this schedule change. Aassuming that's not just a line to discourage fans from trying to go during a special preview week - I guess we all need to decide if we want to hang out in LA that weekend and go to the first day opening on Monday morning - or switch hotels to the next weekend?

- Kay Dee

4. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Hmm...Saturday the 24th is my actual birthday. :D THta is fine with me, but what do others feel about that week instead or do we wanna do it on opening day which would also be our day of departure.

5. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Hmmm. Monday, huh? That makes opening day my birthday. Oh well, I guess that's an OK present. ;) What does everyone think about getting there over the weekend and leaving late Monday night?

6. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm OK with leaving late Monday night. But I know we need to find out from others what their schedule is like.

- Kathy

7. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Well I'm pretty much free...if for some strange miracle I either: a.) get a gig, or b.) get a new job...So I the answer is "Yes, I will be free that weekend!" ;)

8. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I'm fine with it. Besides if we leave too early on Monday, we hit commuter SoCal traffic, and if we leave late afternoon, we still hit commuter SoCal traffic.

That would give us a good half of Saturday and all day Sunday.

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I guess the only down side to doing Monday might be that if other Fan Forces are planning to go opening weekend we won't be there when they are there. Up side - if there is a special gala event the weekend before it opens we will be in town if they end up wanting volunteers (I'm not holding my breath though)

Man, it sure is tempting to go to Disneyland on Sunday. Too bad it's so expensive, I haven't been there in a few years.

- Kay Dee

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    For Disneyland, I'll ask if we can get our 1/2 discount that we got last year. ;) But for FIDM, can we get tickets NOW please?!

11. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    LOL! Matt, maybe e-mail all our other attendees and check to make sure they don't have to leave early Monday morning and can stay until some time in the afternoon. Nothing has sold on the 19th yet.

Did you happen to contact any of the people you know? Some of us are still speculating that FIDM may have had to make the first week a VIP thing. I mean, they started setting this up last week, a "technicality" could be a general hidden excuse for anything. The VIPs could be their technicality. LOL!

Might I also suggest that we get 2 time blocks. There are no benches inside, and no bathrooms inside (restrooms are on upper floors where the classrooms are). It might be nice to take a scheduled break and reenter if you want to be there for a while.

- Kay Dee

12. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Monday works for me. I already have that day off and could probably get tues off if needed. That way we could go to Tut on Saturday afternoon and would still have Sun free for anything else we want to do. Also, if we can get to FIDM early on Monday, we wouldn't feel rushed.

13. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    I'd be up for the following weekend... Monday night late won't work for me... I am kinda pushing it to get Monday day free :(

Well, if it works out, I'm all for it. If not, I'm sure you guys will have a great time. :)

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh Adyn, what time did you need to be home on Monday? It would be great if everyone could come! And since you make cotumes I bet you'd especially enjoy seeing the exhibit.

- Kay Dee

15. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    OK, I bought us 8 tickets for 10 am on the 19th. Woo Hoo! :D

16. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Is 8 enough for all of us? I thought our head count was higher than that?

I don't want to be left out in the cold like at the exploratorium :) I think I'll get myself a ticket for the afternoon as well because I want to spend a lot of time there, yet take a break to eat lunch.

- kay dee

17. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Kathy on behalf of my bro, here is what he told me about the tickets. Each person has a bar-code with their name, and the following are OFFICIALLY confirmed to going and have a ticket purchased:

- Matt. T.
    - Dale T.
    - Robert L.
    - Kathy K.
    - Rachel M.
    - Anne M.
    - Brittany W.
    - Heather D.

The tickets are non-refundable, but are transferable, if for any reason one of us cannot go.

**Kat, what other time block are you buying tickets for, so we could also get some for the same as you? And are you sure there are no in/out privledges?

18. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    Ooookay. I batted my eyelashes at my hubby hahaha, and he's agreed to come home early to pick up our pooch from doggie daycare on Monday. So as long as I am back by late mon night I can go. 3 am is fine LOL I just need to be home on Tuesday morning.

So if it's moved to Monday, same plans to go down? Leaving Saturday? I'm all for carpooling and/or sharing a rental! My lil sedan is available, not tooo bad on gas mileage. Seats 4 w/o tons of luggage. Nothing fancy but it would get us there LOL.

Budget has some pretty affordable rental rates too.

(I just looked and see it'd be $200 for a mini van for 17-20th, seats 7... and $160 for a full sized car, seats 4... sooo it'd depend on how many people want to carpool I guess?)

19. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well Matt has the Aztek and I have the Saturn Wagon.

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Dale, Hopefully even if my ticket says Kathy K, Kathy S. can still get in. LOL!

Adyn, I'm so glad you can come! You should go get your ticket for 10:00 am and print it out. :)

I can e-mail FIDM about in/out priviladges. But I get the feeling if it's crowded they will make you wait because there is probably a maximum capacity the place has "If you miss your reserved time, you will be admitted into the Galleries at the next available time slot if possible." Also, I've been in contact with Cat who is in contact with People at FIDM and she said there is a possiblity if there is a crowd issue people will be asked to move on.

How long do you all think we'll stay there that day? Perhaps a reentry time of 1:45 is good? I only know of a little cafe at the school, but I worry that it might be a long wait and crowded to get food there on opening day. There is grass outside, in the past I've brought a sandwich with me and eaten outside.

Let me think about car pooling. I was thinking of spending Tuesday there as well. Then again, it might be better to wait for the crowds to die down and just go back again in late Sept or early Oct.

- Kay Dee

21. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    This sounds really complicated. I'm glad you guys seem to be able to figure out what the deal is. I'm totally lost. I didn't know seeing a costume exhibit was so convoluted.

22. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey SFFF,
    I don't mean to intrude into your discussion here.. but I'm glad you will be coming down to see this exhibit. I just walked through FIDM this afternoon on my afternoon break from work (I work pretty close to the campus), and they have the full-sized X-wing set up along with Star Wars clips playing on monitors near by. The exhibit will be in the same location they have the Academy Award costume exibits on the first floor. I'm sure it'll be well worth your trip down here. I'll be going on Sept. 12 during my lunchtime (plus a couple of vacation hours). I can't wait! I flew clear across the country to see the Magic of Myth exhibit at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, and now this exibit is practically in my house.

-JediRacer,
    your RSA

23. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for the run down Jedi Racer. Question - how are you going to get in on the 12th? There are no tickets available for that day, and I was informed that due to a "technicality" it won't open until the 19th. Did you order tickets last week?

OK, we need to agree on a time for reentry. I e-mailed these questions to Michael Black and this is his response:

"I am planning a trip with a group of friends to visit the Dressing a
    Galaxy exhibit on the 19th of September. We are wondering what the exit
    and reentry privileges will be. As I recall from past visits, the rest
    rooms are outside of the museum. If we are planning to step out for
    lunch will we need to purchase another reentry ticket for the afternoon?
    Will visitors have a time limit for browsing through the museum?"

Thank you for your interest in our exhibition. There are no reentry privileges. Once you exit the galleries, you must have another ticket to get back in. There will be portable restroom facilities in Grand Hope Park. We expect it to take around an hour to go through the exhibition.

Sincerely,

Michael Black
    Assistant to Museum Director
    FIDM Museum & Galleries
    213-624-1200 ext. 3275
    213-624-7617 fax

It sounds like we may only have an hour to look around when we are in, not clear if they will boot us out after that. But for sure, we need to get another set of tickets to go back in the afternoon.

Is 1:45 OK with everyone? Or a little later so we don't have to rush lunch? I'm leaving it up to you guys!

- Kay Dee

24. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    KayDee,
    Yes, I did order tickets last week, I bought tickets for the 12th as soon as I heard tickets were available. I hope they honor my tickets. [face_praying]

-JR

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Lucky You JediRacer! You might want to contact FIDM though to check. It almost makes me want to e-mail Michael back to check to see why some people have tickets and others are being told it doesn't open until the 19th.

- Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.