main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN Filmcon 5 in Madison, Wiscon Nov. 18th-20th

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by hexer, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hexer

hexer Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Hello Fan Force Members,

This is Eric Larson from Madison, Wisconsin. Some of you may know me from the Milwookie council.

I run Filmcon down here in Madison Wisconsin. I wanted to let you know that we will be having a Star Wars themed convention this year. November 18-20th. This is our 5th convention. Many of you from the twin cities area have attended before, so I hope you can make it again.

I truly want this to be an experience for fans of both trilogies. With special panels, and events that all center around out favorite films.

The web site will be up shortly, but in the mean time if you have questions, anyone can contact me thru FF Messaging or at my email address at the end of the message. I am still looking for people who want to be on panels- or for that matter run panels on certain topics of interest to Star Wars fans.

As of this moment we have 2 guests(Providing there is not a sheduling issue) the Elsey?s. The creature shop people from Farscape and Episode 3 have said they would like to attend this year. It wi;; give the convention gorers a rare look into the making of the film from a different perspective.

Playstation has also given a big thumbs up in support and will be providing many freebies and fun activities to do during the weekend.

If anyone in the fanforce is interested in attending, or finding out more information please contact Eric Larson(that?s me) at the following address- or visit the website...to be completed soon! I would also like to thank many from your club who have helped in years past! Thank you so much!!!

ericlarson@centurytel.net

www.filmcon.org

Thanks again-Hope to see many of you there!

2. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey cool!

Thanks for the heads up on this!

Mirax80

3. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    A most awesome con! I went to FilmCon2 or 3 (don't remember which) and it was great... Very intimate w/ lots to do :D

Wish I could go again :(

4. TK-7554

TK-7554 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2003
    Sounds like great fun! :D

5. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I did have a blast at the one I went to as well.

My vacation time is used up but if I have the weekend off I will drive down for at least a day.

6. hexer

hexer Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Thanks for the good plugs! I try very hard to make this a fun and exciting convention.

To give more info, the convention is also a learning event. Many panels are "how to" and are made to teach the attending members. In the past our guests have done many fun panels like iain McCaig- handed out his original drawings to look at from Episode 1. Dr. David West Renyold's showed off props from his books including a Sith holocron. Paul Topolos showed over 25 minutes of unused footage from Attack OTC-not on the DVD! Lee stringer showed how he won his Emmy by showing how in a live demo, he help create the effects for the New Battlestar Galactica series. I never know what the guests will do or bring- all I ask is that they talk about and show what they do for a living.

We will be having a Costume contest with GREAT trophies, many panels and of course our famous Charity auction for Breast Cancer survivors. This year we will have many one of a kind SW items and some very rare old ones. If anyone would like to donate to the auction let me know. The best part is we don't charge for autographs...and there are very LITTLE lines....the most time spent is about 15 minutes.

For those of you who would like to help out, I am still looking for panelists and people who wish to lead discussions. Thanks again for the interest!!!

7. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Hmmmm, had a blast at the last one .....I'll have to see how classes are going before I commit to anything but - IT's a GREAT con!]
    Reb

8. hexer

hexer Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    We will be releasing the names of our guests this next week. If all goes as planned this will be a RARE star wars weekend for fans.

Filmcon is trying to get what wasn't even at C3...so if you love film, costumes and make-up-

Stay tuned!!!

Thanks for the plug...love ya Reb!!! This could be even more fun than the 3rd...this will be Star wars to the max!

9. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Just popping over from the Milwaukee Forum to say that Filmcon is great (I've attended the last three and enjoyed them immensely plus I help Eric before and during the con - see below about the lightsaber classes).

Believe me, you won't be disappointed if you go. Please support this media-based convention because, instead of actors, you get to meet the behind-the-scenes people, such as concept artists, make-up and prosthetics, CGI-animators etc etc etc. Please support Eric and come to the convention in November!

Also, I am half of the team who taught the previous lightsaber classes (and LOTR swordfighting class) and will again be teaching lightsaber this year. We also plan to show you how to put a choreographed duel together - a simple one, no back flips etc, but one that can be easily learned. The classes, both on Sunday, will be strictly limited to 10 people each so we have the room to move and swing those lightsabers. If you want to be part of the class, let Eric know via email and include an extra $10 with your registration form and convention fee (this $10 fee goes to the convention, not us) and remember to bring a long dowel (details will be posted soon on the website as to the diameter and length required). If you have questions about the lightsaber class email me at lauzun@execpc.com with the subject Filmcon Lightsaber Class.

10. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    I realize we just released information on Erik Tiemens to you. Well this morning we have more news. Our next set of guests have confirmed and I am now proud to announce who they are!

Lou and Dave Elsey. This husband and wife team are the ones responsible for such shows as Farscape and films like Alien 3,Babe 2, Braveheart, Hellraiser, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and of course Revenge of the Sith.

These creative are always in demand and are very busy, but have consented to be our guests this year and help our charity. FilmCon is very excited to have them as technical guests at this years convention.

We are hoping they will be able to answer some great questions about your favorite shows, ad at the same time share some information on what they do, and how they do it in the mega blockbusters they are associated with. Our plan is to also have them show a live demo on prosthetic makeup.

For those of you interested in film making and the art of make-up for films, this will be a weekend you will never forget.

For more information on Lou and David please visit there website at:

www.imagecreative.net/

11. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    Hi everybody,

It's Mark Twitchell, the smilin Kit Fisto of C3.

If you haven't been to a FilmCon yet you have no idea what you're missing. It's an excellent convention which focuses on the creative aspects of film making and a variety of other hands on project work as well such as costuming, prop building and CGI.

The guests at these things are most often production crew who have worked on various television series and big budget films, Star Wars included. There are light saber classes, fan film screenings and a host of activities going on and of course there's the main reason we all go to these things . . to get away from it all and hang out with fellow SW fans.

I really hope as many of you can make it as possible. In light of Xpress Entertainment launching and production on this . . .

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/LogoFinal.jpg]

. . . going so well, I've been invited to give 2, 1 hour panels at this con on Film production. If you've ever thought about sinking your teeth into a film project and would like a roadmap of what to expect and how to get things done, I've designed this seminar to cater directly to independent production.

I'll be going over every imaginable topic from creative writing and concept design to principal photography, set design and post production. The best part is that the techniques are applicable for a wide range of budgets and scale.

My own fan film creation is budgeted at $30,000, will be shot almost entirely on blue and green screens, run nearly an hour and a half in run time and follow every true idiom of a real star wars film. Interweaving story lines, easter eggs and inside jokes, and explore how the death star plans were stolen, how Han won the Falcon and how he set the kessel run record as well as showing what happened when he had to ditch his cargo.

If anyone wants a copy of the script for entertainment purposes PM me and you'll get a copy.

FilmCon is amazing. It's always a lot of fun to get together and hang out with friends, participate in the costume contest and the guests are the true salt of the earth, people who do the real work when it comes to producing all aspects of media. I've been attending since FilmCon 3.

Pre register now because it's cheaper the earlier you do it and we're trying to break records on attendance with this baby. I would fly down for it even if I wasn't hosting anything. Everybody pull a Nike and just do it. [face_peace]

I look forward to seeing you there.

12. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    Hey MF Members!
    Just another post about FilmCon. Eric really needs you to register now and pay your fee! He's starting to work on the budget so needs money for such things as the airfare for the Elsey's and Erik Tiemens and other guests and expenses. If he doesn't have a certain amount of money to pay these expenses, things are going to have to be cancelled and we wouldn't want that to happen.

From talking with him, it sounds like Erik Tiemens will be bringing some very exciting conceptual artwork not before seen (and not in the Art of ROTS either) and the special session with the Elsey's (which costs an extra $75) is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for those who are interested in make-up etc. And, of course, the lightsaber classes will be fun?send in your extra $10 for that as well (the classes are limited to a total of 10 people each).

So, please, register now and send in your money! He doesn't want to beg so I'm doing it for him. The price of $35 is good until September 30 ($45 at the door) so do it now and save some money (or put that extra $10 towards the lightsaber class!).

If you have any questions, contact Eric through the website at FilmCon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.