main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    final fantasy 12 for ps2 is good. better music imo

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Not on the original consoles, no, but they have all been released in the US and Europe on various other platforms. This page says that it was released on the PSP, but it doesn't say if it was download only or if it was UMD as well: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_III

My main concern about the PS1 titles is that the PSP has such a small screen and I don't have any way to see if the screen is too small or not.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, I might vaguely remember hearing about FF3 getting a Japanese UMD release, but probably not in America. I do know it was remade on the DS and that version has also popped up as an iphone and ipad version too (though most Square Enix games are overpriced on the app store). Final Fantasy IV got a DS remake too and that was ported to the PSP, I know that at least.

Most of the main series Final Fantasies have been ported or remade or rereleased in the last decade and have gotten English releases on DS, PSP etc.. Or are available from the PSN at least, either as a PSP download or as a PS1 game.

The PS1 games are playable on the PSP screen, though not sure what you consider acceptable. One way sort of around that problem is to use cables so the PSP display will output to an HDTV, but not sure where to get those cables anymore, and it would have to have been a second or third-gen PSP at least.

4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I play them on the Vita, its been pretty legit so far.

Evil.

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Nobody145: I never knew where to get the cables from when it came out, so I've no hope now. I'm mostly worried about being able to read the text.

Evil_King_Wiggins: cool. Any problems with text at at all?

6. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    None at all, everything is perfectly readable.

Evil.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Final Fantasy: Lightning Returns Demo

That's 30 minutes of my life I won't get back, thanks so much.

8. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    That bad, huh? Was it the combat, the convoluted nonsensical story (or however much they could squeeze into a demo) or the whole package? The graphics still look nice, but gave up after XIII. I'm even a bit worried about FFX these days, since there were rumors of a X-3, or the mere possibility of one after the HD release.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For me, too convoluted a battle display that lacks the immediate effect of that used in FF13 / FF13-2.

Juggling 3 ATB / HP bars, with healing very restricted and a graphical in place of numerical stagger gauge is just too much to process.

10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Personally, I think XIII and XIII-2 had one of the best battle systems for a traditional JRPG. The idea that you were juggling paradigms rather than controlling the micro-movements of your party members was pretty innovative, I felt.

I enjoyed XIII's story, despite it's flaws. The fugitive aspect appealed to me, and in terms of lore, I enjoyed that much of it was ambiguous and biased to the authors, with the fal'Cie, people of Cocoon, and people of Pulse all having their own versions of events. XIII-2 didn't really have a story. Well, it did, but it was awful. Again, I really enjoyed the battle system, and everybody loves a Pokemon mechanic.

Haven't decided whether I'll pick up Lightning Returns yet. It seems that Square is going in this action-RPG direction, as we can also see with FF15, and I don't know if I'm sold on it yet.

Regardless, I'm looking to pick up X/X-2 HD in March, as it's been ages since I've played them and I no longer own my PS2.

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    If XIII-3's combat isn't that good, they're really in trouble, as combat was one of the few good things about XIII-2, or so I've heard. Well, that and the graphics, but don't care about pretty graphics that much anymore.

XIII by itself was decent, I liked it a bit. The long wait for it didn't help, but it was good. XIII-2 was horrible, I've tried reading about the story and it just sounds depressing. I'm definitely not buying either sequels, at least not until they're seriously marked down in price or used copies maybe.

Versus/XV might still be good, but the long, long wait doesn't help either. Though XV was always going to be an action-RPG, given that the Kingdom Hearts staff (or director or producer or something) was working on it. If XV does come out by 2015, that'll be a major accomplishment.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Bear in mind that the perceptive issues I've covered are really individual to me, others will probably get on fine.

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    As much as I love the franchise I am worried about the direction it's going in. My favourite in the series has got to be FFII. FFVIII was the first I played, so it has a special place, but there's something about FFXIII that doesn't sit quite right. I'm more than fine with FFXV being an action-RPG, but I'd like it if the series went back to the beginning and looked at what made it great instead of trying to improve things and making them not as good. If they can make something as amazing as 4 Heroes of Light, then they can do another great game for the bigger consoles.

Also, I have a question. I have most of the Final Fantasy games but I don't play them much as they're PSP/DS and I don't use those any more. What would be the best way to get them? I'm thinking Vita because it's portable and I have heard good things, but then there's the PS3, though I already have a 360 and wouldn't use a PS3 for much else. Thoughts?

14. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Probably a Vita or a PS3 (I love that console, but it depends on your interests) or just stick with the PSP/DS. Though Vita memory cards are still a tad too expensive. Not sure there has been much Final Fantasy stuff on 360, aside from FFXIII/2/3, whereas the Playstation Network has 7, 8, and 9 at least, as well as a few Playstation ports of the older ones, I think, as well as the PSP remake of IV. There's also the upcoming HD ports of Final Fantasy X/X-2 (X-2 is probably when things really started going off the rails), which will be in PS3 and Vita. And the ports will be the International versions so there'll be more stuff (extra bosses, missions, etc.) then in the original American version.

PSP (and the Vita) probably has access to the most number of Final Fantasy games. Square-Enix PSP games were often quite good (Crisis Core and Birth By Sleep for instance). Though too bad they never bothered to localize Type-0 (formerly known as Final Fantasy XIII Agito I think, before the whole Fabula Nova Chrystalum or whatever it was called project fell apart from being stuck in development for over five years). Then again, that was late in the PSP's life and the PSP never did that well outside of Japan either.

There's also the mobile versions too, I think. I know the Itunes store has at least Final Fantasy III and IV (ports of the DS/PSP remakes). Let's see, they've also got Tactics, and I and II and V. Though by App Store standards the games are somewhat expensive and not sure about the quality of the ports (never got around to playing through III). Most of the rest of the Final Fantasy apps are just desperate cash grabs, since they can't just rely on ports of their older classics.

Oh yeah, PS3 has Final Fantasy XIV now, though that's an MMO, I've got to get around to trying that, heard very good things about it after they relaunched it.

15. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I know exactly what you mean. The franchise remains epic, however it is ever-changing, and sometimes focuses less on stellar gameplay + sensational storylines, and more on stronger visuals + shifting battle systematics. It would seem that the more recent installment (FFXIII) was geared more toward linear gameplay, than the map traversing fun of the originals.

Sadly, the series might never go back to that nonlinear style, though, because the developers have stated in the past that it would take around triple the time it would to create their current versions of Final Fantasy, if they were to go back to the nonlinear gameplay, and thusly that is not their primary focus.

I would love to see a remake of Final Fantasy VII, as that is my personal favorite. Final Fantasy VI was supposed to be incredible as well, but I have yet to play it.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    VI is a great game. I have both a first gen release of the SNES version, complete with the infamous Sketch bug and the GBA version. It's a very entertaining story and a simple, yet effective engine.

To be fair, when I play the games, I tend to follow the same side quest missions and often with the same party members when it's a game where you can change them out. So for me, at least, being not so linear isn't an issue.

07jonesj likes this.
  17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I won a copy of Lightening Returns and I actually really like it. It's a lot like FFVII: Crisis Core in gameplay and combat mechanics, and I liked that. The whole time thing is confusing though. I'm used to having day and night cycles in games and having random events happen only at a certain time of day, but in those games I've never had a sidequest that I can fail because I don't complete it in time. I do like it though. I just need to wrap my head around the whole time thing first and I'll be fine.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Out of curiosity, how have you found the full game? I've found FF demos don't always capture that well as FF13-2 proved.

I've just started on the FFX Remaster and it's quite something. They haven't just redone the graphics but the soundtrack as well and all the little touches add up to quite an impact!

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I was always disapointed that Type-0 never made it out of Japan, but now it's coming out on the Xbox One and PS4 in HD so I'm really pleased with that news. I can't wait for it.

20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    This used to be my favorite RPG franchise, but Persona has quickly taken overs. XII was ok, but XIII and on don't do it for me. XV appears to have the KH battle system, and that was the most mind numbingly boring battle system ever. I enjoyed the KH games, but the battle system was awful.

I find it funny however that 15 is supposed to be open world with exploration. Makes their excuse even worse as to why they couldn't have had 13 more open.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I've finally gotten FFV Advance, earlier this month and have been slowly working my way through it. I just finished the Library Of Ancients. I can understand why Squaresoft thought that the Job system would be difficult for American audiences to understand, though at the same time, I think it was a serious underestimation. You can really tell that V and MQ were developed pretty close to each other, since certain ideas introduced in V were used in MQ.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Arse. FFXV not until 2016.....

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    So, anyone else pick up Type-0? Though it is a bit much to pay full price for the HD version of a PSP game, but oh well, I had heard good things about it, and it does come with the XV demo (which was probably their strategy anyway).

Still getting started on Type-0, but the XV demo is quite pretty and somewhat fun. And it has English voices, wonder if those will be kept for the final game. I think I saw an article once about them hoping for a worldwide release, but that requires them to actually finish the game after all these years.

If XV was released in 2015, I would be very, very surprised. I would be glad to hear that news, but I'm not expecting it. Though hopefully the demo is a good sign. Always hard to tell how far along they are, given how interviews usually are (and that's not even including localization).

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, I got it. I don't mind paying full price for it as it's not much more than it would have been on the PSP. They pretty much remade it for the PS4 and Xbox One as well, so it's more than just a bit of HD stuff that they did. After all the years of waiting I think I would have paid more, tbh.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    New Final Fantasy XV battle video: