main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fitting in

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Kit', Apr 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    From theforce.net's Humor section.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Top ten reasons for rejecting a padawan...

9. Discovered he cheated on his Midiclorian tests.

And now for the real story....

Seventeen year old Rohnin Darkil stared at the ceiling in boredom, the gray fleece-lined roof was pitted in places and gum stuck to other bits, it was disgusting and boring. Rohnin sighed and heaved himself upright.

"Almost there." the pilot called cheerily back at him.

Great, home sweet home. Rohnin thought drearily. It wasn't like the Jedi temple was his home, he only really visited the place every so often when his parents could afford the time to see him. The temple shone below them as the pilot gently brought the spacecraft down.

"Home sweet home" the pilot said, echoing Rohnin's thoughts. There is one major difference, Rohnin thought as he thanked the pilot. He truly means it.

The landing pad was wide and sunny and three figures in the customary brown Jedi robes were walking to meet him. Already Rohnin could pick out his mother's red hair glinting in the sunlight and his father's stately walk. There was also a smaller figure, one who would walk sedately for a few paces and then forget and skip to catch up, before she settled into her walk again. They drew closer and Rohnin made himself bow. The three bowed back before his mother advanced to sweep him up into a hug.

"Oh Rohnin, I have missed you so much." she cooed, Rohnin struggled momentarily.

"Let me go Mother, I'm not a four year old any longer." He said smiling.

"No, you're not." His Mother released him and Rohnin stepped back. N-ari Darkil, his mother, stood just under his shoulder now, her long red hair was braided into thousands of tiny braids which swept back and forth when ever she moved.

She doesn't look that much older. Rohnin thought, the only sign of her age was the small crows-feet around her eyes and the fact that her once girlish figure was slowly but surely filling out. Rohnin smiled, at her suddenly. His father quickly stepped forward, he had the same fine black hair and black eyes that Rohnin had inherited but his black beard was beginning to show streaks of silver .

'Stop staring at your mother like you haven't seen her in years, you'll give her a complex." Ventrid said merrily, Rohnin laughed.

'But I haven't seen her in years." he pointed out half-seriously, then quickly changed the subject. "Where's Kendry?" he asked.

Ventrid smiled. "He probably just finished scrubbing the cafeteria, he and Bruck had a...ur...altercation yesterday." Kendry was Ventrid's padawan and the boy was the only person Rohnin could count on in the temple.
    Rohnin noticed that the third person in the group, the young girl, was hopping from one foot to the other in a determined effort to get his attention. Her short blue hair spiked upwards in the traditional padawan cut and she was stared at Rohnin with piercing orange eyes.

"This is my padawan, Anglesie Fadin." N-ari said lightly, she moved to stand behind the girl.

"Pleased to meet you." Anglesie said gravely. Rohnin dropped down to on one knee to look the little girl in the eye.

"And I am very pleased to meet you, Anglesie Fadin, apprentice healer." he said formally.

"What's that?" she asked pointing to the chain around his neck. Rohnin's hand rose unconsciously to cover the little pendant.

"A flame jewel, from my friend Shiree. They come from her home world." he said. N-ari smiled at her husband.

"So it seems our son finally has a girlfriend." she said.

"It's not like that." Rohnin said hotly. Another figure came racing across the landing pad, Kendry leapt at Rohnin to tackle him but Rohnin was too quick and ducked. Kendry only managed to snatch off Rohnin's hat. There were gasps from the entire family.

"Rohnin." N-ari's voice was a quiet reprimand. The boy ran one hand through his dark hair, the tips shone green in the light and he slightly cursed Shiree and Jetar for letting him do it.

"I think it looks awesome." Kendry said softly, h

2. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Ooooo! I get to be the first to reply! I like this, something different. I am definitely looking forward to more!

3. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thanks light_sabe_r!!!!!! Anyway here is a little more, I would love to post more often then I did on mind Games (new post up today people! Hint hint tongue.gif But I'm not promising anything.

Kithera

"So how's things Jedi who is not a Jedi?" Kendry said laughingly as he put Rohnin's bag down.

"Kendry, I wouldn't push it anymore." Rohnin shot back "I'd guess that I would be stronger, and taller then you by now."

"Not by much though." Kendry said. "How is the new school?"

"Boring, as per usual. The new principal singled me out because of my parents. Everyone wants to know how you can have Jedi parents and no midi-chlorine count.....I still want to know" he added more to himself. "Sometimes I just think that having Jedi parentage is something that will hunt me for the rest of my life. Maybe I should just disappear and start again."

"You can't be serious." Kendry said half-heartedly the boys purple eyes stared wordlessly at Rohnin for a few seconds as if he was trying to stare through him. Rohnin felt something touch the edges of his mind and slammed his shields up.

"Damn." Kendry whispered. Rohnin chucked a pillow at him.

"I heard that." Anglesie said from the doorway, "I'm going to tell Master Ventrid, then you'll be in trouble."

Kendry shot her a dirty look. "You'd better not. Or I might get peckish in the middle of the night and eat you all up!" he shouted making a dive at her. Anglesie shrieked and ran out. Rohnin sat back watching the action and feeling more and more alone.

"How old is Anglesie." Rohnin asked from the corner.

"Nine, almost ten." Kendry answered

"She's very young."

"Master N-ari says that despite her age Anglesie has a greater potential, I think that she got in early because she didn't want Anglesie taken by any other healers." Kendry said smiling, the sandy-haired boy was a year younger the Rohnin but he acted as if he was two. They had grown up in the temple together and Rohnin could remember being delighted that Ventrid had selected Kendry as his padawan even though the other masters had said he was too immature.

"Boys, Anglesie, dinner." N-ari yelled from the kitchen. Kendry tossed the pillow back at Rohnin.

"What I can't understand is how you manage to know I'm in your head and slam your mental shields into place. Most ordinary people can be mind-suggested to act like a chicken and they will." Kendry murmured.

"You say 'ordinary' as if it was a curse." Rohnin punched his friend's arm. "Anyway, I grew up with you remember."

"Most unfortunately I do." Kendry replied. He ducked Rohnin's fist and came up laughing.

"If I remember correctly it was you who taught me to slide down banisters and you who suggested that we sneak into Mace Windu's room." Rohnin said

"And you two; who never came back in time to eat dinner because both of you were too busy scrubbing something or weeding Yoda's garden." Ventrid said from the dinner table.

"Mmm, roast padawan, my favourite." Kendry said staring very hard at Anglesie. The girl shrieked and upset her plate of food, which almost tipped over. N-ari leant over to snatch it up before it fell.

"Padawan, we do not shriek at the dinner table." She said sternly.

"No master." Anglesie said downcast.

"And padawan, we do not think about eating younger iniates." Ventrid added staring at Kendry. Kendry dropped into his seat.

"Sorry Master." he said quietly. Rohnin started to laugh at Kendry's predicament.

"And!" N-ari and Ventrid said together staring at Rohnin. Rohnin stopped laughing although he still smiled.

"Sorry." he mumbled. Ventrid leaned over to start carving the dinner.

"I hope you didn't overcook It." he said to N-ari, "Baby meat becomes so tough if it's overcooked." The entire family started to laugh.

"Home sweet home." Rohnin said, and meant it.

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    A Jedi family life. That's something new. I like it. I'm glad you decided to work out the characters first and not just throw them into some action.

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I like this new idea! A son of two Jedis with no midi-chlorian count to speak of, and a mischievous streak to boot! I like the way he feels he doesn't fit in and that the Temple is not his home. I like the portrayal of family life here; mother and Padawan, father and Padawan, and the biological son somewhere in the middle. Interesting concept! Keep posting more!

6. L's angel

L's angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    Keep up the good work, you and Light_sabe_r are just proving that ausie's can write and write well.

"never have i seen an angel fly so low"

7. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Ooooooo! A new Kit' story!

All I can say is <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Coooooolllllll!!!!!!

8. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Excellent idea and so original!
    Of course it's also extremely well written. Can't wait for more.

9. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Hey Kit', this is really cool! I love the way you've written these characters. More soon please!

10. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    Come on Kit' I need some more!

11. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    Wow! This is interesting. I want to read more!

12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Okay, I promise I'll post about every two days....I hope. Anyway, I found this on the third page so I just thought I'd up it with a new bit....

There was a ring at the doorbell and Kendry switched off the remote he had been battling, Rohnin glanced up from his book.
    "It's Obi-wan Kenobi." Anglesie called. Kendry mopped his arms quickly with the towel and headed towards the door,
    "Master?" he called.
    "You can go, be back before curfew Kendry." Ventrid said back, N-ari appeared at the door.
    "Why don't you take Rohnin, I'm sure he would want to go." she said.
    "Mother, I barely know Obi-wan. Last time I think I got into a fist-fight with him." Rohnin interjected.
    "Last time you were nine years old and had a terrible temper. If I remember you started it as well." N-ari's eyebrows shot up as she spoke. "I don't want you moping around the house."
    "I don't think I want to go." Rohnin stated quietly,
    "I think that you do." N-ari shot back.
    "I really think that I do not." Rohnin said back, "I think I am old enough to make my own decisions."
    "I don't. Come on." Kendry said grabbing Rohnin's wrist and dragging him out the door.
    Ventrid had come to stand in the doorway, N-ari walked over to him and put one hand on his chest.
    "That's what I like about your padawan. He's so direct." N-ari said.
    "What about me?" Anglesie piped up.
    "You, well, how about I tell you the moment you have hopped into bed. Off you go." N-ari said softly, the young girl jumped from her seat and raced off.

Obi-wan Kenobi stood self-consciously outside the Darkil's door. There seemed to be some kind of argument progressing inside and it certainly wasn't between Kendry and his master. The next second Kendry appeared with another boy in tow. The boy was taller then both of them and glowering ferociously.
    "Obi-wan Kenobi meet Rohnin Darkil." Kendry said smiling.
    "We've met." Rohnin said folding his arms over his chest.
    "Yes," Obi-wan replied. "You were nine, twice my size and made a joke about how my ears stuck out."
    "I thought it was you who make the wise crack, something about me not becoming a Jedi."
    "No," Obi-wan corrected. "That was Bruck Chun."
    "Oh."
    "I still knocked you flat." Obi-wan pointed out.
    "Only after you had a black eye and Mace Windu had me by the back of the shirt. You force-threw an obstacle block at me. A slightly unfair advantage wouldn't you say?"
    "Hey, Obi-wan are we going to stand out here until curfew or are you going to get over something that happened when we were nine. Rohnin if you're looking for a fight I could always remind you about the time you wouldn't share your toys when you were four."
    "That's unfair." Rohnin called as he ran after the other two padawans. The came to the top of a set of stairs.
    "Shall we?" Kendry asked.
    "Do you want to scrub floors again?" Obi-wan asked. Rohnin leapt up onto the banister, he slid down standing up. The two padawans ran after him as he got to the bottom.
    "That was cool." Kendry said. "I can't do that, even with the Force."
    "That is because you still belong in the nursery area." Rohnin said, "Shiree taught me that."
    A smile was spreading mischievously over Obi-wan's face.
    "Race ya." he said reverting to childhood slang.
    "Right, go right." Obi-wan yelled. "You're going to crash."
    "I'm not." Kendry shot back.
    "Oh brother, we're going down." Obi-wan said again.
    "I'm not even in the danger zone yet."
    "You just clipped a tree. No wonder Master Yoda banned you from driving."
    "He what?" Rohnin asked.
    "He never did." Kendry said angrily.
    "Drive you cannot, hopeless you are." Rohnin said using his best Yoda voice. "About to loose the game you are. My turn it is." he said
    "Actually it is mine." the three boys spun around guilty to the confronting figure of Master Jinn.
    "Master." Obi-wan managed to gasp. "I'm sorry I..."
    "Didn't ask about having friends over? It's okay Obi-wan. It does look like you were doing something constructive." Qui-gon said pointing to the screen. "You just lost Padawan O'tare." Kendry looked both startled and disappointed for a second.
    "Welcome back Rohnin Dar

13. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Hooray, another post! I particularly liked the way that Rohnin imitated Master Yoda. "About to lose the game, you are. My turn it is." And the way that Obi-Wan remembers that Rohnin told him his ears stick out, because that's exactly the sort of thing kids remember! Good, now keep going!

14. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow, great story, Kit!

15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    UP? tongue.gif

Kithera

16. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Great story Kit', just keep posting and you won't find the need to up your thread. We'll be happy to do it for you.

17. light_sabe_r

Feb 11, 2000
    More you must post!

Then, we'll up this thing for Ya!

18. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Go, Kit', Go!!!

19. Hiroko01

Hiroko01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1998
    Neato!

20. L's angel

L's angel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    Keep it up Kit i like it alot great work.

"never have i seen an angel fly so low"

21. Nicckia

Nicckia Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 1999
    Wooo Hooo for Kit'!
    Remember me! Well I love the story so far, I only hope I get on often enough to read the entire thing and become a big follower.
    Seems like you've got quite a crowd already, so maybe I should find someone else to follow? tongue.gif
    *suggestive impluses* Kit' you will write me an e-mail, or you'll act like a chicken!
    Later
    Nicckia

22. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Just found this. Love it. Aren't Correlian Jedi's supposed to have families???

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thankyou everyone!!!!!! Replies make my day so much better...this what I would consider as a very iffy post. VERY IFFY!!!!!

Rohnin scooted around the open door frame to stand breathlessly in the living room, Kendry was already there grinning at him.

"Kendry one. Rohnin zero and falling. He said triumphantly.

"Kendry disqualified for cheating by force-tripping me in the hall" Rohnin replied.

"I never did." Kendry said appealing to Master Ventrid who had come to see what the fuss was.

"Twice." Rohnin added. Ventrid looked stern,

"Padawan?" he asked.

"Okay, maybe once after he had cheated himself."

"Rohnin?" This time it was N-ari who spoke.

"I didn't honest. Kendry's just mad because I was beating him until the forth corridor and he slipped over." Rohnin answered.

"I wasn't meaning that. I want to talk to you about your report card." N-ari said even more sternly, she beckoned and Rohnin followed his parents reluctantly into the kitchen. Kendry poked his facer around the door.

"Go to bed Kendry." Ventrid said.

"But Master?" Kendry whined deliberately, "I wanna see Rohnin chewed out."

"Who said anything about bad marks? Go to bed." Ventrid said easily, he smiled as he heard Rohnin sigh in relief. As soon as they heard Kendry's door close, N-ari's face turned serious.

"Rohnin, I'm very disapointed in you." She said sternly.

"I thought you didn't say anything about bad marks."

"I didn't. In fact you have been excelling in most of your subjects. That, however, is not what this is about." Ventrid put in evenly

"Well, would you like to explain it or are you going to make me guess." Rohnin voice sounded more annoyed then he would have liked.

"Try your attitude Rohnin, which you just gave a a short display of." N-ari said angrily as she rose to her feet. "All your teachers say that your work is brilliant but you show a constant wish to get into trouble, either through fighting or disagreeing with the teacher.'

"If you are talking about Mr Tr-eba then it wasn't me it was Jefar who threw the orange at him" Rohnin said

"I'm not, but thankyou for bringing to my attention. Rohnin this wasn't just some isolated incident this has being going on since you left the Jedi Temple, even before you left. All your teachers were saying that not just one. I just want to know why."N-ari sounded flustered and Ventrid put one hand on her shoulder before turning to face Rohnin.

"We just want to know why Rohnin." He said softly

"You wouldn't understand." Rohnin said in annoyance, "You've never understood anything. I've swapped more schools then I have fingers." Rohnin could feel himself getting angry.

"Understand what?" Ventrid asked.

"It doesn't matter, Okay. I'm going to bed. I won't bother you again." Rohnin flung himself out of the room.Stupid parents will never understand what it is like. he thought angrily. He closed the door to Kendry's room and sorted through his clothes in the dark. Finding his pyjamas he swiftly got dressed, only after he had finally laid down under the covers of the spare bed did he hear Kendry chuckling.

"So, did they chew you out?" Kendry asked.

"Shut up, Kendry!"

24. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Not as iffy as you might think, Kit'. Poor Rohnin! First he loses the race home, and then his parents jump on him with his report card, and then they have no idea why he has an attitude problem. Good conflicts here, especially with Kendry just waiting to see him get chewed out. Ventrid should have a serious talk with his Padawan about not taking pleasure in another's discomfort! Stupid parents!

Dare I ask for more Obi-Wan?

25. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    Actually, I really sympathize with Rohnin. He's grown up among Jedi, only to find out he will never fit in because of some freak of nature. So, instead, he gets passed from school to school. Plus, if he sees his parents paying all that attention to their padawans instead of him, there's gotta to be jealousy. Yes, good chance for angst!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.