main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Five things you need to know about the Transformers Movie

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Grieyls, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Go Mr Bay, GO!:p

Can't wait till tomorrow!

2. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Yeah, I can't wait until... August! :mad: Seriously, I can't wait!!!

3. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Then don't wait! [face_mischief]

Congrats to IC and General Cargin on scoring advance screening Tix for Monday night.

Reviews or not, I'm going into this one with a big bucket of popcorn and expecting not much more than 'splosions n stuff.

4. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Unfortunately for me, I'm adverse to acquiring movies from the internet (TV shows are fine because they're paid for in advertising). One month isn't too bad, I'll just avoid the threads on here about the movie until I've seen it.

5. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I implied getting on a plane and going somewhere it's screening... ;)

6. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Have someone else describe it to you. :p

I'm going into this one with a big bucket of popcorn and expecting not much more than 'splosions n stuff.

QFT. Besides, that seems to be exactly the experience the reviews are describing. Can't wait.

7. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    D-Day is tomorrow :D :D :D

8. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    I've just seen it.

WOW.

As I posted in the SAFF -
    "My humblest apologies Michael Bay". I was wrong for bagging you.

The film was great.

9. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Just wanted to wish all of you, on this important day, the very best of times. :D

Enjoy it! Switch off your brain Goobs. I will probably see it with whoever wants to see it again at some other time.

GO BUMBLEBEE!

10. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Two hours before I squeel with glee :D :D :D

11. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Grab a drink, pull up a chair. Well, of course you're sitting, I mean who's standing at their pc these days?

Anyway, my review from a fan's point of view.
    As mentioned in the reviews thread, I think there were too many people in this movie. The Aussie techie and her Hacker friend, the other 'invites' to the Pentagon could have been replaced with just one or two military types. This said, there was a helluva lot of military in this movie, Bay wanted it that way. But the involvement of the Military in a lot of small ways - interior of the AWACS plane, troops running for their planes and other small extra shots, to me got in the way of things (in a small way).

The Army squad...I see what they were trying to do, that feel for them that you had in aliens, as someone's mentioned already. But there was almost a feel of slipping in ethnic types for either PC reasons, or because there's lots of fans from those groups, I don't know. Maybe it's a thing occuring in movies these days, but it felt planted to me. The big problem with this, is apart from the 2 main guys from that squad, the rest were unheard of really for the rest of the movie. If they'd have kept the squad dynamic through the final battle, it might have made the squad feel less a bunch of tokens, and actually a real squad.

Oh boy this is going to take some time, this post. Anyway...

Blackout's attack on the Qatar base was devastating. Awesome. But everything with Scorpinok after that really didn't have to be in the movie. The stuff they brought into the movie could really have been done at the Qatar base, and since there was no squad dynamic in the final battle, why bother putting it in earlier? Wow I am sounding harsh now. Back to some positives! Frenzy was awesome. Some things, like flipping off people, to trying to hide his face (rofl) as he left Air Force One... really impressed with Frenzy.
    Barricade - wow. Menacing, quck to transform, driven. He was great. Wonder what happened to him after the freeway? He wasn't in the final battle I don't think.
    Blackout was like a tank really. Lumbering, strong, unstoppable. Same with Devastator. I was amazed to see the autobots teaming up to take down Blackout (with human help). I got a feel for Ninja Turtles or something, where they all attack as one, from many angles. Loved that take down. Devastator's too.
    Starscream really wasn't used as much as I thought he would be. He was so powerful! He was responsible for Bumblebee losing his legs, remember. His attack on the other F22s was insane, as Lozza's said already.
    Bonecrusher was cannon fodder, I get that. But wow, nice effects on that scene!
    Ratchet had a feel of the Autobot 'Kup' more so than any other version of him we've seen. I squirmed at the pheremones thing. His fighting was awesome though.
    Ironhide...good. Liked him a lot. Rocket Jump from Quake for the win! Rememebr, the Autobots learnt human via the Net. Hence them using quotes and slang so much. Which justifies Jazz's personality. Interesting that Jazz was the only one who questioned Prime when Bumblebee was captured. I wonder if he's younger than Ironhide/Ratchet/Bumblebee? Jazz's death was a blink-and-you-miss-it thing, where Devastator and Blackout's ends were more meaningful to me. We're meant to be more emotionally involved with the Autobots. Jazz went down heroically, too, but it wasn't like the death of Wash, or Harry (SM3).

The primitive transformers the Allspark made was an interesting turn of events. Hostile, not comprehending much around them as they had no higher understanding without a protoform...which leads me to another gripe, but one I knew I would have to tolerate in a Bay/Hollywood movie: Product Placement. I'm a GM/Holden fan, so seeing the Autobots as GM vehicles (GMC/Pontiac/Hummer/Chevvy) was fine. Even the Caddy Sector 7 vehicles. But Mountian Dew, X-Box, Nokia and the rest...sigh. But that's the way these things are.

The toy of the tank in this movie is called Brawl. Much of the merchandise even calls him Brawl. In the movie, the subtitle says Devastator when h

12. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I'm sorry, I just loved every minute of this film ;)

13. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001

I agree:D

14. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Well I agree that you agree :p

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    really quite good in many ways

16. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    A very interesting and in-depth discussion with ILM on how they did the effects. Sounds like they really went above and beyond on this one.

17. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Just saw it again and enjoyed it even more the second time. I spent more time looking at the pretties this time as I was further back in the cinema and could see the whole screen. First screening from 2nd front row made me somewhat dizzy.

GOOD FUN MOVIE, with a pretty good story.

I might even buy this one just to watch when my brain needs fun and a bit of a rest.

And I wasn't even planning on seeing it the first time. COol fun.

18. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Dust has settled.

Great effects. Good action. Good voice acting (Prime and Megatron especially).
    Poor script. Poor acting. Poor adaption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.