main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Apparently this particular ship is a thousand years old according to the droid professor. It may have even served in the New Sith Wars....just think about that.

2. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Howdy Fleet Junkies! Been a long-time, and I mean LONG-TIME lurker on the boards, have read every page of this and the previous topic over the yrs. Do not have much to add, as I am no "expert" as a lot of you are, but am a huge fan of the navies in the GFFA.

Anyway, look forward to reading 450 more pages of this thread, and maybe contributing something now and then.

Here's a question. Which starships do you most want to see in the ST that exist in the EU? And which ones would not bother you if they never made an appearance?

As for what I want to see....ECLIPSE! May be a long shot though.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    *points at sig*

Do you really need to ask? :p

4. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I would love if some of the NR/GA designs seen in post-ROTJ art actually make cameos in the movies. The Nebula and Endurance in particular would be good visual cues to the Imperial/Republic eras of the previous films. Yes, I'm biased due to the 3D models.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Welcome, boomx2sjk! We are always excited to add mother Fleet Junkie to our ranks! It is always fun when long time lurkers join, cause they are already aware of some of the topics we have discussed before.

Regarding your question about what EU starship design I would most want to see in the Sequel Trilogy, for me it would be both the MC80B Star Cruiser and the E-wing. Both vessels are iconic and would look awesome alongside all of our favorite Original Trilogy vessels.

--Adm. Nick

6. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Yeah, we didn't get to see the Victory-class in the Prequels; here's hoping they will appear in ST.

I would also love to see Nym's Havoc. But that's never going to happen.

7. boomx2sjk

Nov 9, 2012
    in Saturday's TCW, Huyang says something along the lines of "I have been assigned to this ship for a thousand years", referring to the new class of ship we saw last week. So it is definitely an older ship/class.

8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It's at least 1,000 years old, with the episode trivia section hinting at even older: "The design of the Crucible stems from ancient Corellian cruisers seen in Star Wars: The Old Republic videogame. As an indicator to its age, its interior space is marked by the ancient Jedi symbol seen in that game."

9. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Evidently the OJO had a thing for ancient training ships :p

10. boomx2sjk

Nov 9, 2012
    Another group of ships I would not mind seeing in the ST....uglies! Something about that X-TIE is sexy! :D

11. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    I haven't finished SWTOR: Annihilation yet, but there are some technical details given early on:

The Ascendant Spear is greater than a mile in length, which is good news, I guess. There are also 14 other warships large enough in the Imperial Navy that they require their own special encryption devices on board. Now so far the Harrower-class isn't mentioned specifically, but one Dreadnought is described as being 800 meters long, very disappointing. Then a ship that sounds like the Republic Valor-class, called a D-class attack cruiser, comes in at a very tiny at 500 meters.

I sure wish capital ship sizes were made fairly consistent across all of the SW eras, or at least show some sort of logical progression in size, with at least a good number of ships coming in around and over 1,600 meters instead of just having them largely regulated to the Imperial Era.

12. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The XS freighter was given a length of 88 meters and width of 101 meters. Since it makes a run on a Harrower in the Return trailer, much like the Millennium Falcon did, with much the same relative size difference, I'd say this implies the Harrower-class at least, is longer than a mile. There's multiple dreadnought models in the Sith Empire, the BSX-5 and the Harrower. Someone on Wookieepedia equated the two, but didn't include a reference, of course. Nice to hear the Spear was larger, as well.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  13. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah I have tried that argument on wookieepedia in regards to the BSX-5, but I didn't win. From the mentions of unique dreadnoughts for important members of the Sith or Moff's, and the fact there looks to be at least a few variants of the Harrower, I think there are other larger ships in the Imperial fleet. I am no expert at scaling, but from just walking and flying around them in game, it does seem that the Harrower is a good deal larger.

From the descriptions of the Valor-class in various SWTOR materials, the size given seems really off, especially with respect to it to the given length of Terminus-class destroyer.

14. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Is there anywhere in the book where the classes are ID'd as the known designs, by name? I suspect they just guessed on everything.

15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I didn't buy the book (I'm not wasting money on this author), but off-hand I don't think there were any specific class names, not like Harrower or Valor. When the Sith villain was looking at capital ships she used terms like c-class or d-class for the capital ships, I think, which is just... odd, considering c-class referred to a Republic capital ship (the Valor, from the description) and the d-class was one of the Sith Star Destroyer rip-offs. Which... isn't really consistent with anything else.

If it had been something early like Fatal Alliance, vague names are understandable, but by now, especially after the TOR Encyclopedia, they should have plenty of names. Otherwise mostly just generic Sith Dreadnoughts (forget which spelling), Republic capital ships, etc. The Ascendant Spear is noted as very fast, powerful and advanced, with everything amplified when Karrid plugs directly in to control the ship. Though she usually needs the support of several apprentices to augment her power as well.

Thunderclaps and Interceptors (the Trooper and Sith class ships I think) are also present at most fleet battles, acting as... fighters? Usually it was presented as one or a few big ships, a few medium ships, and then the Thunderclaps and Interceptors mixing it up, which seems a bit odd rather than the normal fighters, but guess they can serve in that role, although their codex entries make them sound more like elite ships rather than mass produced.

And same as in the Book of Sith, seems like Hammerheads are still in service, they're one of the few ships to be referenced by name several times. Usually it seemed like the order of battle was a capital ship, then a Hammerhead, a corvette (CR-12 was mentioned at least once) and then the Thunderclaps. Although a fleet was still quite outgunned by the Ascendant Spear. Dreadnought seems to be used to just describe the Sith capital ships in general.

One of the things I didn't mind about KotOR was that even their Star Destroyer equivalent was somewhat small, appropriate for an earlier era, same with the difference between the Venator and Imperator (well, at least before TCW wrecks more continuity). But TOR's atmosphere is slightly different in that there is a lot of mad science going on, so ship sizes might be irrelevant, like how Mekhis built quite a few superweapons using a weaker version of the Star Forge.

16. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    Nope, all are just assumptions that they are one in the same. They only go as far as describing the D-class Republic cruiser as something that looks like a Valor-class and the same goes for the alternate Thranta-class name. None of them are ever explicitly mentioned by name. Its quite weird. Other than that one battle also features three Republic "capital ships".

A very wise decision

I don't mind seeing some sort of progression in size of these warships, but its just that Star Wars does such a terrible job at it, especially considering the time scales involved and the technology not changing a whole lot.

17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Plus, the Republic already created larger pre-Star Destroyers with the Centurion, the TOTJ command ships, etc. I guess design trends change a lot over the centuries.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How big was the Centurion anyway?

Harrower-class Sith Dreadnoughts seem to be the "mainstay" ships- maybe larger ships before them, were always command ships rather than line ones?

19. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    1,200 meters offically, though if memory serves me right I thought there was an earlier reference that implied it was larger, more like a mile and a half

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    [quote="AdmiralNick22, post: 50166458, member: 877694
    Regarding your question about what EU starship design I would most want to see in the Sequel Trilogy, for me it would be both the MC80B Star Cruiser and the E-wing.[/quote]

Forgive me for intruding, Admiral; but (from a purely tactical POV) I would have thought that there wasn't much that an E-Wing can do that an X-Wing can't - and with better firepower.

21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Forgive me for intruding, Admiral; but (from a purely tactical POV) I would have thought that there wasn't much that an E-Wing can do that an X-Wing can't - and with better firepower.[/quote]

Oh, I fully agree on that. My reason for wanting to see the E-wing is purely based on looks. I think it captures the feel of the Original Trilogy while also feeling new & unique. As for the MC80B cruiser, it is both awesome in appearance and a very well designed and tough warship.

--Adm. Nick

22. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Agree on that 100%!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    TIE Defenders and Pellaeon-class Star Destroyers, both are so purty.

Btw, are we to assume the Gilad Pellaeon is an SSD? It seemingly survived several baradium strikes and was referenced in Apocalypse...

24. King of Alsakan

Nov 25, 2007
    I would think from its description that it is bigger/more powerful than an Imperial-class, especially considering it took multiple baradium strikes to take it down. I don't think its anywhere near the size of a Executor, but I would hope its at least a Star Cruiser or Star Battlecruiser, and even better a brand new class of warship.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I've seen complaints about "WEG minimalism" with respect to the notion that the Imperial Star Destroyer was, during A New Hope, the most formidable ship in the fleet besides the Death Star.

Here, appears to be where WEG got the idea:

STAR WARS: OFFICIAL POSTER MONTHLY #7
    Published April 1978

http://theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post6-03.jpg

"Heavy cruiser of the Imperial starfleet. Heavily fortified, bristling with armament. Backbone of the Empire's security forces, can outgun all other vessels except Death Star."