main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series For Discussion of Old TCW episodes...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CT-867-5309, Nov 19, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a couple of days late on this one, but based on what I've observed regarding our political system, it could happen with few if any repercussions if the "reasoning" was believable. "No funding," "there is a more efficient way to do this," "we don't want the backlash from interfering in local affairs," etc. I could especially see it happening with a Senator from the party opposing the President.

The Trade Federation and the Separatists have always seemed like a grotesque caricature of our actual political system to me. Monsanto and Goldman Sachs may not have an actual Senate box but if the companies funnel millions of dollars into politicians' campaigns, there isn't much difference.

2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So I have been going through TCW the past few weeks doing a rewatch. Watched the Nightsisters trilogy from Season 3 today. One big error I noticed and which wasn't resolved: Anakin and Obi-Wan have their lightsabers taken from them when they go to speak to Mother Talzin. They then run out of the room after finding out where Opress is without their lightsabers on their belts or having got them back... And then in the next scene when they fight Opress, they have them! Quite a big error I thought but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying those episodes! Just something I noticed!

3. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Not the first time that has happened in TCW: in "The Gungan General" Obi-Wan's lightsaber also magically appears when he and Anakin take Hondo hostage despite the fact that he arrived without it. It's been a while since I last saw the episode but they likely retrieved their lightsabers on the way out of Talzin's home or maybe the witches that took them had placed them on board the ship...

4. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That was another one I noticed to!

Two more animation mistakes too: In A Necessary Bond at the end in the ship, one second Obi-Wan's lightsaber is on his belt, the next it isn't, and there it is again. They really do seem to forget lightsabers especially since he uses it seconds later! And there was another animation mistake in A Sunny Place in the Void, where they forgot to animate one of the droids into the frame despite the fact it was clearly there a second ago, and then it appears again.

5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The same thing happens in the movies. Or at least in ROTS. The production team must take "How to Lose Your Lightsaber 101" by Anakin and Ahsoka.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    In "Carnage of Krell" Both Five's blaster pistols are missing from his holsters when he is show patting his holster after Dogma 'borrowed' his left one.

7. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It is an animation mistake but the moment is important and people usually do not notice them.

I like to pretend that Dogma ate one of the pistols and shot Krell with the other.

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've watched that scene to many times not to notice occasionally. Its not a big deal obviously.

9. zodiac brave

zodiac brave Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2012
    i dont have cable so i buy the season sets once they come out. im behind, as i havent bought s4 or seen any of s5, so this tread is great! so, from what i understand, the last couple seasons have taken a dive in quality, huh? hmm...gotta catch up! but anyway, season 1 is AWESOME! def my fave so far...

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Happens all the time in movies and tv shows

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It does... there is even a nice web site where such bloopers are noted. it is quite awesome!

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Grievous Intrigue

I think the best episode of Season 2, and indeed the show, Grievous Intrigue is a great example of how to do multiple things:
    • Show the Clone Wars (something later seasons seem to have forgotten how to do)
    • Display Grievous as rightly competent, as a tactician and as a fighter
    • Introduce new ships and characters - Koth, Gallia, Grievous' modified flagship etc.
    • Create intriguing multi-faceted battles
    • Actually funny humour (see: the Tactical droid)
    However, the decision to not kill Eeth Koth in this episode (or in its follow up) really erked me, especially given Filoni's comment that he looked too cool to kill and the later abandonment of the character. Furthermore, this presented yet another Grievous vs. Kenobi duel - which shouldn't even happen before RotS - yet the exciting albeit Gallia vs. Grievous duel makes up for this repetition.
    10/10

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Ok. Myself and Dark Lord Tarkas have decided to rewatch TCW following syndication order and review the episodes as we go threw them. Last night we watched "Cat and Mouse", "The Hidden Enemy", and "The Clone Wars Movie" to start off.

Cat and Mouse
    This episode has some of the best space action in all the series. It does a great job painting Anakin as a cunning and capable leader. It was a nice touch to go back and show the moment where Anakin first works with Yularen. There are some nice gungho vs by the book tactician contrasting going on. Its also cool to hear clones like Spark speak of their adoration of Anakin. Neat to hear the dialog that no ship so small has a cloaking device for the OT's sake. The end foreshadowing the Empire and the future for both Anakin and Yularen is also well done. The main detractor is Trench. His clicking when he talks is annoying and the thing with him having a logo is ridiculous. He is not our favorite villain. 7/10

The Hidden Enemy
    This episode is still awesome. The battle droids are at there best when they are silent. They are so much more menacing here than in most other appearances. It makes the battle at the start feel very brutal. The unraveling of the spy among brothers plots with the clones is well done. The interrogation scene has some funny innuendo. Chopper remains a stand out character and we would like to see him reused. Anakin and Obi-wan have their great moments here as well. Obi-wan's dry humor plays well in alot of the episode. Ventress's outfit in this episode is way oversexualized and the flirtatious dialog comes off as stupid. It was great to see the force actually put to use here with the throwing of the books. Lots of questions are first opened up here about the clone army at the end. We'll give it 10/10 again.

The Clone Wars Movie
    We had a special guest, my Uncle Paul joined us for his first viewing of the movie. The first 3 quarters of the movie are actually entertaining. Ahsoka's introduction is ofcourse abrupt. The movie none the less contains war that rivals "Landing at Point Rain" in terms of action and brutality. Its fitting introduction to the show. The dynamic between Anakin and Ahsoka with the goofy nicknames gets more and more annoying each time I watch. Ahsoka has really toned down sense then. I feel to the point she is boring, Tarkas likes her better this way. Obi-wan is also has some great moments as a sagely Jedi. Ventress is a cool villainess. Seerow likes Rex's introduction as the series badass. Still the plot is a little lacking, simple, and loose. Padme crisis power was completely unneeded. All she did was get herself captured. Dooku doesn't do much more than just sound evil. The ending is very abrupt. 6/10

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The arc of C&M, THE, and the first 1/4 of the film makes for a better solid story than the movie IMO, but I'm very anti-Ziro.

Uncle Paul! [face_laugh]

Seerow and cwustudent like this.
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    -fist bump.- We've create a new fan.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Maybe we should have the whole community watch the movie and have both discussion and grading threads?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I like that idea.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Am i the only one who loves every episode with Satine in it?

pronker likes this.
  19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    IMO, the movie deserves better than a 6/10. More like a 8/10. Some of the antics between "Stinky" and Ahsoka were a bit much and too cutesy.
    However, it's in the movie that Ahsoka first asks Anakin about his past on Tatooine and he shuts her down fast: this is a key moment in their relationship.
    I'd also say that the banter between them is more akin to Han and Leia banter. You thinks she's annoying in the movie, but since she has currently toned it down, now you think she's boring. You're not giving her much leeway either way.
    The battles were well done. I really like the Octuptarra droids.
    Ventress is a great villainess and played exceptionally well by Nika Futterman. Obi-Wan was typically suave and unflappable.
    And for 2008, the visuals and graphics (while not up to Pixar quality for the time) were very well done.

20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I watched Corruption and The Academy today. Yeah, I like Satine a lot, and I liked how she treated Korkie (another character I liked).

pronker likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Random thoughts on the movie:

--I didn't find Ahsoka annoying other than her use of the word "Skyguy." I did, however, find it hilarious that Anakin found her so annoying. And yes, I believe her character has developed for the worse over the course of the series. She was much more fun here and in the first two seasons.
    --Yoda's reasoning for giving her to Anakin as a Padawan raised red flags in my mind regarding how Anakin and Ahsoka's relationship might end, because giving Anakin another person to whom to get attached, in order to teach him not to get attached, is just ridiculously bass-ackwards. The only way Anakin wasn't going to get attached is to grow a different personality.
    --The conversation between Anakin and Ahsoka on Tatooine. Ahsoka was of course naive, thinking that Anakin would be glad to go "home," and Anakin shut her down with good reason. The novelization for the movie goes into more detail about how much guilt he feels over the Tusken slaughter. "Old sins cast long shadows" is a great line, however.
    --Cooperating with a Hutt in order to get access to Hutt-owned hyperspace lanes. Just another reminder of how disgusted I am by the ass-kissing involved in politics.
    --Ventress is one of few villains that I've ever liked. Loved her here.
    --Ah, Padme, Padme, thinking that any scumbag can be swayed by a "diplomatic solution." She managed to get herself into a mess, but to her credit it did eventually work. And I enjoyed the eye-sex that she and Anakin exchanged across the hologram. I wish we had seen them together even for one scene though; we got more in the microseries with her waving goodbye in the window.

Seerow, rumblewagon and CT-867-5309 like this.
  22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    "Old sins cast long shadows": One of my favorite quotes. And it's a quote by Ahsoka who is actually quoting Yoda. I'll have to check out that novelization as well.
    I have to disagree with your analysis of the attachment thing however. There's really no way for Anakin to learn how to let someone go unless he first becomes attached to someone. He was attached to his mother and did not learn how to release that attachment. I'm not sure if Anakin is attached to Obi-Wan. Yoda is unaware of Anakin's attachment to Padme. So, from Yoda's perspective, (in my opinion anyhow) he is observing Anakin not learning how to let someone go. Thus, in giving him a padawan (to whom he will likely get attached), he can then learn how to let that person go.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think Yoda does know about Anakin's attachment to both Obi-Wan and Padme. Obi-Wan is obvious (he's like my father!), imo. When Obi-Wan and Anakin are arguing about Padme on the gunship, Yoda is listening and is concerned. Also, Obi-Wan knows about Padme, Anakin told him about his obsession with her on the elevator.

So I think Yoda already knows of two attachments Anakin has, so why not just separate Anakin and Obi-Wan? If they're worried about Anakin's attachment issues, why are they keeping them together?

Giving Anakin an attachment is like giving a crack addict a big ol pile of crack. It's a recipe for disaster, the Council is really playing with fire here.

24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Clearly two people, Yoda and Obi-Wan, are aware that Anakin has serious attachment issues. Obi-Wan knows about Padme (a relationship), but not the extent (marriage). Yoda knew about the slaughter, I'm positive, and he saw Padme fly into Anakin's arms arm on Geonosis. Do you think Yoda is trying to make the best of an awkward situation? And trying to spare Senator Amidala's reputation. If the Council formally addresses the situation, then they are obligated to put an end to their relationship and separate Padme and Anakin. And if they do that (on the show), Anakin would surely choose Padme, right?

Edit: CT, are we on the same page or what?!

CT-867-5309 and Seerow like this.
  25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It would be fun to open a chatroom and have a viewing party at some point. The TCW movie would be a good candidate for such a viewing party. We could do a rewatch with grading thread over the break for it. Sound idea.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.