main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Forum reforms: Seeking input!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by NaboosPrincess, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wish it were possible to look at my first RP posts here. :(

2. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    Looking at the oldest posts you have should have much the same effect :p Now, back on topic.

Bi-weekly updates may be a little too much to expect considering some people aren't around much during the week. Bi-Monthly perhaps? I imagine it'll be something for the overseers of the Adoptions program to monitor and otherwise keep track of. Progress reports would definitely be nice though :)

3. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I believe beginning a second forum for Non-Star Wars RPGs would be a wise idea to invest in. Having all the RPGs together whether Star Wars or Non-Star Wars threads draw attention away from the Star Wars RPGs, and since there has been an uprise in interest in Non-Star Wars threads, I am sure it has sort of "cluttered" the RPF.

I believe it would in the best interest for the RPF if we created another Forum for Non-Star Wars RPGs.

~Spacelady

4. nsper7

nsper7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 24, 2004
    Also, it might be nice to have a thread for "RPG Requests/Suggestions". One thing, as a person who has made several bombed RPGs, is it is very difficult to guage what the RPing community wants. Also, since a lot of people don't have the time (between school, work, etc.) to make and run an RPG, it would allow them to perhaps give ideas to those who have the time.

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    nsper: We have one already ;)

Updates on adopter/adoptee progress might work. Although what happens when, as an example, the coordinator, or whoever recieves the report, thinks that it is not good? What would/could be done about it?

Just fleshing it out. ;)

I'd also agree that bi-monthly would be better than having too many more. Having to do one so often would be more of a burden than a help. Plus, adoptions often last for quite a few months, so it would still work out well.

6. goblin_fire

goblin_fire Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2005
    The progress report is a great idea, though I think weekly or even bi-monthly would be hard on the adopter, especially if they have a busy schedule and are involved in several RPs at the same time along with training an adoptee and having to report how their partnership is doing. So what about just monthly? Say like a certain day (1st or 15th or end)?

7. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    It will depend on the adopter, and, of course, those who will be [are] running that thread. It's another piece of support for the benefit of having a formal 'council' in place to put forth such motions.

The primary item of interest is that some form of progress report or update is made. If there is no such report then those running the thread will have some indication as to a need for action. They will be better prepared to intervene and make arrangements for the future. More active adoptees might be placed under the care of active counter parts, and vice versa.

I would imagine that most of the suggestions put forth by the RPF's members thus far will form the basis and foundation for the council's opening efforts. It seems likely that further ideas, just as these that have been presented, will also be sent to the council for consideration and possible implementation.

8. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Indeed. There are many things that have forth as fine ideas. I too, like the idea of regular reports. Bi-weekly may be difficult, not just from the stand-point of the Adopter that finds themself taxed for time, but for the adoption as a whole. For example, for the amount of time that it takes in between reports for the players to get together. Sometime, the adoptees are not very enthusiastic but feel that it is necessary for them to join the program.

I don't know, my fellow players, the more I dwell on this the more I am liking the idea of bi-weekly. It may actually encourage progress. Their being a sort of deadline to tell everyone how things are going in the adoption. This may encourage the adopter to work hard and the adoptee to work to increase their skill. In the long run, this may also shorten the program.

I do understand that there is currently a rule that each adopter may only take on one adoptee. Though in principle this does seem fine, for then the adopter can put more work into their protege of sorts, there are still those many that are looking for adoptions honestly. Perhaps a new limit on the amount of adoptees per adopter gauged to their sucess. If the adopter has led one RPFer through the program, in the next adoption he/she may take on two adoptees. Of course, as there is progression, a limit should be placed so that one's willingness to help does not become over-extended to the point of negligence.

9. Zandoran_Celix

Zandoran_Celix Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Not sure if you all are still on this discussion of the Non Star Wars RPGs in seperate forum, but I just wanted to say I think thats a great idea.

10. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    There is one way of handling these 'reports'. Among some of the groups on the JCC is the Lightside of the Force. Essentially it's a group that has developed their own website with various tasks that newer members perform. Simple tasks that teach the members the importance of following TOS rules, getting them out into the community, etc.

The tasks range, but it's an idea that could be modified to suit the RPF. A simple selection of RP based tasks for each newbie to perform then report on. Other then that, I just don't like the idea of reports in general since, and if we're going based upon the relationship of masters and their adopted newbie, the ways in which they are brought up differ in each case.

11. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    When working with my adoptees I do a thing sort of like that. In the manner of PMs we work on character sheets, the game structures, the keys to good RPing and then progress to their working in thread with minor critiqeing and discussion afterword. It's a matter of process when the groundwork is laid. We go over tasks like, for example the Character Sheet. (This is the brief version mind you.)

I assign them a blank Character Sheet within a setting that they've already expressed interest in. The reason being because for any player to write successfully, they must know their character in and out so that a constant person is presented. A very living, breathing, thinking individual is before us. I assign this character sheet which when completed we talk about. I ask a few questions about why this, what about that (regarding a scar on the left cheek - how did he get it. Was it his fault? Personality - how will he face basic situations). Then we progress to a fictioal assignment where the adoptee must post via PM to me this new character in the response to a situation I devise. (i.e. the character that just returned from a mission, had sludge dumped on him, only to find out the mission was a dud. How would your character respond? Give me thoughts, pictures, etc.)

In this way, we can critique together in an open environment at the adoptee's pace. Eventually, sharing a few posts via PM between a few characters (my controling and his) Teaching tags, responses to posts, etc.

Then, turn the tables and let him come up with an idea, craft a storyline for me to work in. Post over a bit so that he can work on proper GMing.

As you say, though, there are different modes of teaching for each person. Perhaps the reports could simply be to present the fact of what has been worked on, where, and things still to work on, and problems they encountered. This would make it easier for those adoptees that enter the program and don't hand around.

12. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    In my case, I don't push my ideas or style upon them. Any adoptees I have, I let them ask the questions and get an idea of their writing style. My current adoptee has a lot of talent for such a young age. The best tips I can give is on grammar and context.

Perhaps another idea is to have them write down exactly what they want to learn. Some may be skilled in writing, but not RP's. Others may have issues with developing characters. During signups, they could write down what they are looking for, what they wish to work on, which gives the Oldbies a better idea of what to do ... or indeed, who to pair them with.

13. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    I like that idea. This would make it easier. You're right that it shouldn't be forcing our own ideas on them. That's why the adoption is so nice, because it is learning from both directions. You from them and them from you.

What about the Adoptions RPG? Will that be starting up again? That was a nice way to keep the players together in a environment where everyone was feeling their feet. There are levels of growth. As you say, some people already have a lot of skills, but merely need the RPing basics such as the correct way to state in character and out of character posts.

14. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'd love to do that again, if given the chance. I was dissapointed in myself when I let it slide, though for reasons I won't go into here (personal).

It would be developed differently, of course ... but in the end I don't know if it would be needed. Depends on what others think. I still say an RP based just for newer players to find some common ground is a good plan.

15. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Speaking of what the Council is planning (I have no idea if we're even talking about that)

What happened with nominations/elections? The thread kinda dissappeared (Wow...it is really late here. You know what i mean right?).

16. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Nominations are over, they were open a week, and the week ended yesterday. There will be a further announcement regarding the Council sometime this week.

17. Kalio_Dynkos

May 17, 2004
    It was nice to have the RPG there for the newer players. I don't like the idea of something that they have to go into, but that wouldn't be that bad if it was an interesting game. I know plenty of other RPG sites that require a training process before even your first post in the game.

This is a deterrent, though. But, again, the blessing of the Adoptions is that even though there are pairings, it's a shared learning experience and seeing all your fellow adoption pairs in there working on things, seeing how they are presenting things - it gives the adoptee to pick and choose. "Wow I like that. Let me try kinda thing." Everybody develops their own style, their own voice and that's what makes this place great. It's just a matter of refining that so that learning goes in the right direction. I think that's basicall what the whole adoption process does. It's sort of like what school is supposed to do, open your mind so that you continue to learn past the years you are there.

18. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    That's exactly right. I'm always learning new things from fellow players, and I'm glad of that. To pass that on to new players is, in a way, a good feeling. Being able to teach them and show them what they can do when they put their minds to it. I've seen so many great young writers since joining here. It's an honor to be able to teach them.

19. goblin_fire

goblin_fire Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2005

I actually liked those ideas. Because it helps the newcomer to get a feel for preparing a character and getting used to the character enough to play them naturally. Though I would say, individual style is a bonus and makes the forum interesting. However, teaching a newcomer those kind of skills and basics already helps to create a better RPer and Game creator. IMO.

20. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Hmmm, I like the idea of the reports, it would provide good information to the runners of the adoption program as to how the adopters/adoptees are doing, and make the adopters try harder to do the best they can to train their adoptee. Though, I agree with the people who think bi-weekly is too much. If you are involved in a couple RPs, and have a busy RL schedule, then there may not be time to work on reports that often. I am thinking a report due on the 1st of the month, and 15th of the month would suffice. And, if someone is going to be unable to do it, they can just say they do not have the time.

Why don't we devise a series of tasks for each adopter to pick a select few and give them to their adoptee. Sort of like how the SSA, DLC and other groups are run? (Kartanym, if you were trying to say that, I apologize for repeating it). There are many possible tasks that we could use to help give the adoptees more knowledgeable with writing and such.

When I think of more ideas, I will post them. :)

EDIT: Also, I have to say that the Nominations process seemed to go very well. :)

21. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    A minor issue, but I'm wondering about it. Is it possible to get [strike]strikethrough[/strike] html for the board? It's a minor change, but it's useful for editing, and whenever you're not really feeling serious.

22. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Hmm... we also could use more smilies. Like Vader smilies or something.

Though I think these are somewhat out of your domain

23. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    That would have to be a board-wide change and you'd have to talk to the admins about that. I'm a little more concerned with issues concerning this specific forum at the moment.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you need to use something like other boards use for a strikethrough, just make it in a different font color or something. It accomplishes vaguely the same thing.

25. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Darth_Attorney's name is Striken-Through (Yeah, I have no idea if that is a word) How'd that happen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.