main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

From a Certain Point of View - Obi-Wan Discussion Thread - Evil Obi Challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kestella, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kestella

Kestella Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2006
    Hello there! Welcome to the Obi-Wan discussion thread. As with the old thread this is the place to discuss all things Obi ? the good, the bad and the (not so) ugly! :)

Firstly, a big thank you to obi_ew for the great job she did with the previous Obi thread.
    It can be found here

And so on to business!

Our mission is...to provide a sanctuary to those who wish to discuss, read, write and enjoy the Master that is Kenobi.

[image=http://www.paid-to-smile.net/starworld/pics/aotc7.jpg]

Every two weeks or so we will be throwing out a topic for us all to discuss. Everyone?s opinions and POV are welcome ? but play nice! It?s fine to disagree with someone, but please be considerate of others when responding to a post.

Each month (or so) we hope to bring you an ?Obi-Challenge?. Basically we give you a topic or idea and you get to write an Obi centred fic based on it. The challenge fics can take place in any era and be of any genre. Please post them on the new Obi Challenge Thread which can be found here . There is also more info about challenges in the first post of that thread.

Advertising policy: Please keep in mind that this thread is an advertising-free zone. Links to off-site stories are against the TOS and FAQ. Furthermore, please don't post links to any stories at TFN or post your stories in this thread. If someone requests a link from you send it through PM.

Important Note on posting pictures: Whilst we can understand your enthusiasm with all things Obi and apprectiate all those gorgeous pictures, we'd like to ask everyone to note that pictures posted on this thread must be kept down to 3 every 25 posts (about one per page) - not only does this avoid cluttering up the thread, but it is also a courtesy towards ppl using dial up as too many pictures slow things down considerably for them.

If you do find you've a picture to share (and please don't stop sharing them!)you could always post a link to the source of the pictures so people can choose whether to view them or not. Thank you.

Current topics/challenges:

New Discussion Topic: New Discussion! Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon...Master and apprentice...so many fics on the boards have Obi and Qui at the centre of them (and we thank you ;) )...What makes this pairing so wonderful to write and read about?

New Challenge: Evil Obi Challenge ...

Your mission is to write an ?evil Obi? fic ? this doesn?t necessarily mean ?Sith? - there are other ways of being evil. Be creative! Your fic must include at least 3 of the following quotes...

1. In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
    2. I have a bad feeling about this.
    3. Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.
    4. You know I don't like it when you do that.
    5. This weapon is your life.
    6. Not to worry. We're still flying half a ship.
    7. How uncivilized.

That's it!

Please remember to post your fics in the Challenge Thread .

06/10 - It's come to our attention that some of you would prefer to post your challenge fics outside of the challenge thread. This is perfectly fine. We'd ask however that if you do this please place a link to your fic in the challenge thread so we know where to find it (makes it easier for us to index as well).

There is also an Obi-Wan Challenge Index ? in resource that has links to all the old challenge entries.

The new challenge entries will be indexed here -Fan Fiction Master Challenge Index

This thread is cared for by Kestrel_Kenobi and Stella_Ripple. Please PM one of us (or our sock Kestella) if

2. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
  3. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    I just wanted to add that I know some of you guys were in the midst of discussing some obi ideas/thoughts on the old thread. Please feel free to continue that discussion here!

:)

4. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Delightful thread! May I ask what the current discussion is?

5. Kestella

Feb 4, 2006
    Hi Z!

Good to see you here.

Current topic up for discussion is Obi's attachments and relationships (see first post for details)...

And 7 noms - way to go girl! =D=

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
  7. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    That index is for the old challenge thread that I just locked. I'm sure Kestrel and Stella will want to sart their own. :)

8. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    ardavenport - No, that is run by someone else. I have no idea who! You may want to contact one of the mods to find out. We will be running this thread and the challenge thread in Saga which can be found here.

Edit: Ok, from now on we will be indexing the Obi Challenge stories in this thread. Hope that clears things up!

9. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I just wanted to welcome this new discussion thread to the boards, and to praise Kestrella for their fantastic choice in the first photo of Obi-Wan to grace the topic. ;)

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Aside from personal attachments as you listed above, the ROTS book talks about emotions as attachments. Letting go of grief and anger and possessiveness is easy enough to say but how many humans can do that and remain human - especially grief when someone they like/love/admire has died. So they join the Force... it doesn't mean that they won't be missed. I think that Obi-Wan was actually a very emotional, passionate person that had to learn to be the ideal Jedi and try to let go of his attachments. But in the book, he was constantly reminding himself to let them go which indicates to me that he didn't really let them go at all. His grief for Qui-Gon, his begging Yoda not to have to kill Anakin, his realization that they were pretty much the last of an entire group of beings - all were attachments that Yoda insisted Obi-Wan let go and yet he couldn't. Even when he realized that he would be talking with Qui-Gon again, he had an attachment; his face lit up in momentary joy at the news; sounds like he never gave up his attachment to his old Master.

And, then of course, the Jedi's attachment to their lightsabers and all the jokes that go with it in the movies.

11. Pyxelle

Pyxelle Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Bad, bad, bad....

Or not...

GOOD challenge! The 'bad' comes from the fact that a little plot-bunny with a lightsaber just hopped up beside and waved its ears at me slowly...

"You WILL write this challenge..."

...sigh. My other challenge fic I'm doing? Totally gotten out of control. Seriously. Majorly. I cannot stress how out of control that bunny got.

...I hope Knight Obunny-wan Kenobi doesn't do so, too...I can't have three epics going...I can't...

*Pyxelle sighs and realizes that when it comes to the mind tricks of Jedi Plot Bunnies...especially Obunny-wan...she is very weak minded.*

Looking forward to reading these, though! Obi-attachments...fun...

Pyxelle

12. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I don't think "attachment" is a problem for Obi-Wan. Certainly not like Anakin who had serious attachment issues.

Obi-Wan would form bonds with people; that's his emotional side. I don't think that is forbidden by the Code at all. If the Jedi didn't form bonds, they'd all be hermits (I wanted to use that in my last fic, but it wouldn't fit, so I'll sneak it in here). Masters and Padawans, Jedi clan-mates, comrades, etc. They have relationships, even close ones. But when the time comes and someone moves on, dies, or whatever, they keep the fond memories but let it go. However, "letting go" does not mean they stop caring! They just recognize that some things will go and new things will come.

"Attachments" I think are the clinging bonds, the kind of bonds where the act of maintaining the attachment turns it into something unhealthy. Obi-Wan was heart-broken about losing Qui-Gon, but his world didn't end there. Obi-Wan didn't cling to Qui-Gon, but he never stopped loving him either. And in a metaphysical sense, I suppose Qui-Gon was the one who clung to Obi-Wan; I don't know what that means.

And about those Jedi losing their lightsabers...well, technically they're not supposed to have any possessions either, but they still have their lightsabers. Interesting that they keep losing them.

13. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Darn! I missed the grand opening! *pouts* But its great to see everyone already flocking here :)

Just thought I'd mention the challenge thread is now up and running with its very first response [face_dancing] courtesy of the super speedy Kidan!

Oh yes, you'll notice we have reserved a post under the first post- we thought it would be handy to keep a list of useful obi sites (not pics please- those make for great pressies on the thread, though!) If you think you've got one- please pm a link to our sock, and we'll put it up there! :D

14. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    I'd never thought about the attachments to lightsabers before - interesting!

And a much needed attachment as the line 'this weapon is your life' sums up.

Also there's the fact that Obi held on to Anakin's lightsaber all those years and then passed it on to Luke...

Mmmm...lots to ponder!

15. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Oooh!! Obi has a new home! :D
    *starts sweeping out the corners and pulling out the boxed up dishes*

What an interesting topic! Too bad I don't have time to think about it right now. :( English speech...tomorrow... I'll be back after school tomorrow though; I promise! I can't leave my Obi clone alone for that long; he gets lonely... 8-}

One quick thing before I go: And in a metaphysical sense, I suppose Qui-Gon was the one who clung to Obi-Wan; I don't know what that means.

:confused: You lost me, ardavenport. (I think my brain's still fried from chem class.) What do you mean exactly?

16. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Well since we now know that Obi-Wan spent his exile on Tatooine with Qui-Gon teaching him how to become one with the Force, metaphysically speaking, Qui-Gon was 'clinging' to Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon always was a rule-breaker.[face_mischief]

17. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Well since we now know that Obi-Wan spent his exile on Tatooine with Qui-Gon teaching him how to become one with the Force, metaphysically speaking, Qui-Gon was 'clinging' to Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon always was a rule-breaker.

Ah, I see what you mean now. :) Yes, I agree that Qui-Gon may have been 'clinging' in a way, but it was also his duty to teach Obi-Wan how to retain his consciousness after death. Obi-Wan was the only Jedi alive besides Yoda, which is the main reason why Qui-Gon taught him. However, I'm sure Qui-Gon didn't hesitate at the opportunity. ;)

I was just thinking about Qui-Gon's death, and how he didn't even say goodbye to Obi-Wan but instead finished out his duties by arranging for the training of Anakin. If you took just that, it would seem that Qui-Gon put his Jedi duty before attachment, which is what the Jedi taught. But his hand brushing Obi-Wan's cheek blantantly undermines that view.

Hmm...I thought I was going to work on my speech... [face_blush] Okay, no more distractions!

18. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    looks like you did a fine job in here kes and stella! i'll be looking forward to visiting and responding to a few of your challenges!
    as for my view on his attachments, i pretty much agree with ardavenport. obi had an emotional side, but he didn't have any attachments that went as far as the Code forbidding them.
    i think that it is something he struggled with though. because emotion can lead to attachment quite easily.

19. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Actually all the Jedi had extreme attachments.

While they eschewed emotional attachments they were attached to just about everything else.

Especially their worldview of Jedi = good, Sith = evil. Even though often in the movies the battles between Jedi and Sith are initiated by Jedi.

Watch how Obi deals with Anakin. Any deviance to a strict interpretation of the Jedi Code meets harsh criticism. The subtle irony in the statement "Only the Sith deal in absolutes!"

All the Jedi are intrinsically attached to the Jedi, the Republic, tradition and basically anything that affirmed their world view.

This attachment is what allowed Palpatine to decimate the Jedi. This is what Yoda is talking about when he declares that he failed.

The problem is that they were attached to the wrong things. The emotional attachments, the familial attachments, the attachments to neighbors, these are needed to remind them just what it means to be human per se. Otherwise they are nothing more than automaton, lording over those without the force.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Stopping in to say hello to the new Obi-Wan Kenobi Discussion thread. I didn't post as often as I should have in the other, but who can resist reading what others have to say of such a noble and good looking Jedi Knight. :D :D And I'm sure because it's late and I'm slightly tired the first topic of discussion and cahllenge left me giggling. [face_blush] [face_laugh]

21. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
  22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was a good one. Lots of detail.

23. MASTER_KAYM

MASTER_KAYM Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    Cool! :) I'll go there next time I need information

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Sep 26, 2005
    Leona - ;) Guess who came up with the title [face_whistling] !

I thought I was the only one to find it amusing! :D

Edit: Thanks for the link QuentinGeorge. If anyone else has any links to add please PM us and we'll add them to the second post. :)

25. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Look even Obi's joining in the fun :D
    [image=http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/attachments/ewan_20050223.gif]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.