main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Galactic empire and non-human species

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Many star wars fans claim, usually using the expanded universe as a source, that the galactic empire and the sith was speciest, meaning, they treated the non-humans in the galaxy, the alien species (like wookies or the mon calamari), harshly, enslaving them or wiping out their species.

Is this canon? Is it a part of the movies? I always thought the movies only were canon, which is what George Lucas confirmed. Is this in the story of the movies? I don't remember Palpatine, anakin, padme, or any of the jedi or rebel alliance mentioning it.

2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Considering the Empire is pretty much an analogue for Nazi Germany, it was pretty much implied.
    For instance the officer in Cell block AA23 referred to Chewbacca with disgust as a 'thing'.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    All Star Wars contents is canon.

And as Yunners mentioned, it's pretty implied, especially in Return Of The Jedi. You could give a hand-wave to ANH and TESB as the f/x budget was stretched pretty thin for those two, but they clearly set the Alliance up in ROTJ as having lots of alien members, and the Empire as having none.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    In the star wars galaxy, people definitely had a low view of the alien species. Chewbacca was called a thing, leia didn't award him a medal, the empire didn't hire any non-humans, their army was mostly if not 100% human. But none of the 6 movies indicated any large scale oppression or destruction of wookies, ewoks, or other species, that I remember.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novelization, however, Chewie did get a medal as well.

Not sure why Lucas changed it. Maybe the novel was written based on a slightly early script- before cuts and a few changes were put in?

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It is. Blue Squadron vs. Red Squadron, etc.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Well, the wookies were invaded by the empire in episode 3.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Strictly they were invaded by the Confederacy, and the Republic troops were there to rescue them.

Then the Republic turned into the Empire while the troops were still there. But as I recall, the troops left afterward.

In the EU, in Dark Lord (set in the immediate aftermath of RoTS) when a group of Jedi is found on Kashyyyk (the Wookiee planet)- Tarkin & the Emperor attack it, take many Wookiees away to become slaves working on the Death Star, and burned some of the Wookiee cities.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The Wookies were not slaves that the empire forced to work on the death star. I don't remember that being in the movies.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Very little is in the movies- they're only about a couple of hours long each, after all.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    True. We didn't get to see the Empire and the sith doing their evil stuff in ruling the galaxy, it was mostly just implied.

Also, what is canon and what is not?

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Wookieepedia goes into detail on this.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

G-Canon- movies, novelizations and radio plays (if content in the other two originates with Lucas- which is difficult to determine sometimes)
    T-Canon- The Clone Wars movie and TV series
    C-Canon- novels, games, comics, and so forth
    S-Canon- Marvel Star Wars and a few other things
    N-Canon- not canonical at all (Star Wars Infinities comics- Tag & Bink comic, some from the Star Wars Tales magazine that are specifically called out)

All are true except N-Canon- but where there's a direct contradiction, G canon comes first, then T-canon, then C-canon, then S-canon, as a general rule.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    George Lucas said that only the movies are canon. Here's a quote from Wookiepedia and George Lucas

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's a rather old quote though. Leland Chee's role as an employee of LFL was specifically to keep track of this kind of thing, and minimize contradictions.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, that Lucas quote pretty clearly doesn't apply within his company. That he owns. And he's also made plenty of suggestions and outright story alterations for EU material, and put plenty of EU material into his films and TCW before and since then.

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Here's why the expanded universe and claims of galactic empire/sith speciesm are not true. Another quote from George Lucas.

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    None of that says anything about the validity, or lack of, of those particular EU sources- only that Lucas doesn't like the post-RoTJ EU and doesn't include it in his "headcanon".

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    George Lucas says that those post return of the Jedi stories are a different canon, a parallel universe I guess. They are not a part of the movie canon. It's kind of like the Amazing Spiderman reboot with andrew garfield. It's a different story, with the same characters.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Okay? It's hilarious that the Emperor being cloned is George's idea, then. :D

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The emperor clones are a different storyline than the Star wars movies. Like the spiderman different comic series and movie reboots, they have the same world and characters, told in different stories.

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No they're not. You can choose to believe that if you want, but official continuity says they're all the same, and you are not any more official than anyone else here. Now, if you're not actually interested in getting an answer to your question and continuing to insist that we're all wrong because you don't like the EU, I'll be locking this thread.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've always thought this too...I assumed it was just due to Sidious' apparent prejudice against non-humans, and then implementing that into the army and officers' ranks. Judging by ROTS, he apparently had no love for droids, either.

I haven't read it yet, but does the book "Darth Plagueis" go into this at all??

BTW, I was wondering if anyone can help me: I have been looking for a clip of the scene with the Emperor's shuttle exiting the star destroyer for his arrival at the Death Star in ROTJ, right after we see Luke fly off for Dagobah. (It's only on the original and possibly special edition VHS versions-cut from the DVD/blu rays.) I've looked EVERYWHERE for this. Could someone please help me by either giving me a link, or telling me where I can view that eliminated sequence??? (I posted this here cos I thought it silly to start a thread just for this...)

??? :confused:

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Plagueis shows that his father Cosinga Palpatine was strongly prejudiced against aliens- Palpatine may have gotten a bit of that.

Tarkin's "Humans are the future" speech in Rogue Planet is an example of how there was an undercurrent of it in him, well before the start of the Empire.

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    But, how does not having any aliens in the imperial army mean they discriminated against them? Even if that was true , was there any large-scale oppression?

25. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    You mean other then enslaving worlds like Kashyyyk and Mon Calamari?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.