main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Wow. I expected to lose and I wondered if it'd be close.

2. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Why? They won't actually go.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry guys. It didn't quite happen. I'll get them posted tonight.

4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    :(

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    From the Key Arena, in Seattle, Washington ...

We Talkin' Bout Practice 118, Game...Blouses 105

Allen Iverson got his team off to a great start in a game they had to win to keep realistic hopes of advancing alive. Kevin Garnet turned in a game for the ages to make sure they did.

Iverson scored 13 points in the first quarter, on his way to 23 for the game. Kobe Bryant added in another 23, but it was KG who had his fingerprints all over the game. Garnet poured in 16 points, pulled down 15 rebounds, and dished out 9 assists.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had 11 points and 13 rebounds, and Reggie Miller scored 13 points in only ten minutes off the bench in a losing effort for the Blouses.

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    From the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington ...

Midland City Gutless Wonders 109, Bruce willis 107

We'd hoped for the best game of the tournament when these two juggernauts got together.

It's arguable we got it.

Steve Nash had a look from five-feet at the buzzer to send it into overtime, but his shot went long, and the Gutless Wonders took a big step towards the semifinals.

Trailing by 13 points entering the 4th quarter, Bruce willis had a furious rally that came up just short.

At the 7 minute mark, Bruce willis had come all the way back ,tying the game at 92. A Steve Nash three just missed that would have given them the lead, and after Elvin Hayes put the Gutless Wonders back up by 5, it looked like momentum might leave Bruce willis to Die Hard.

But the fight wasn't over just yet.

Some good defense had Bruce wilis Moonlighting as a team that could win this game, surging ahead 98-97 and 100-98. When Dirk Nowitzki buried a three to put them ahead 103-100, it seemed Bruce willis had not only found their fifth gear, but also their sixth sense. But, it wasn't meant to be for Bruce willis, as Midland City didn't find free throws to be among The Expendables, and when Wilt hit his two, and Dwyane Wade split his, the clank from Nash's shot sealed the fate.

Wilt Chamberlain took player of the game honors, pouring in 27 points, grabbing 15 rebounds, and blocking four shots. Chris Paul added 17 points and 7 assists, and Elvin Hayes had 14 points and 9 rebounds.

Tracy McGrady was the leader for Bruce willis, scoring 34. David Robinson added 21 and 12.

Full Play-by-Play

Box Score:

[​IMG]

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sorry for not the best recaps there. Work is still kicking my ass up and down.

Standings

Alley Division

Sahara Heatwave 3-0 (+45)
    Honey Nut Cheerios 2-1 (+13)
    L.A. Courtsiders (1-2) (-24)
    Blue Screen of Death 0-3 (-34)

Oop Division

Midland City Gutless Wonders 3-0 (+33)
    Bruce Willis 2-1 (+33)
    We Talkin' Bout Practice? 1-2 (-38)
    Game...Blouses 0-3 (-28)

Next set of games:

Blue Screen of Death @ Honey Nut Cheerios
    L.A. Courtsiders @ Sahara Heatwave

Midland City Gutless Wonders @ We Talkin' Bout Practice?
    Game...Blouses @ Bruce Willis

You know the drill by now ...

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    We were definitely outplayed here. That must have been one heck of a halftime speech.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow, good game ef. switching things up just a little...

pg: steve nash (32 minutes), russell westbrook (10 minutes), lebron james (6 minutes)
    sg: tracy mcgrady (39 minutes), george gervin (9 minutes)
    sf: lebron james (34 minutes), (carmelo anthony 14 minutes)
    pf: shawn kemp (26 minutes) dirk nowitski (22 minutes), amare stoudemire (0 minutes)
    c: david robinson (38 minutes), artis gilmore (10 minutes), (yao ming 0 minutes)

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Those recaps were great, DI. Still wish the score would be at the bottom for suspense tho. So now I have to play these guys again? Hopefully didn't use up all my points...

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll stick with my same lineup. Good to see we protected the lead, even though Shaq disappeared again..looks like he spent the game in foul trouble.

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Gutless Wonders(3-0)Team stats through 3 games
    • FG%: 49.4 3P%: 42.8 FT%: 67.1 REB: 158 AST: 106 TP: 335
    Leaders
    • Rebounds: Wilt Chamberlain: 46; Elvin Hayes: 22
    • Assists: Chris Paul: 24; Dwyane Wade: 23
    • Blocks: Wilt Chamberlain: 9; Elvin Hayes: 5
    • Steals: Chris Paul: 6; Wilt Chamberlain: 4
    Despite playing for 90 minutes, Larry Bird has made just 13 baskets(of 29)--the same amount as Alex English(of 23) who has just 65 minutes.
    The two small forwards are also tied in assists and steals, although Bird leads in rebounds and blocks.

Am I the only one tracking my team's stats? I wanted to track the whole league but I don't have excel and inputting data isn't exactly my idea of a good time. Oh well, I guess we'll never know who the league leaders are.

13. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Slight adjustment to the times this week.

Gutless Wonders depth chart
    PG #1 - Chris Paul ('08-'09) (32 min) / PG #2 - Lafayette Lever ('88-'89) (8 min) / PG #3 - Kevin Johnson ('88-'89) (8 min)
    SG #1 - Dwyane Wade ('08-'09) (38 min) / SG #2 - Clyde Drexler ('88-'89) (10 min) SG #3 - Ray Allen ('00-'01) (0 min)
    SF #1- Larry Bird ('84-'85) (28 min) / SF #2 - Alex English ('82-'83) (20 min)
    PF #1- Chris Webber ('00-'01) (24 min) / PF #2 - Elvin Hayes ('70-'71) (24 min)
    C #1- Wilt Chamberlain ('61-'62) (48 min) / C #2 - Alonzo Mourning ('99-'00) (0 min)

14. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    my suggestion was for this was why not make it more like a real NBA season, and have every team play each other at least once (maybe twice), and then same conference playing each other double whatever they play the other conference. would probably give a more solid sample size as to what teams should be winning, etc.

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I had something similar. Instead of playing the opponent once, turn it into a three game series(this, I feel, eliminates some of the randomness and is more true to the players' statistical averages). This should be easy, considering it's just a few more clicks of the mouse each time. The schedule would then be changed to two three game series against each team in your conference, and one four game series against one team from the other conference(splitting home and away), bringing the total number of games to twenty-two. It's really only adding one more match to set up, as the individual series can be simulated back to back without having to change anything. It does extend the season by one series, but that's still only seven series as opposed to six games.

This also assumes that we would be sticking to just 8 teams--I feel like 10 or 12 would be much more competitive, but I understand that I'm not the one putting in the work of going back and forth changing team rosters every time I want to simulate matches because the site only allows for three teams at a time. Although, next time--if you're willing to do a next time, Inty--I'd be happy to help with that. Maybe we could each take a conference or something and split the interconference games or something like that.

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    At the rate I'm going I might as well sell my team to Michael Jordan and Bob Johnson.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd be down for that.

What I was going for here was more of a FIBA World Championships feel, as opposed to the league approach.

Also, I contemplated if 8 was the right number. I settled on it because of a few reasons. FIrst and foremost, I didn't want to bog down the draft with delays in sign-ups, and a longer draft period. Adding 2 more GMs adds 24 more selections. Adding four adds 48 more selections. That could add weeks, and maybe a month, to the drafting process. I thought the most important thing was to get the draft done and have a succesful game. Especially as a reboot.

The other thing was that 8 broke out pretty fairly. Easy to set up a double round-robin. Easy to say "the top half" get to the knockout stage. At 12 teams if we go to a knockout stage, we're probably taking the top four from each division. Which spends a lot of time not eliminating a lot of people. We could still go with top 2 from each, though, I suppose.

Anyways, for sure - open to making it larger/longer next time (That's what she said).

Also, open to future NBA drafts being "Themed" drafts. Something like "Rookie Years Only" or designating a decade to each round, or a team to each round and you can only pick from that team or that decade during that round.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    that would be interesting...

i'm not sure what i think about the team one though. if you have 12 people in it, i'm not sure that some teams even have 12 people worth drafting.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    That's the fun of it!

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    name 12 golden state warriors that are worth drafting. i dare you.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    rick barry, tim hardaway, chris webber, mitch richmond, chris mullin, ralph sampson, robert parish, sleepy floyd, baron davis, monta ellis, steph curry, gilbert arenas.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I think 8 people is fine, cuts down on time, and we've got some nicely powered teams here.

23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Same here on the 8-team league. But I'm all for more games.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    well, i know there were two more people that wanted in... so there is that. me and prenn.

25. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Man, worked through my break at work so just getting back. Guess I still have time to put my team in. Were yall waiting for little old me?