main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena I'm Not Wearing Hockey Pads! (NHL Discussion, Stadium Series Season!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodave27, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Yesssssssssssss Go Blackhawks!

Frank T. and Darthkat76 like this.
  2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I love this! That is so fun to see the fandom out there on the ice.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  5. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    HELL YEAH, SUCK IT, FLYERS!!!! (I was laughing so hard when the ref signaled "no goal")

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I always have to work for the good games. Man I bet it was awesome watching the Flyers get pounded. Sorry Myke.

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You wanna see a good game? Watch a Western conf. game.:p

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Ugh...NHLPA has approved the proposed realignment. Frankly, I still hate it.

9. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    It's long over due.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    What's more long overdue is moving teams like Phoenix and maybe the Florida teams before even talking about realignment.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  11. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not the job of the league.

12. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It is when the league owns Phoenix.

13. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    And there's been no buyer. So they probably aren't gonna move anytime soon.

I'm of the opinion that the league should not own any teams. So I think they should just have 29 teams.

14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    contract that bitch!

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I agree, the NHL should absolutely not own a team. But since they do, their #1 priority should be to sell it. If there are no buyers willing to keep the team in Phoenix it seems obvious they need to be moved. And that means the proposed realignment could be mucked up even more if they somehow go east. Yeah Seattle or Portland get tossed around but what if they wind up in Kansas City or they become the 2nd Toronto team? It will require another realignment.

Regardless of the Phoenix situation, I'm against any realignment that can't have equal division/conference sizes. If they insist on using 4 they should add two teams or subtract two teams. This non-specific "wild card" solution doesn't work for me. Half the league shouldn't be playing by different rules than the other half.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  16. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Well, within days of its debut - and immediate comments concerning Yoda's apparently red lightsaber (I think it was meant to be orange-ish) and "not so green" hue (I think it was meant to suggest Yoda was bathed in orange light, but whatever) - Bryzgalov's STAR WARS themed mask got changed, so Yoda looks more like his classic self. Interesting article on WHY that happened!

http://www.the700level.com/hockey-p...-Repainted-Yoda-on-Ilya-Bryzga?blockID=833551

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, the first period was certainly lovely. I am actually glad the Pens made it a game. I don't want either team to just fall apart in these matches. It's the best rivalry in the sport. To have one team clearly steamroll the other every single game would take away from that.

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Chris Kunitz has to be the most improved player of the year in the NHL. He's been awesome this year.

Guinastasia likes this.
  20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Board of Governors has approved realignment

The Stanley Cup Playoffs will still consist of 16 teams, eight in each conference, but it will be division-based and a wild-card system has been added as a new wrinkle.

The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the lowest number of points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the Conference Championship series.

The two divisional champions in each conference will then play in the conference finals to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

Still trying to wrap my head around this.

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002

So being first in your division could potentially mean MORE travel time than the 2nd and 3rd place teams because you might be playing a wild card team from a different division. For example: If Chicago wins their conference and LA is the lower wild-card then Chicago, as a reward for winning the most, will have to fly cross country while their division rivals who have a worse record enjoy staying in their own time zone. Yeah they'll have home ice but still...
    Am I understanding this correctly?

22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Why is that so shocking? What if the #1 Thunder played the #8 Lakers in the first round while the #2 Spurs got to play #7 Houston? This happens all the time when you have home/away series.

23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It's shocking because improving team travel was one of the things that the realignment is supposed to fix. If you're going to go with divisional playoffs you shouldn't be potentially punishing the #1 team with extra travel. But it seems to be a requirement of the wild card system. Which is required because of the uneven division sizes. Which is an idea I'm against in the first place.

Meh. I'm a creature of habit and I don't like change so I'm disinclined to like it in the first place. Probably how I stay sane during the Sharks annual playoff implosions. :p

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I thought this minimalist approach to the team logos was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

25. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm mostly a fan of the realignment due to the Patrick division setup--I live near DC and am a pretty big Flyers fan. They will come to me more often!