main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gary Kurtz's thoughts on TPM and other SW related topics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by hawk, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I still find it interesting how much he has it in for the Indiana Jones movies. He actually spent more time whining about them then he did TPM or the SE. He must have a bad case of Spielberg-envy.

2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I think these comments are interesting (non-TPM):

No, no. After Star Wars, he didn't really want to direct the others. I think he was unhappy that I ? I'm the one that recommended Kershner, and had worked with him before. I think he was a good choice for Empire, I think he worked really well, but he wasn't the kind of director... George, I think, had in the back of his mind that the director was a sort of stand-in ? that he could phone him up every night and tell him what to do and kind of direct vicariously over the telephone. That never happened. Kershner's not that kind of director, and even when George showed up a couple of times on the set, he found that it wasn't easy to maneuver Kershner into doing what he would have done.

3. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Kurtz and Lucas need each other. I can honestly say both their careers have gone down the pan since they split up. Lucas hasn't made a decent production since 1983 (bar Indy 3). Kurtz disapeared from film making. So let's hope they get back together and we can end this senseless conflict!

Durwood: No! I'm flaming Kurtz Now.

Continues with a barrage of senseless insults.

4. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Good work Hawk! :)

5. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Hawk, those Kurtz comments seem speculative and mean-spirited. I think he just needs to keep his mouth shut as far as Lucas is concerned since he has to qualify his comments as mere opinion but he still tries to come across as "in the know." Instead of criticizing Lucas so harshly, Kurtz should be thanking Lucas for the fact that he even has a career worth speaking of.

6. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Mean-spirited and harsh? What exactly did you read in that extract exactly? Kurtz's comments are simply his opinion and he is definately not having a go at anyone. He doesn't bash anything. I've hear much worse on this censored site.

7. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Give it up, Durwood. How long can you keep turning your nose up at everything we say? you can't keep pretending these problems don't exist, month after month, year after year.

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Kurtz is cool. He wouldn't know what's best for SW, but I think he is basically a decent guy.

9. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Kurtz is cool. He wouldn't know what's best for SW, but I think he is basically a decent guy.

Apparently neither does Lucas. ;)

10. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Give it up, Durwood. How long can you keep turning your nose up at everything we say? you can't keep pretending these problems don't exist, month after month, year after year.

In other words, "Waaah! Stop disagreeing with our opinions! Waaah!" You don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen. ;)

11. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Speaking of Gary Kurtz and his unemployment streak, Jake Lloyd hasn't done a thing either. His stunning Episode I performance didn't exactly open doors I guess.

But we'll always have Jingle All the Way.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Does anyone know if Larry Kasdan made any comments about the prequels?

I haven't seen anything from him in terms of interviews in quite a while, did the Insider ever interview him?

g

13. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I wish some of these bashers would do more than piss and moan. It's been awhile since I'd had a decent discussion with someone of an opposite opinion to me on this board. All I hear is "Lucas sucks and that's a fact"

They are really just broken records that do not supply the opportunities for intelligent debate or conversation. If you took offense to this then you were probably one of the people I am talking about.

You whiners get a life. You can't convince us and we can't convince you so give up the moaning and groaning already..geez. It's just the same thing repeated over and over. Most of you should just write your standard response on Notepad and post it as your response to every post.

Kurtz has his opinion but it doesn't make the basher stance more valid in any way. It's just someone elses opinion.

14. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    What you said can apply to both sides you know. How many times do we hear a simple statement like "Gary Kurtz is all sour grapes"? How much intelligent conversation can come from that?

15. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Go-Mer,

Kurtz is lucky he got the mention he did. I think in the end, while he did contribute, he was more of a liability for the series than a positive influence.

Does anyone else think he looked like a goat in '77?

Still deny your original comments? A "sorry, I did say that hawk. My mistake" wouldn't go astray...

sdj,

You are out of line. I'll be contacting Quix if you continue to flame other members.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I guess I did say it. Must have been the sauce talking.

Sorry.

Still doesn't mean I don't respect the guy.

17. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    No problem but if calling a guy a goat is "respect" then...

18. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Good thing the thread police are here, now all is safe and the citizens can sleep soundly.

19. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Nice fellow.

20. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I have a question I would like you to answer. Why should I care what Gary Kurtz thinks of Episode I and why do you have an unhealthy obsession talking about him for and praising him all the time? :confused:

21. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Why should you care what anyone thinks? You read the opinions of other people on these boards all the time. At least this guy worked with Lucas. I find him interesting as his opinion reflects what I think went wrong with the saga. I hardly think that is unhealthy although sdj would probably agree with you.

22. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    sdj, Durwood typed something I find kind of useful in this situation:

In other words, "Waaah! Stop disagreeing with our opinions! Waaah!" You don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen. ;)

23. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Gary Kurtz is my hero for producing that wonderful sequel "Return to Oz".

*cough* [face_plain]

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I just finished reading the interview and I have to say I don't see where there's any hostility or anything else directed at Lucas by Mr. Kurtz. If anything, he handles what little criticism he offers of Lucas with kid gloves.

They parted on a mutual agreement. Gary Kurtz didn't like the creative direction George was taking with ROTJ, as he (Kurtz) felt it would not be a creative challenge, but more or less a rehash of ANH, with the second Death Star, etc.

As for his comments on Lucas' directing abilities, he does say that this is because of Lucas' background as a documentary film-maker where he (Lucas) was used to doing the entire project himself and was not used to 'holding hands' so to speak, with the other people involved, especially actors.

It's also quite understandable that the actors would want to know that they were doing their jobs. I have a favorite saying, a quote from Mark Twain, "I could live for two weeks on one compliment." I think that's true for most of us. Who doesn't do a better job if your boss says "You're doing a great job, keep it up," every once in awhile?

I didn't find that harsh or hostile or anything other than a mere statement of facts as Gary Kurtz saw them. He worked with Lucas on several projects, you'd think he'd get to know the man and how he worked pretty well.

Lady Sami

25. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    No, no. After Star Wars, he didn't really want to direct the others. I think he was unhappy that I ? I'm the one that recommended Kershner, and had worked with him before. I think he was a good choice for Empire, I think he worked really well, but he wasn't the kind of director... George, I think, had in the back of his mind that the director was a sort of stand-in ? that he could phone him up every night and tell him what to do and kind of direct vicariously over the telephone. That never happened. Kershner's not that kind of director, and even when George showed up a couple of times on the set, he found that it wasn't easy to maneuver Kershner into doing what he would have done.

Good work hawk, on finding a quote that has absolutely nothing to do with TPM. I always love reading things that are off topic :)

So tell me again, how is this thread actually TPM-related? I mean, since in that interview, he speaks very little about the film. Just sounds like yet another thread where all the friends can gather to bash Lucas and to celebrate that someone actually agrees with their opinion.

Flame me as you will, but that's the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.