main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Geek Alert!!!!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Nightcrawler13, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightcrawler13

Nightcrawler13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    I don't know what you guys thought of this show but it was a fun sci fi TV series that never quite lived up to Star Wars or Star Trek.

Battlestar Galatica

I remember it somewhat but no particular episode stands out. Sci Fi has done good work with the movies they have been doing. Even series like Farscape are done better than some big screen movie productions. Anyway click the link and see if it brings back any memories.

2. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Oh Yes!! That is too cool!

I actually really liked that show - can't wait to see what they do with it - thanks for the update Nightcrawler13.

- By your command - ;)

Lisa

3. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    You know...I loved Battlestar Galactica as much as anyone (Gotta love that 'One
    Battlestar protectin' a Rag-Tag fleet stuff) but this group takes it a bit far for
    me!

<For those of you over 18 who are interested in sexy Battlestar Galactica stories
    post or read them at the following site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/galacticasex/>

You can't actually get to it without registering...but [face_laugh]

Can you imagine their faces as they read it [face_mischief] [face_devil] [face_blush] :_| :eek:

What in the heck is wrong with you people??

Kev

BTW Nightcrawler...I can't wait to see that!

4. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I used to race home after school to catch the show. :)

Richard Hatch was trying to get this to happen yet I don't see his name involved. Interresting.

:cool:

5. Setine

Setine Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    As acting regional chair for the battlestarfanclub.com, I can't stay quiet on this topic. What Moore is wanting to do to the show is unthinkable, he wants to take the show and "reimagine" it. Gone are the cylons no more roving eye and "by your command"s, gone are the vipers no more launch bay sceens. Instead he wants to make it a battle of the human conflict. The names will no longer resemble the original series either. Fans have been fighting for a continuation for a long time. But Ms Hammer at the Scifi channel and R. Moore are dead set against the fans...Ms Hammer was caught telling the fans off as well as R Moore.
    If you want more information on the battle and what is going on, visit the site above. You can join our chats and get the news when it comes out on the scifi chat board. I am uncertain if I can put that link on here??
    But Moore and Hammer don't want you to know the truth.
    Sorry couldn't pass up this thread.

Kristi

6. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Reading Moore's letter, he does come off as hyped but pretty arrogant in his ambitions for the upcoming mini-series.

Re-doing the Battlestar Galactica series doesn't necessitate turning it into "Six Feet Under in Space"

imo the every-character-is-tragically-flawed routine is way overdone. You can tell a good, challenging, and exciting story without every protagonist having to keep a cemetary full of skeletons in their closet.

That being said, I'm interested in catching the miniseries when it airs. We'll see if his promises of jumping on the flawed-characters bandwagon to make the material more relevant to today's audience actually results in a compelling program.

7. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    yeah, but what moore did with the last 3 seasons of deep space nine was fantastic.

8. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    Greetings fellow fans..

Although I have gotten use to Scifi Messin up every thing they happen to touch, I still look forward to everything they TRY to do. After all they Cancelled one of the greatest Scifi Series of All time. If SG1 goes I think I might have to go visit a office or 2. Where are they located...?? :D

Later

9. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Okay, they are changing stuff in BG, but saying no more Cylons and Vipers is simply inaccurate. I've been keeping up with this project since it started, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Ronald D. Moore is the main reason for the greatness that was Deep Space Nine, the greatest Star Trek show ever.

We've seen Richard Hatch at the shows, we've seen his crappy trailer for his proposed series. I really don't want to see a series with a bunch of fat, middle-aged actors trying to look like John Woo action stars. Plus, who can take him seriously after his tree incident?

People were screaming and crying about X-Men rumors before it came out. "Oh, you're taking away their costumes! It CAN'T be good without yellow spandex!!!!"

Sometimes changing things up and reimagining a concept is exactly what a franchise needs to survive. I think if they had gone with the Richard Hatch version, it would have made a few hardcore fans happy, and died out from lack of other interest fairly quickly.

However, I have faith in Ron Moore, and I will definitely give him a chance with BG.

"Don't be so eager to deal out death and judgement."

10. Setine

Setine Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2001
    I am not here to argue with you Brandon, but Moore *did* tell the fans that the cylons will be no longer but as humanoids and there was no need for vipers in his production. All I can say is go to the scifi boards and read all the way from summer 2002 in the archives. So is it inaccurate, no. I am just repeating what we have been told by Moore.

Everyone has their view on this, and I value each persons point of view. Just remember I am not here to argue or cause tension. I am just the other side of the coin in the fanbase. Just like there are fans in starwars that like the original series and hate the newer ones. They are out there. So please understand - its all good.

Kristi

11. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    I'm not arguing, we're debating. There's a big difference.

And Cylons, in whatever form, are still Cylons. And I don't think you have to worry about the 'moving light' on the helmets of the Cylons, considering during the teaser for the miniseries shown during Children of Dune, they were using the noise for it. I don't think they'd do that unless they intended to honor it in some way.

Now, will there be lots of changes? To be sure. But I have a feeling that when all is said and done, we're going to have something that is different, yet likely much better than the original show.

I just don't agree with the backlash that inevitably arises against a new project when it's said that it will deviate from the original. It needs to be updated and revamped because the original concept just will not hold up to current levels of sci-fi entertainment.

That being said, I enjoy the original BG. I've even read Richard Hatch's BG novels that have come out in the past few years. I eagerly await the upcoming box set that will have the first season on DVD. But a new series would have to compete with 20+ years of sci-fi development, and for it to have a chance, it's going to have to be rethought. And my problem with Richard Hatch's mindset is that he seems too fixated on the old concept, simply done with better effects. I just cannot see such a thing succeeding.

Now, this new one may suck beyond belief. But I definitely want to approach it with an open mind and with a fair degree of excitement, given Ron Moore's past work.

12. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    Just Like your open mind for Dune.... Which you pumped up to be better than the movie...

And well it sucked...

Children of dune was better than dune, but not by much more. I perfer Riverworld over it Ill tll you that much.

13. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Actually, I much preferred the miniseries of Dune to both the theatrical film and the book. I thought the miniseries actually made sense.

14. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    Made sense still sucked...

I still love you Branson :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.