main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC General D20 and Tabletop RPG Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by LightWarden, Mar 5, 2005.

1. ConcordDawn

ConcordDawn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Hmmm... This is an intriguing idea. I've considered making a d20-based RP here once, but I didn't know about that dice email program, so I thought GM distrust would be a big factor, especially "You're favoring him"-type squabbles. With a good plot and the right GM, this could be interesting. I may want to join.

As for type of campaign:

Era: Clone Wars would be my first choice, it has a lot of potential for great small-scale disputes (think Shatterpoint). Other than that, I'd take Galactic Civil War second. KoTOR and other early eras are alright, but there really isn't enough information about them to have a large, free-form RPG. I'm not too interested in New Republic or NJO.
    Side: Good guys, of course! Republic/Rebellion.
    Level Range: Start low, but hope this sticks around long enough to see the characters to high levels.
    Theme(s): Like I said, a Shatterpoint-esque regional Clone Wars dispute would be awesome. Also, I'd like to see a mix of fighting, diplomacy, and character development, not just let's-go-chug-some-ale-and-kill-some-orcs style.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone know what the heck is up with the banner and color scheme?

EDIT: Never mind, it's back. That was odd...

2. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I think I'll go post that Dice Roller in one of the sticky threads. Maybe a nice HOT PINK capital bolded font will make it stick out :p

3. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    Era: Though it's hard to choose between, I dislike both the Clone Wars and the Empire, so I suggest something like the New Jedi Order and the Yuuzhan Vong.
    Side:
    -If you go with the NJO: Good guys (not Yuuzhan Vong)
    -Anything else: Good, Bad, Neutral
    Level range: Start low. Level up. Make it like KOTOR so you get experience and level up.
    Theme: Like I said, if it's the NJO, maybe be part of the Imperial Remnant, or maybe Luke's Jedi, or even New Republic soldiers or mercs.

4. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Part III: In and Out of Combat

Out of combat, you can do all sorts of things, like socialize, use skills, items, abilities, and do pretty much anything you feel like, with a creative enough GM. Hack into the computer systems to steal top secret plans, attend a dignitary's dinner party, infiltrate a cell block to rescue a prisoner, hotwire a speeder, go for a joy ride, perform at a nightclub, convince some storm troopers that these aren't the droids their looking for, levitate an x-wing, the list goes on for a while.

You can come up with any action, and use dice rolls to resolve it.

However, occasionally, people come to a point where they disagree, words are said, blasters and weapons are pulled, and everyone gets ready to rumble. This is Combat, and while it doesn't mean you turn off your character's personality and start blasting, it does follow a few more specialized rules.

First off, in any combat, everything is determined by your ability to hit something, by making what's called an attack roll. This is done by rolling a d20, and then adding in your attack modifiers.

Your attack modifier is equal to your Base Attack Bonus (BAB, based on level) + your primary stat (STR for melee, DEX for range, although there are exceptions) modifer (The (Stat-10)/2 thing I mentioned before)+ anything else (Such as skill with weapon, quality of weapon, range, visibility, wind, and other things).

This attack roll is compared to the opponent's defense.

The defense of a character is equal to 10+Defense Bonus (from class levels)+ DEX modifier+ Other (Not as many things, but basically training, and your best friend in a firefight: cover. Cover is very good)

If you equal or beat the defense, you hit, and if you don't equal or beat the defense roll, it's a miss. In cases of guns and grenades, sometimes a miss can be pretty devastating, such as when you manage to hit an airlock or something equally vital (or amusingly explosive).

When you've hit something, you roll damage. Weapons (covered in the book) have a list of damage dice that you roll whenever you hit with them. These range from 1d2 for a Jawa's punch, to a whopping 8d6+6 from a thermal detonator. The result of the roll is used as damage.

All characters, items, and other things in the Star Wars Universe have a set number of points that represent how tough they are. In the case of living things, these points are called "Wound Points" and are equal to your character's Constitution score (not the modifier). When these are damaged, it means your body has taken physical damage, such as a burning bolt to the shoulder, or being ripped open by a wampa, or incinerated by a disruptor. Wound point damage is bad, as the pain can reduce you to an unconcious mess. And if your wound points hit the negatives, you're dying, and if they hit zero, you are DEAD. There is no resurrection in Star Wars.

But, you can defend against such things, if you're the hero, because, you're a hero! Heroes (not commoners) have things called Vitality points, which represent their ability to escape from an attack by just barely avoiding any serious injury. You might be bruised, singed, or otherwise spooked, but you're okay for the moment. Your Vitality is based on rolling the vitality dice given for the class you chose each time you gain a level, and adding it to your Vitality score. Thus, higher level characters can take more damage without actually taking damage. Think of it like a shield of luck and skill, it recharges over time, and prevents you from getting seriously damaged. Once they run out, your vitality points are wide open, and can be damaged by a successful attack.

Vitality returns at a rate of 1 per level per hour, or faster if you're sleeping or have unusually good recovery. Wound points are far harder to heal, usually requiring medical attention and serious rest, possibly bacta.

Of course, all the vitality in the world can't save you if someone just gets lucky. Any time anyone rolls a 20 with an attack, it's an automatic hit (a 1 is an automatic mis

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    LightWarden posted on 3/7/05 3:57pm
    There is no resurrection in Star Wars.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Not true! Not true! Transfer Essence! Clones! Palpatine resurrected himself multiple times! [face_tongue]

Course you have to be a Force-user or have a Force-user near plus a clone for your essence to be transfered too.

Species: Chiss
    Class: Soldier
    Anything distinguishing about the character (weapon, skills, habit, whatever, something I can use to build it)

Part of the Hand of Thrawn, flies a Clawcraft, obnoxiously cold, does what [i]he[/i] thinks is right even though others may think its wrong or it is wrong. Uh... Quite intelligent, strong and dextertious from training... uh... not likeable by even his fellow Chiss

How's that?

6. Long_Live_The_Rebels

Long_Live_The_Rebels Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    okay i was alittle off on that post above, i know 3.5 dnd and play it alot, i have dice etc.. but i dont have anything of starwars.

Era Rebellion
    Side Imperial
    Level range low-medium
    Theme(s) (optional)

please lets have one that every person playing is not a jedi!

7. 1baldwookie

1baldwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Your info has been a good refresher, now all we need is for this to get going! :p

8. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I'm going to post a walk through on building a sample character, then a short little test run of that character, maybe have him do a little target practice, skill use, etc. Just not today, I'm a bit busy at the moment. I'll have it up tomorrow, I believe.

In the meantime, try to come to a consensus about which region and side you'd most like to play. Maybe rank them, and I'll try to figure out a campaign that satisfies the most people.

Then, we can build some characters, while I get a starting plot up, and then see where this goes. Building might take a bit to get the bugs ironed out, since most of you haven't played, but I'm patient.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Eras Suggested
    Old Republic Era
    Rebellion Era
    Golden Age of the Sith
    Sith War
    Clone Wars
    New Jedi Order

Sides Suggested
    Bad Guys
    ---Sith
    ---Imperial

Neutral
    ---Mercs

Good Guys
    ---Republic
    ---Rebellion
    ---Imperial Remnant
    ---New Jedi Order
    ---Republic Soldiers

Level Ranges Suggested
    Low-Middle
    Low

Themes Suggested
    Balanced regional campaigns (esque-Shatterpoint)
    If NJO, play Imperial Remnant, Republic soldiers or mercs

Well there is a list of whats already been suggested. I recommend we work on deciding on an Era then decide which side. Since we all pretty much agreed on the Level Range to be either Low or Low-Middle, we probably dont need to work on that. Once we have an Era it'll be easier to decide on the rest of the stuff.

10. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    I've played numerous D20 games before (D20 Modern, Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars) So I know how most of this goes.

11. 1baldwookie

1baldwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Old Republic seems to be the favorite right now. As for sides I'm up for whatever, alot of other ppl have suggested Bad guys, but I dont mind taking them on as the lone hero! :D

12. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Okay kids, here's a tutorial on how to build a character for this game.

For now, we'll just pretend the class level is five or so, a good number.

The GM (myself) has just rolled the dice for this guy, rolling 4d6 and discarding the lowest score each time. The results are as follows:

16, 15, 14, 14, 13, 8

Nice rolling overall, no real lows, pretty good average. You have one bonus ability point once you hit level 4, so I'll add it in to the 15 to round it off to a 16

Abilities: 16, 16, 14, 14, 13, 8

Now, fitting it into the character sheet...

He said the chiss was intelligent, strong, and dexterous. I'm putting the scores from highest to low in that order, highest in Intelligence, next highest in strength, next in dexterity. Here's the ability scores (and modifiers, so you can get used to it):

Str- 16(+2), Dex-14(+2), Con 14(+2), Int 18(+4) (Chiss get a +2 bonus to their intelligence score, they're smart like that), Wis- 13(+1), Cha 8(-1) (he did say this guy was rather unlikable)

Alright, there's the Ability Array, the most basic part.

Now, since I said he was level five, and Commander said he was a soldier, I'll make him a level 5 soldier.

Class: Soldier 5

This determines his Vitality dice. You have a number of vitality dice equal to your class level (five, in his case), the vitality dice are determined by the class you take. In this case, he has 5d10 vitality. I don't like rolling for vitality, I just maximize the first die, and add 3/4s of the rest. So in his case, that's 10+7.5x4=40 VP. You also add a number of vitality points equal to your level x your Constitution modifier, or in his case, 5x(+2)= +10. 40+10= 50 VP

He has a number of wound points equal to his constitution, so 14 WP.

VP/WP: 50/14

Initiative is based on your Dexterity Modifier, in his case, it's +2, for now.

Initiative: +2

If you're a standard race, your base speed is 10 meters, it's how far you can move in one move action.

Speed: 10 meters

Your Defense is equal to 10+ your class defense bonus (+4 for a level 5 soldier, I believe, I don't have my books with me, I'll change it if I'm wrong) + your Dexterity Bonus (+2 in his case)= 10+4+2=16

Defense: 16

Your base attack bonus is based on level, in a soldier's case, it's equal to his level, +5

Base Attack: +5

Grapple is equal to your base attack + your strength modifier (+3 for him)+ size modifier (none)+ any feats (none)= +5+3=+8

Damage is based on weapons, I'll cover it once we pick equipment.

Special Attacks are any sorts of special attacks you might have. He doesn't do anything special in particular.

Special Qualities are anything special you do that isn't a special attack. Once again, nothing in particular, although some people like to write in their species traits.

Special Qualities: Chiss Traits

Saves are based on class levels, with the approriate modifier added on to them.

A level 5 soldier's base saves are +4/+2/+2 for Fortitude/Reflex/Will saving throws.

There are three different modifiers you add to saving throws
    Fortitude: Constitution (+2 for him)
    Reflex: Dexterity (+2 again)
    Will: Wisdom (+1)

Fort: +4 (soldier)+2(Constitution)= +6
    Reflex: +2 (soldier)+2(Dexterity)=+4
    Will: +2 (soldier)+1(Wisdom)= +3

Fort:+6, Ref:+4, Will:+3

As a standard player character, his space is 2m x 2m, and his reach is 2m

Face/Reach: 2mx2m, 2m

Force Points at the start of a game are equal to your character level. Non force users can't have more than 5.

Force Point: 5

Dark Side Points are earned by doing obviously evil things. I don't know what this guy has done, so he's got nothing at the moment. A number of Dark Side points greater than 0 but less than 1/2 your wisdom score means you're touched by the darkside, greater than 1/2 but less than your wisdom score means you're tainted by it, and greater than your wisdom score means you're consumed by it, making you one seriously bad dude.

Since Dark Side points can eventually put a serious drain on your physical health, eating you away if

13. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    So, anyone have any particular questions about the process? I know much of it relys on having the books, but do you guys have any questions about the rest of it?

Also, what period are we talking about when we say Old Republic? The farther we go from the trilogies, the more simplistic the technology becomes (at least, it should be, although there may have been almost no improvements in technology since KotOR...), and the less source material I have to work with.

14. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Old Republic or Early Empire (Clone Wars or Jedi Purge)
    Side: Good Guys
    Level Range: Low to Mid

I think that playing as a group of Jedi trying to escape purge could be quite interesting. More importantly... they would need a mission to prevent them from simply hiding.

15. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Okay, let me figure out who's on the list here of people who want to play...

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo
    Long_Live_The_Rebels
    Aragorn327
    Darth-Dispicable
    Imperial_Hammer
    LEBIS
    Darth-Zame43
    1baldwookie
    Zedd-Vega
    Evil_King_Wiggins
    Zandoran_Celix
    ConcordDawn
    Ton_G

Hmm... 13... that's a bit large for one RPG. Looks like we're going to have to decide this based on era, and who posts a follow-up indicating that they're still interested.

I also can open up spots for less center PC roles, people who they run into from time to time, much like Wedge, Lando, Talon Karrade, Booster, Corran, etc. Or, perhaps split things up into multiple squadrons, although I am unsure of my ability to run two RPGs by myself.

I don't want to turn this into a competition or bidding war of any kind, I'm just not entirely sure how I should break this down, I usually deal with 4 to eight, although I prefer around six.

16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Well I say Rebellion Era

17. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I'm up for any era as long as the Sith play a major role in it.

Evil.

18. Long_Live_The_Rebels

Long_Live_The_Rebels Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    I would go with mitth on this one, Rebellion Era

I have seen rpgs played with lots of Jedi running around, its just not any fun when you have them, they become too uber and abnoxious.

19. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    I'll second, or third, or whatever.... for Rebellion Era...

Those we good times....

20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    I agree with LLTR, Jedi and Sith have just gotten... old. I miss the good ol' Star Wars when it was just a smuggler, a wookiee, a farmboy, two droids and a princess. The regular, average, everday person of the galaxy fighting in what they believe is right and virtueous.

21. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Alright, Rebellion Era it is. That and the clone wars (for the endless army of disposable enemies that are fun to mow down) are my personal favorites, since they encompass a variety of different playing styles, Rebellion especially.

Alright, you start out level 5, if you're interested, PM me, and I'll send you your ability scores, or you can choose to spend from a 75 point pool (plus one more point for having a level 4 character, for a total of 76 points), where you buy points at a 1 for one basis. No score above 18 or below 3 without racial bonuses, no more than two scores below 8, lest I call "min-maxing", dumping one score in order to boost a more important one.

All classes are open, most species are as well, save for the ones that aren't from around here and have yet to show up, such as the Yuuzhan Vong.

If you want the species traits because you don't have a book, PM me, and I'll send them to you.

7000 starting credits, those with full noble levels get 10500, those with at least 3 noble levels get 8750 credits, those with at least one level of noble get 7700 credits. They're just richer that way, though I don't recommend you pick nobles just because you want more money. There are better ways to make a credit, such as earning it.

I do recommend you try to consult someone with a book when choosing feats, skills and equipment, since I'm extremely unlikely to copy such stuff and put it out on the web at the moment.

I will give a simple list of skills and feats, since I'm nice, which will help you get a general idea of what they do, even if you don't know specifics.

Skills:
    Appraise
    Astrogate
    Balance
    Bluff
    Climb
    Computer Use
    Craft (Pick an area, such as weapons, tools, droids, armor, starfighters, etc)
    Demolitions
    Diplomacy
    Disable Device
    Disguise
    Entertain
    Escape Artist
    Forgery
    Gamble
    Gather Information
    Handle Animal
    Hide
    Intimidate
    Jump
    Knowledge (Pick an area, such as history or something)
    Listen
    Move Silently
    Pilot
    Profession (Pick a service area, like bartender, or miner)
    Read/Write Language
    Repair
    Ride
    Search
    Sense Motive
    Sleight of Hand
    Speak Language
    Spot
    Survival
    Swim
    Treat Injury
    Tumble

Force Skills (Force Users only):
    Affect Mind
    Battlemind
    Drain Energy
    Empathy
    Enhance Abilities
    Enhance Senses
    Farseeing
    Force Defense
    Force Grip
    Force Lightning
    Force Stealth
    Force Strike
    Friendship
    Heal Another
    Heal Self
    Illusion
    See Force
    Telepathy

Feats (If something's in parentheses, it means that it's part of a chain, you have to have the first feat to get at the next few. If it seems to have the same thing, but with fancier adjectives, it's an upgrade chain, otherwise, it's just something that you have to have the basic feat for):

Skill Feats (Give +2 or more to a skill or set of skills)
    Acrobatic
    Alertness
    Animal Affinity
    Athletic
    Cautious
    Gearhead
    Headstrong
    Mimic
    Nimble
    Persuasive
    Rugged
    Sharp eyed
    Skill Emphasis
    Spacer
    Steady
    Stealthy
    Trick
    Trustworthy

Fighting Feats (Used for weapons, armor, etc):
    Ambidexterity
    Martial Arts (Improved Martial Arts, Advanced Martial Arts)
    Armor Proficiency (Light, Medium, Heavy, Powered)
    Blind Fight
    Combat Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack)
    Combat Reflexes
    Defensive Martial Arts
    Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack/Shot on the Run)
    Exotic Weapon Proficiency
    Improved Critical
    Improved Initiative
    Multishot
    Point Blank Shot (Precise Shot, Far Shot, Rapid Shot,
    Power Attack (Cleave, Great Cleave, Sunder)
    Quick Draw
    Two Weapon Fighting (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting)

Force Feats:
    Aware
    Burst of Speed
    Compassion
    Control
    Disappate Energy
    Focus
    Force Flight
    Force Mastery (High Force Mastery)
    Force Mind (Improved Force Mind, Knight Mind, Master Mind)
    Force Speed (Knight Speed, Master Speed)
    Force Whirlwind
    Lightsaber Defense (Knight Defense, Master Defense)
    Link
    Malevolent
    Mettle
    Rage
    Sense
    Weapon Finesse
    Weapon Focus (Weapon Specialization)
    Weapon Group Proficiency

Other Feats:

22. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Due to the number interested, maybe split it in half, with one Rebellion Era, and one earlier?

23. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Well, two RPGs might be a bit much to start with, I already run four more elsewhere on another Forum. I was thinking of first seeing what sorts of characters I get, and then seeing what people wanted to do with them, such as have them play a prominent part, or be supporting characters, or maybe split it into several divisions, although I might have to make several threads for that. Requires some thinking.

24. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    Bah, Rebellion... are we Imperials or Rebels?

25. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    I usually let your actions determine that, unless you feel compelled to be an officer, which can be not fun if you don't like losing control of your character.