main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas and the Mystery of the Treatment

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Corvus, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012

LOL!!!

That's what we're discussing in this thread. The "evolution" of the saga, (aka steady obsessive compulsive) changes to the narrative. Some may claim clarification and purification of raw stories. But when Ewoks start clicking eyeballs, I call it for what it is... OCD Storytelling. There is no other explanation.

I love George, but with the recent Bluray release, I'm fresh out of excuses. I'm no longer an apologist, nor optimist. for his "treatments".

Darth_Pevra, Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  2. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Yeah, especially after hearing Mark Hamill's thoughts (in his CEII chat, I posted that in the Big 3 Thread) about the weird changes that do nothing for the story, while more essential bits like Luke's introduction still lie on the cutting room floor. Though the ewok blinking is insignificant next to the abomination of Vader's new vocal redemption "NOOoooooOOOOOooooOOOOO!"

The Hellhammer and Dra--- like this.
  3. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Is there a transcript of this? I'd love to read it.

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

So, just to clarify, are you saying that George would have been crazy to imagine a story that included the netherworld of the force just because the film technology wasn't there to show it properly at the time?

He couldn't imagine the story and then wait 30-40 years before it gets done? Oh wait. :p

If I'm following you correctly, and my apologies if I'm not, then George Orwell was crazy to write Nineteen Eighty-Four way back in 1949? And A Journey To The Centre Of The Earth should never ever have been written in 1864? Flash Gordon serials should never have been made in 1920's, cuz let's face it, they look fake as hell?

Not trying to be snarky, just looking for a clear understanding of what you mean. :)

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Not a transcript, but a youtube link...and watching it is even better, because of him doing his Han impersonation...

6. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    ha ha! really?! Man, I'll have to watch that after work! I think I found it on the Big 3 thread. Thanks for the reply.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It means "take care" or "be careful". :D

8. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Ahh, sokka. Arigatou.

eht13 likes this.
  9. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

I disagree with Hamill on Luke's introduction. I like it much more the way he's introduced in the film.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Well it's his character.

Anyway I wonder if Lucas had any particular Akira Kurosawa film in mind when he was talking about the passing of the Torch plot line of Episode VII. I'd guess one movie would be enough for it.

11. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    In that case, 9 is much better than 12.

12. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    ...Wakarimasen. ;)

eht13 likes this.
  13. Palpatine2016

Nov 12, 2012

Oh, well since it's HIS character, I guess I can't have an opinion. :p

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think the original treatment's had small roles for the big 3 so they could easily be written out however if they do indeed sign on I'm sure their roles will be expanded.....

15. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Of course you can have an opinion but since it's his character his opinion is more important than yours will ever be. Lucky for you it's also Lucas's movie so his opinion is even more important than Hamill's and as luck would have it, your opinion is the same as Lucas'.
    For a moment I had you confused with lordofthetech. Are all people with Palpatine avatars trolls?

chris hayes: Everybody hates me for saying things like: "I don't want them to be badasses." But this is just not their movie. Of course I'd assume at least Ford would have a lot of screentime. No point signing him on for 10 minutes. The other two didn't do much outside of Star Wars so I'm not sure about them.

Pfluegermeister: What is it that you don't understand?

16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure I agree with that... "more important"? Not really. "More informed" perhaps would be better. Anyhow's I think Lucas was right and Hamill was less well informed... ;)

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  17. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I fully believe two things about these treatments:

1. They were based on the older ST treatments.

2. GL knew what he was going to do WAY earlier than we think, and elements were planted in the PT to allow him to move forward with an ST and compensate for changes he had made towards the end of the OT.

[face_skull]

18. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    AGREED.

19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    He could also have put things into TCW, he always had the ST, on his mind, but he's the master of Double speak.
    He's like Obi Wan, what he tells you is always true, from a certain point of view.

darklordoftech and kainee like this.
  20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Not necessary.

21. Palpatine2016

Nov 12, 2012

I only see one troll here...

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, enough with the troll accusations here, guys... please play nice.

darklordoftech, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  23. Palpatine2016

Nov 12, 2012
    Gladly. I honestly didn't expect my original comment to get backlash like that, but I apologize...

eht13 likes this.
  24. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Well, not to go EU here but. Fate of the Jedi did use a lot from the Mortis arc, and with Maul's death nowhere to be seen, he might be being set up for something(which I hope is NOT the ST). I don't know about the PT being a setup, but TCW is very suspicious. Maybe the reason why we there is no word of season six is that the episodes that will follow season five will somehow foreshadow events in the ST.

25. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    seeds of the future were already being planted for Rebels, and the ST, from Palpatine getting a Holocron of force sensitive families, and babies, In the last arc they were talking about Jedi who had left the order due to the order, and we have no idea how many of them left, many would probably start having families of their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.