main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas is Retiring

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Just for fun (and to avoid the work on my desk) I just ran through the last 15 hours of posts, and the only "negative" posts I found were these, and there were only 2 to be found that could be considered negative...

"So let me get this right...
    The worst one is going to be made worse by cheap after film 3d effects of pod racing and animated "Bunnies"
    Lucas you little ripper! "

Which is kinda true, TPM is largely considered to be the least favorite and the addition of 3d effects after the fact never turn out that well. Also, the superfluous addition of bunnies has no point or impact to the story...it is just more "change for the sake of change".

The other was this...

"Dear "Star Wars": I'm sick of all the promos for the crap-tacular "Phantom Menace 3D," so I'm going to "unlike" this page for a while. Sorry...nothing personal. Arrivederci."

Both of those "negative" postings are really tame and neither were directed towards Lucas personally.

The other 150-200 or so posts by fans were overwhelmingly supportive towards George Lucas and Star Wars. Seems like the reports of thousands of fans coming out to bash GL is a bit overstated to me. Lucas seems to be focusing on his detractors, and that is probably all he sees these days.

2. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010
    Just go to the Ain't It Cool News Talkbacks, IMDb forums and Rotten Tomatoes General Discussion Forums and you'll see all that, and then some. Even in unrelated talkbacks/threads. There are some rejoicing this turn of events with titles like "We did it!" or "We won!" Some even claim for his death!

3. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Well that is just sad, I can see how Star Wars is important to some people but really that is taking it just a bit too far. I don't appreciate every choice Lucas made in regards to Star Wars...but I would never disrespect the creator of something I enjoy so much like that. Insane.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I honestly have very little patience with people who can't express their opinions without being rude or insulting. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it reduces the validity of the opinion in my eyes when adults can't behave as such when expressing their opinions.

My children behave more maturely than these people. So did members of Congress when debating Obamacare.

How hard is it to say, "I didn't like the prequels, I couldn't relate to the characters and Jar-Jar annoyed me; I'll stick with the originals," as opposed to "Lucas needs to die"?

I won't argue with you about the 3D because I've only seen Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in 3D. I'll reserve my opinion on that issue for next month when I see TPM.

However, TPM is "largely considered to be the least favorite" by whom? I think this is a largely-held misconception based on the fact that the TPM haters are the loudest, but to my knowledge, no objective and comprehensive poll of moviegoers or Star Wars fans has been done which would show that TPM is "largely considered the least favorite."

5. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I agree ASFAN1983: personal insults are disgusting and OTT:

but look at this post:

that is a very broad statement, "if sw doesn't make you happy" what does this mean? star wars doesn't make me 100 percent happy, am I supposed to enjoy 100 percent or **** off?

6. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I didn't give a percentage :rolleyes:. But if one's primary fannish activity is wishing for Lucas's death, sending hateful Tweets to Katie Lucas, and trolling every comment section of every article about Lucas or Star Wars, I don't think one really enjoys Star Wars anymore.

--MissPadme

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with MissPadme. If the majority of a "fan"'s time on Star Wars is spent hating on Star Wars, when exactly is said fan enjoying Star Wars? He or she might enjoy hating Star Wars and Lucas, but that is not the same as enjoying Star Wars. It's time to move on to a franchise he or she actually likes.

I'm also not big on the "But that side did it too!" or "That side did it first!"

That sort of thing also belongs on an elementary school playground.

8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

hence my above comment, it seemed broad,

whats with the :rolleyes: ?

then I'll ask the question again, do you see me as the psycho resentful type?

I'm the mad hatter by the way.

MissPADME: THIS IS MY POSITION ON STAR WARS AS A WHOLE:

- love 4 of the 6 films

- was angry that the SyfoDyas mystery wasn't answered, despite claims from Lucas it would be answered in EP 3, what we got instead was a boring battle in space, and an introduction to the worst character in the PT: GG

- hate TCW, to me Ahsoka Tano doesn't exist

- never called Lucas the man a horrible name

- never said anyone else should direct the movies

so to you, do you place me with the batch that hate Lucas? ie the bashers?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not going to speak for MissPadme, but since you haven't called Lucas a hateful name and your discussions of what you dislike are limited to exactly that--civil discussions about the particular plot points that you dislike--why would you defend the so-called fans who are behaving worse than spoiled children who didn't get what they wanted from Santa Claus?

10. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

As you see I don't defend 10 year olds who want lucas dead strung up or hurt.

11. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Well, it has the lowest rating of all the Star Wars films of IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. Critical reviews only got better as each prequel movie came out as well.

When fans gripe about any of the films, it is usually TPM taking the brunt of it. Fairly safe to say that it is the least loved of all the SW films, one of the films has to be the least liked....and if you want to believe that it is one of the others that is fine....but you would need to do a lot of convincing to make me feel otherwise based on what I have heard on this site since 2003.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes I take somewhat seriously but it's still a poll of people who visit the sites.

I certainly would not base an opinion on posts you've seen on this site since 2003, though. And I registered my first user name here in October 2000; I've been lurking here since just before TPM was released. Again, you are talking about whose voices are the loudest; the more negative posters also seem to be the most vehement. Additionally, the user base has changed quite a bit since 2003.

I'm not particularly interested in "convincing" you that TPM is more popular than any of the other movies, that isn't the point; the point is that a statement such as "largely considered" to be the least favorite--or a similar statement, "most people liked TPM the least"--needs more evidence before being presented as fact.

There are a lot of statements like that around the site, the more extreme version is "nobody liked the prequels" or "nobody over 25 liked the prequels."

13. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

don't know how I missed this before but hate and disliking certain aspects aren't the same thing,

this is a disscussion board NOT a fanclub, if people want:

yoda is awesome isn't he? absolutely the ****
    -
    CoOL POsT I G0T HIS AUTOGRAF

- this

-this x100000000

then tfn isn't that place, How exactly can someones critism RUIN something you like? unless it bothers that person that the criic has a point. PEOPLE LOVE 100 PERCENT OF STAR WARS, IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, it's a discussion board, not a fan club. And precisely because it's a discussion board, both "Yoda is awesome" and "Jar-Jar sucks" posts are out of place. I have made that point many times myself in threads here: if the only real response to your post can be either "YEAH!" or "You're wrong!", you're not trying to have a discussion.

Posts like "Jar-Jar sucks" bother me because they're nothing but drive-by pi**ing, and I'm here for discussion.

Hopefully I don't need to explain why a "Lucas sucks and needs to die" post would bother me. And no, that critic doesn't "have a point," nor does the person who can only post crap like "Jar-Jar sucks."

A discussable criticism would be along the lines of, "The Jedi were too dogmatic and obtuse, and Anakin's turn happened way too quickly." Not sure why such a post would bother anyone, including George Lucas.

15. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    but aren't Lucas must die etc against tos?

I don't see it said anymore

And I hate "Jar Jar sucksss" too,

I don't say say blanket statements and leave it there, I say why i dislike him (which I don't)

but I don't let posts like that bother me, I ignore them and read more interesting things, if it spoils your enjoyment, don't read said comment or it's users comments in the future and don't click on threads like:

Jar Jar is poo

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This line of discussion came about because of Lucas' statement about being yelled at and called a horrible person. MissPadme's quotes were from the official Star Wars Facebook page, not here.

I don't know if Lucas reads these boards or not, although if I had to guess, I'd say he might, given that it's the biggest Star Wars message board out there. He's probably disheartened by some of the posts here, but as I said earlier, this place is friendlier than many other places offering Star Wars discussion.

I don't think "Lucas needs to die" has been posted here, but it's been posted other places, and sent to him directly. The dispute here seems to be whether the fans were harsh on Lucas, and/or whether the anger of some so-called "fans" justified the way they expressed themselves.

I'm sure the statements that have been made here numerous times that Lucas should not have any more to do with his own work, are pretty disheartening for Lucas. But as far as these boards being the majority of the problem, no, they aren't.

17. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    unfortunately thats the dark side of the internet

but my point was that people with negative critisms tend to be called bashers and lumpedd together with the haters. I see it on saga, pt and CT al the time.

18. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Regarding TPM, I think we'll all get an insight into how popular it is/was on February 10th when it's re-released
    in 3 D.

19. queeq

queeq Jedi Master star 4

Feb 10, 1999
    Calling names is lame and sad.

But I don't think Lucas should be playing the victim here. The guy has received praise for decades, even now at Comoic-Con or summin the guy gets loud cheers.

And yes, we do not like everything he does. The point is: Lucas said he just wants to do what HE wants, he clearly stated he doesn't care about what fans think about what he's established with Sw over the past three decades. He just wants to change it every way he wants. Well, if you don't care, why gripe if someone doesn't like what you do.

We all buy his stuff, I don't care if he keeps tinkering with SW... but I would like to have a good version of the movies that made me fall in love with SW: the OT. But he changes his mind every few years about these films, and not all changes are good. If he gave us all versions (like usually happens when great classics are recut or made in new versions (Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven,. Blade Runner, ET, Alien etc etc)) I don't think there would be any problem. But he doesn't WANT to give us the OOT, and he doesn't care what we think. Well, then don't play the victim here... be consistent if you want to be taken seriously.

And now I DO hope he will start making these small, independent films he's been talking about ever since he finished ROTS... before he started more mass media money making projects like SW 3D and the Clone Wars. I'd really like to see if there's anything left if the inventive film maker he once so clearly demonstrated to be.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He did? Do you have the quote in which he flat-out said, "I don't care what the fans think"?

I've seen a lot of statements batted around in which people interpreted his comments that way, but to my knowledge he has never once "clearly stated" that he doesn't care what the fans think.

A refusal to re-release the O-OT does not entail "clearly stating" that he doesn't care what the fans think. With a fandom as large as this one, he can't possibly give every segment of it exactly what they want.

And regardless, a refusal to re-release the O-OT in no way means that he deserves the insults that he has received, the harassment of his children, or death threats. It's not "playing the victim" to acknowledge that these particular "fans" have treated him badly.

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But sometimes actions speak louder than words. I'm not saying that he "clearly stated" anything regarding the matter, but I'm just throwing it out there that his refusal to do so isn't sending the right message along to the fans.

I may not agree with a lot of his decisions lately or even like aspects of his work, but I will still respect Lucas for what he has given us. For me, that is the O-OT and the childhood I spent enjoying it. Those were truly the "good old days" and that's something I'll always have with me. That's why I continue to fight for their release. It's not because I hate, it's because I love them so much. With that said, I wish Lucas the best of luck with whatever he decides to do.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  22. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

"Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.? ?

thats the closest you're gonna get,

and come on Lucas isn't an idiot to broadly state he doesn't care what fans think, why shoot him in the foot? he will loose everyone but the few who blindly follow him.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That statement does not even indicate that he doesn't care what the fans think, much less "clearly state" it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the statement you quoted. I wouldn't want my name plastered on a work that I wasn't 100 percent happy with either. Putting out a work for the sole reason that a group demanded it, doesn't make him an artist, it makes him a sellout. I could go down to a mall and film a bunch of people acting like morons, put it on TV, and people would probably watch it--but I certainly wouldn't want my name slapped on such a "work".

I grew up on the O-OT and I certainly think the quality is better than a reality show, but the point is that Lucas wasn't happy with it at all, and "people would pay for it" is not a good enough reason for him to remaster it. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Another example, there were several aspects of Anakin's fall that I didn't like, and the whole "Chosen One" prophecy sets my teeth on edge. Should I take that personally and assume that Lucas doesn't care about me because he didn't write ROTS my way? Or should I simply accept the fact that the story was never mine to begin with?

And all these arguments aside, I'm still waiting for someone to explain why it is somehow acceptable or normal to, as MissPadme said, behave like Annie Wilkes in Misery when Lucas doesn't get one's way where Star Wars is concerned. Anger or disappointment, even years of it, is not an excuse for being an ***hole.

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    that is strictly your opinion as is mine that it was close to giving fans the finger, you're not right, neither am I.

uhhm.... I think everyone has "explained to you" in this thread that it is not normal to act like a fictional Steven King character

please post usernames who has agreed with the nutters who want him dead.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We may interpret the quote differently and nobody has to be "wrong" there, but I don't think it's a matter of interpretation that he didn't "clearly state" that he didn't care what the fans think. If he "clearly stated" it, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because a "clearly stated" sentence isn't up for interpretation.

As far as the defenses, name dropping is childish and I'm not going to play, but there are several posts in this thread alone indicating that Lucas should have expected the critics' voices to get "louder and louder" when they didn't get the O-OT, and that Lucas shouldn't "play the victim". No outright defense of the death threats and insults, but an indication that he should have expected them and shouldn't complain about them, isn't much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.