main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx George says Han will forever shoot back, never first

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Lord_Reaper, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    WWW.NYPOST.COM

It's official.
    I hate George Lucas now. I'm sorry guys, but that's not star wars anymore.... This is an ass in a pissing contest with his former fans.

Bottom line, I'm not buying. EVER.

"We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

2. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I know how you feel

3. Toasty_McGrath

Toasty_McGrath Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2004
    Maybe all the bad guys should carry a pack of balloons, too. Maybe Han shouldn't even be a smuggler. I think dogcatcher is risque enough for lucas.

I can't believe he betrayed us.

4. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    were all going to open our brand new star wars DVD set to find all of the blasters have been replaced by comlinks... [face_plain]

5. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  7. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    hey, you guys are lucky. i decided to wait to buy anything, so now i can't even get my beloved ewok song ending of rotj :(

8. Toasty_McGrath

Toasty_McGrath Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2004
    I swear the Vietcong trained those guys...

9. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    I can't say I'm surprised, but still... :mad:

10. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    I don't think it is that bad

11. turbo72577

turbo72577 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    I'm sorry. I've been a fan of Star Wars my whole life but I still don't understand the debate about Han shooting first. It's about Greedo in the cantina, right? I remember that he shot first--so what's to argue? Would someone please explain it all to me? Thanks.

12. blackfeather

blackfeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    so Greedo shoots first.

in the words of an absent friend...

"meh."

13. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    han does shoot first.. the way i see it, Greedo ACCIDENTALLY fired... this is the only way i can live with this change... WHY LUCAS WHY!!!???

and btw...
    I WANT MY DAMN LAPTI NEK BACK!!!
    sorry snootles :(

14. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    There's a petition to release the theatrical version of the Original Trilogy here. This could be our best shot for convincing the Flanneled One.

15. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm more hurt about the loss of the Ewok song. *whines pathetically*
    I'm still annoyed about the Han shooting first, but at least it still portrays him as getting ready to kill Greedo. It's not as funny as him shooting first though. *sigh*

PS: I always wondered why the last release of the Boxed VHS Trilogy had a promo saying something along the lines of see it "one last time." I guess this is why. (Duh to me, i know ;-p)

16. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I am #52048 on the petition. :) I hope GL pays attention.

17. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    I find this debate highly entertaining because of its nature. There are a few schools of thought here that I find extremely funny:

THOSE WHO THINK HAN SHOULD SHOOT FIRST BELIEVE:

1. Murder is ok as long as its over the Falcon, or your shipment, and you're shooting an alien with big bug eyes and a long probosis.

AND/OR

2. Self defense makes you a sissy if you're a smuggler and Greedo is a creep anyway, he deserves to die.

AND/OR

3. It's ok for Han to shoot first because Greedo is threatening him with a weapon and stating an intent to kill if his demands are not met. He is being backed into a corner and it's either kill or be killed.

THOSE WHO THINK HAN SHOULD SHOOT AFTER GREEDO BELIEVE:

1. Murder is not ok ever. Every alien deserves to live, even the nasty kind.

AND/OR

2. Self defense doesn't make you a sissy, and Han is a sexy beast for doing "the right thing".

AND/OR

3. Han is cool because he waits to make sure Greedo intends to kill him, not just talk about it, before he shoots.

I'm curious as to which school of thought everyone belongs to...

P.S. I miss the Ewok song too...it was much cooler than the newer one.

18. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I don't think Han shooting first is right or wrong, I think it's more a testament to his character. Yes, he is a smuggler, he transports drugs and he has killed people. At the same time Han has been figuratively and literally backed into a corner and makes the choice to fight his way out. When I saw Han kill Greedo in cold blood it was a definite change from the goody-goody hero who refuses to kill an unarmed opponent and never fires unless fired upon. And to tell the truth I thought that was a change for the better. To me Han embodies that "kill or be killed" mentality.

19. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] See, this is exactly why I find this so entertaining. The truth is that Han either murders Greedo or he does not, despite his character, mentality or his morals. It is highly entertaining to me to see how people explain their reasoning on this point because so many things come out of the need to justify, or not, the fact that someone dies.

I love it...keep it coming...

Ohh...I just thought of some other schools of thought I've encountered on this subject...see edit in above post.

20. Anwelei

Anwelei Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 2001
    I like it as Han shoots first because I find it so darn funny! I laugh everytime.

Greedo: I've been looking forward to this for a looooong time.
    Han (glaring): Yes, I'll bet you have.
    BLAM
    *Greedo falls face forward, smoking.*
    *Linda giggles*

21. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I n my opinion it does not matter who fires first.

If han shoots first it because he was stopping greedo from capturing him.

If he shoots back its still self preservation.Either way the rodian was risking his own life being a boutny hunter and he knew the risks.

22. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    its not so much the ethical debate for me, its the horrible way they edited in the greedo shot! han's head moves instantly! there was nothing wrong with the original shot, it was perfect! why mess with it!!!

23. dustchick

dustchick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm with Sideshow - the edit of the shot is awful!

Also, I think that Greedo shooting first diminishes Han's character arc, where in the original trilogy he had more flaws to be redeemed.

(back to lurking now...)

24. Jedi_Webb

Jedi_Webb Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    My 2c: Lucas claims the "Special Editions" were done because the technology wasn't available back in the 70's to do what he really wanted. So, the Special Editions were created to be "what he had intended" to make, but just didn't have the abilities until now.
    So Greedo not being able to shoot first was simply a technical problem, until now. ;)

ROFL!

25. DarthFeldman

DarthFeldman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    im with ya webb..heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.