main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ghost Rider & Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, May 23, 2006.

1. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    I understand that there's 3 Ghost Riders'--the Cowboy, then the two bikers, Johnny Blaze, and Dan Ketch. I got the Last one in the 90's. I'll assume that the movie will deal with J. Blaze.

I'll maybe see it,

Playing with X-3?

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I was a big fan of Ghost Rider during the Danny Ketch run. I collected those right from issue one. I especially loved the Punisher cross overs, but lost track of the series after awhile. What was the difference between Danny and Johnny's versions of the Ghost Rider? Was Dan's version also Zanatos? At least that's what I think his name was. When I was reading the series they were just getting into the mystery of all that.

EDIT: Where's Darth Sinister when I need him?

3. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Cage is too old for this. If he's such a big comic book fan all his life ( and supposedly he really is ) why couldnt he make a superhero film twenty years ago? He had major inroads in the industry with his family and was a good actor from early on to boot.

4. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I don't think it had anything to do with Cage's desire, remember he was involved with Superman for a long time. It's more to do with Hollywood's attitude towards comic characters back in the 80s and 90s. Batman worked, but everything else sort of fizzled. No one was interested in bringing Marvel Characters to the screen until X-men worked, and then Spider-man proved to be such a huge hit. Now we're at the bottom of the barrel so far as Marvel characters go (when is that Iron Fist movie coming out?) so they're trying less main stream but popular characters like Ghost Rider.

Saying that, I doubt seriously that Ghost Rider would have worked without today's CG technology.

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
  6. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    [face=wince]

That had to hurt.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I can't wait for this movie. It's look to be pretty damn good. To add to that the 3rd Spiderman 3 trailer will be shown with it. :cool:

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Well the official site has been up for a bit. Great stuff.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/ghostrider/

I can't wait for the movie

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'll Netflix it, just for Eva Mendez.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'll definately see this in theaters. a lot of my friends are excited about this movie. they say Ghost Rider is an underrated character

11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  12. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    I didnt know there will be a new Spidey trailer...tight

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  14. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I firmly believe this movie will go down infamously with DareDevil and Elektra as one of the most foolish comic book films ever made.

That being said...I hope for everyone's sake that it is a shocking success.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i was never able to watch all of Elektra because of how bad it was. however, Daredevil actually worked out quite well. i enjoyed it and hope a sequel is in the future for it.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Ghost Rider gets a bonus just on how awesome he looks. That alone earns it a spot on at least my "guilty pleasure" list.

17. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I just picked up the film Novelization this morning at Wal-mart. I'll read through and post any spoilers that seem interesting...

Wait, this is the Ghost Rider we're talking about. Who's going to actually be interested in the story? :rolleyes:

18. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    I dont know too much about the movie, but I'm willing to give it a shot

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    You mean the movie isn't going to be one long montage of Ghost Rider and his ass-kickery??? [face_talk_hand] I am no longer interested. :p

20. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001

*opens book*
    Chapter One
    Ghost Rider egnites in flames and kicks butt.

Chapter Two
    More butt-kicking, more flames.

Chapter Three
    Gratuitous violence and some sexy stuff from Eva Mendez

Chapter Four
    Mephisto kicks Cage's butt

Chapter Five
    Ghost Rider returns to kick Mephisto's butt back to hell

And that's without actually ever opening the book. ;)

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    we have to take into account that some stuff in the book won't be in the movie. i'll probably pick it up sometime this week as well.

22. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Ok, I'm reading the book for real this time. I'm through the first few chapters and it's actually pretty good (if in need of some serious editing). It mirrors the events in the comics as I remember them pretty closely. Who'da thought they'd bother to care about such things?

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    care to go into more detail? :D

24. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    OK, here's what I've read so far (bear in mind that the movie doesn't have to match the novelization whatsoever):

Spoilers:
    It begins in the old west with a lone cowboy riding out to retrieve a package for Mephisto. There's an entire western town that sold it's soul for money and power and they've all killed themselves. Apparently the cowboy, having also sold his soul, has been enlisted as a bounty hunter for the devil. Charged with hunting down and retrieving evil denizens who've escaped the bowels of hell.

The Cowboy arrives in the literal ghost town and takes a piece of parchment dripping blood. He's off to bring it back to Mephisto, but he realizes that these 1,000 souls would be too much power. Instead he turns and flees, turning into a flaming skeleton.

Jump to the 1980s and a 17 year old Johhny Blaze is performing in a circus stunt show with his dad. He and his girlfriend, the circus owner's daughter of course, want to run away together. Then Johnny learns that his dad is dying of lung cancer and he decides that he just can't leave. This is when Mephisto shows up and offers to cure his father of his cancer in exchange for his soul. Johnny rashly agrees but wakes up the next morning believing it was all a dream. He finds his father up and feeling better than ever, his cancer gone as promised. He decided to leave him then for his girl, but as he's leaving the circus he hears his father crash during the show. Johnny races back to find his father dying. Spotting Mephisto in the crowd Johnny chases him down and argues that he went back on his deal, but Mephisto tells Johnny that he did cure the cancer as promised and now Johnny's soul is his. One day he will call on him...

That's as far as I got during lunch yesterday.

25. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I picked up the novel and am half way through it. I'm liking it so far.

Also there is a sneak peak at the Ghost Rider score on Christopher Young's website:

Ghost Rider Score Preview

I like the western feel to it.