main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Green Lantern Movie: NOT THE GREEN HORNET, ZAZ

Discussion in 'Community' started by Soontir-Fel, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I take it all back. THAT LOOKS FRAKKING AWESOME.

Sorry for the shouting. Excited. :D

2. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    It definitely looks better than Batman & Robin, Daredevil, Elektra, and other superhero tripe that's been trotted out over the past ten years.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I don't know, I'm not sold. It honestly looks like just another Ryan Reynolds comedy vehicle with sci-fi elements. Seems like it's trying to be Iron Man, except there's a severe problem with that approach. RDJ >>>>>>> RR.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, after wtaching it a few times, the trailer just doesn't really ever grab me. It does try to sell itself as Iron Man, and while I'm a big fan of Reynolds (and still think he'll be good in this role- though not as great as he will be in Deadpool) you can't sell him like RDJ/IM. The actors and characters are too different.

Very rarely in the trailer do I feel "awesome" coming from it. I see bits of potential (certain scenes, moments and the overall scale) here and there, but I never get that emotional buzz/goosebumps reaction a really good trailer should induce.

So, I think I have to rank this one as a misfire so far as a trailer goes. Which, again, is dissapointing, since this movie should have had the easiest teaser trailer to make in rceent history (just need the oath (it's partial-use in the real trailer seems like an after-thought), the lantern/logo and maybe one really kick-ass shot).

I think the suit visuals are one big factor towards this impression- while it may make absolute sense for their uniforms to be made out of glowing energy, that doesn't really translate well to the screen in the manner they've chosen- they (Hal and the other Lanterns) flat out look like cartoons (which further affects Hal's face, which becomes more cartoony looking to match it w/the domino mask). This almost comes across looking like a trailer to a Green Lantern video game. I think a practical approach would have grounded the concept much better, visually.

That fan trailer from a few months ago blew this one out of the water by several miles, which is kinda sad.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Everyone pretty much agrees the CGI still needs work so I won't be surprised to see that fine tuned. That said, it looks promising. Kilowog and Tomar Re look quite nice. Sinestro looks like Sinestro. Abin Sur looks appropriately alien. Hector Hammond looks creepy and crazy without looking goofy. And Oa looks spectacular. Considering the movie is still several months away, I think the CGI will improve. Reynolds as cocky hotshot pilot Hal Jordan seems to work from the shots shown. I'm not however sold on Carol Ferris quite yet.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    When it's being serious, I quite like it. It's the jokey moments that throw the tone off. While they may work in the context of the film, they're not really what I'm looking for in a superhero movie trailer. It's not turning me off the film, but as a trailer it's just too tonally dissonant and is overemphasizing the wrong stuff.

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Saw the trailer at a Harry Potter showing. Pretty good.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    So if this is not The Green Hornet, does *he* have a thread?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think so, but I think he appreciates your misguided efforts to correct that ;).

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Anytime. :*

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Green Lantern Wondercon footage (4 minute reel):

Apple Link

Youtube Link

:eek: AMAZING!

After that crappy first trailer a few months ago, they clearly had to nail this one to win back people.

Yeah, the mask still looks like bad CGI, but the scene of Hal first saying the oath makes me not care.

12. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I liked the first trailer, but this footage was sooooo much better. I thought the humor in it struck the right tone it didn't seem campy to me. In fact I think it would how most of us would proably react. I thought the effects were better polished. I'm looking forward to it.

13. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I HAVE A BONER

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    With the humor toned down and the epicness turned way up, it definitely works for me. I'm sold.

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    "Ryan Reynolds explains the relationship between Hal Jordan and Sinestro in Green Lantern

Ryan Reynolds explains the relationship between Hal Jordan and Sinestro in Green LanternOn Friday, we were lucky enough to sit with the ring-slinging superhero himself, Ryan Reynolds, and talk about Green Lantern with a group of other reporters. And he explained how Hal Jordan sees Mark Strong's Sinestro as a father figure.

Plus we've got a ton more super high-res screencaps from the four minutes of new footage that came out over the weekend! Minor spoilers below...

So you might think of Sinestro as Hal Jordan's arch nemesis ? but fans of the Green Lantern comic know that Sinestro starts out as Hal Jordan's friend and mentor. And indeed, Ryan Reynolds talked a lot in interviews at Wondercon about how much Hal sees Sinestro as a father figure.

Green Lantern, the film, is full of "daddy issues" due to Hal Jordan's long-dead father and all the new father figures he takes on in the film, explained Reynolds.

[Hal Jordan] needs mentors. I mean, this is a guy that's out of control at the beginning of our film. He's out of control in a more realistic way. He's not like in the band Poison and falling asleep on an oven which is turned on. He's out of control in a kind of a more realistic sort of a way. He's a rudderless guy, he's arrogant and misguided... He's shepherded by these guys. Mark Strong, who's such an immense talent and an immense presence, serves as a bit of a mentor. You have Kilowog, who's sort of a mentor. Then you have Tomar-Re, who's inducting Hal and really showing what this world is.

We asked Reynolds how he went about portraying a hero whose main strength is the ability to overcome fear ? how do you dramatize feeling fear but overcoming it? And Reynolds explained how the utterly fearless Sinestro makes it possible to show Hal's struggle to overcome fear:

What distinguishes Hal from the other Lanterns is that he has the ability to overcome fear, because he experiences it. They see that as a weakness, that he experiences fear. Overcoming fear is the very definition of courage. It's moving on, in spite of it not because of it. It's what makes him the greatest Green Lantern of them all. He harnesses that fear that he's feeling, and he converts it into pure will. It's exciting to play that, but it's also easier to tell that story when you have its opposite next to you. When you're standing next to Mark Strong as Sinestro, who feels no fear and has no fear. And in his performance, you feel no fear. You hear no fear. It makes my job easier to show that contrast."

16. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    That new footage looks INCREDIBLE, and the interview with Reynolds gives me hope and confidence that he and the producers have really understood the character. I'm really looking forward to this film as the spark that ignites the DC line of comics adaptations, the way Iron Man ignited the Marvel line.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bump- out today!

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...and it's ok. It's not the worst comic film so far but not among the better entries of recent years.

Best comparison would be (for me at least, since I actually really liked Daredevil) to say it's not as good as Daredevil, but handles the material better than the Daredevil movie handled it's material.

Overall style and feel is lighter than most recent comic films- closer to those of the 80's and 90's, with a bit of a mix between Superman 1, Superman 2 and Batman Forever (though without the full-on camp of the latter) with a dash of trying to rip off Iron Man (though that brings it a modern tone at least). There's several sequences that are definitely reminiscent of the first two Superman films.

Still, it doesn't really give the story the time it needs so it feels a tad rushed and certain jumps back and forth between locations are a bit odd in terms of the story structure that kinda hurts the film's ability to gain momentum (specifically, the bar scene between the lantern oath scene and the flight to Oa and, most annoyingly, that Hal travels all the way to Oa just to ask for permission to defend the planet he just came from. He should have already chosen to leave Earth by then and been on Oa for a bit so that him asking to go back would have more weight..

The action sequences/heroic are actually quite good. Reynolds is pretty good, as is Mark Strong. Skaarsgard is ok as Hector. Everyone else (non-Lantern characters) really doesn't register. The universe they try to build here is effective enough, for sure.

Still, it's watchable. And is a decent enough base that they could do some good stuff with the sequel if they focus on the story more next time.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    According to Four Dot, this movie is very bad indeed.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While his dissection was truly epic, I don't think the film was that bad. It is heavily flawed, and many of Four Dot's issues are completely valid (as I mentioned above, there are some structural/pacing issues that could have been fixed via editing or a reorganization of events in the script that would have benefited the film tremendously and allowed at least a stretch of the film to build a portion of itself into something really worth watching- scenes like the aforementioned lantern oath and flying through Oa are rather magical by themselves (just see that extended trailer from earlier in the year), but the film connects them in such a way that they fall flat as a whole).

However, there have been far, far worse superhero/comicbook films made in just the past 10 years alone- and, again, there's enough in the film from which they could build a very good sequel out of (i know there are those that disagree with me on the matter, but, to me, it's almost equal to how The Mummy Returns managed to perfect The Mummy, correcting it's flawed tonal elements and improving previously-annoying supporting characters; with Green Lantern, it's not so much tone as story pacing and structure, instead of tone).

21. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It's not particularly bad, just...okay. It kind of falls flat in a strange way.

22. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    too bad they banked on it being a hit and saved sinestro for the second movie, which would've been awesome.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, WB says they're still making a sequel, so hopefully they'll be able to build off of the potential from the first movie, but pair it with a better director and script.

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    In the end it didn't matter whether I could tell them apart or not; they both sucked.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, they weren't that bad. And since GL will likely continue as a franchise, it still matters that you be able to tell them apart, otherwise we'll get headline links that read: "Green Lantern 2: Should They Recast Seth Rogen?" :p.