main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grievous vs. Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jedi_Master_Ron, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Try watching the Clone Wars Volumne II. It's about as close as we're going to get.

2. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    they exaggerated greivous's power a bit too much in Clone wars dont u think roland?

3. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    I only watched series 1 (btw, I loved it and am gonna get disc 2 within a week or so) but the end Grievous fight scene was probably a little over the top (whiping out 4 Jedi without breaking a sweat) but it was a welcome chnage after seeing him bumble around in Ep3. I liked seeing him be this awesome fighter, cause now I get to see why the build-up in Ep3. I think there needed to be a middle ground. Like, maybe being able to take out 2 Jedi and 1 Padawan or something. That would still show how good he is without overpowering him. The film had alot of buildup with Grievous, but had very little to show for it. You could just say that it is because Obi is sooo awesome that he beat Grievous that fast, but the Obi we know and love can't whup 4 or 5 Jedi at once.

4. GrievousKiller

GrievousKiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2005
    again his power is exaggerated. Everyone's was in Clone Wars
    i doesnt make sense. Greivous>4 Jedi that are trained and on the council
    Dooku>obi wan
    Greivous taught by dooku
    Obi wan>greivous???
    it doesnt make sense

5. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Well who didn't they exagerate? Yoda, Mace, Anakin Obi Wan... and don't even make me mention that terrible storm trooper armor he was making.

It was a cartoon guys, EVERYTHING is exagerated in those fun snippets, I really don't understand how people are hung up on this.

As far as my oppinion goes, I thought the GG v.s. Obi Wan battle was awesome up until Obi Wan dropping his lightsaber. I mean come on! The same thing happened with his fight against Fett! I just sorta sighed when it happened in the theatre...really the only part of the film that bugs me.

I personally would have wished to see GG sliced up but seeing him get SHOT by a Jedi was, quite surprising and..well cool.

If Obi Wan just HAD to lose his lightsaber, at least do it mid-fight...sheesh.

Oh dear...here I am, a member of the illustrious General Grievous Fan Club and I spin off talking about his nemesis. He's going to be so upset :(

[image=http://www.mtv.com/movies/photos/s/star_wars_3_041216/11.jpg]

6. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    ha, i beat darth-sinister for once!

7. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    I do see what you mean. The first time I watched the duel I was in awe cause it was RotS and it was all amazing. 2nd time I was dissapointed. Now I like it. It coulda been longer, but it is good. What I really dont like is how Obi just moved his saber down on the blade to slice Grievous's hands off. I mean, when in a saber lock, why dont all the Jedi do this? I have pondered on this since before RotS and still have no explanation. I mean, sabers have no handguards which keep real swordfighters from doing it, so whats the deal?

yea, the cartoons are not exactly accurate in the fighting, but you see the basic part of it. Obi beat Grievous fairly easily. (about as easy/hard as Jango save for that he caught Grievous) Yet we dont get any kind of gauge of Grievous's skill before that. He ends up looking crappy.

Guy a couple posts above me- He was trained by Dooku, but he still doesnt have the raw Force potential (or any for that matter, or Jedi skills/talents) He may be really fast, but he cant block blaser bolts.

8. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006

ron, that's basically what the last volume of the clone wars cartoon was about : grievous kicking other jedi's butts.[face_plain]

9. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    But I would've liked to see Grievous kick other Jedi's butts in ROTS

10. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    actually, that may have been thought of, but the time restrictions made it impossible for that to happen in ROTS.

11. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    Ya that's too bad.

12. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    The visuals on Grievous were far better than those of Kong, I thought.

13. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Agreed and at least CGI cutscene for AOTC...just a hint. [face_mischief]

[image=http://www.starwars.jp/character/image/general_grievous.jpg]

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    John Knoll or Rob Coleman said that they wished that they had known about Grievous sooner, so they could've added him in AOTC. Even if he wasn't going to speak, just having him there to set up his future role.

While the cartoon did exaggerate his fighting style, it was still sufficent to kill a number of Jedi before fighting Mace and then Obi-wan. At least over a dozen were killed by him, with four surviving by help of Jedi rescue or sheer cunning, such as the case of K'Krukk (sp).

15. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, this duel was particularly disappointing. When I heard he would be using 4 sabers I had expected something really special. I expected him to be using flowing, complex, good looking moves on Obi, but instead he just kinda slashes at him, plus the camera is too close in so you can't really see anything apart from a load of blurred sabers.

16. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Grievous Vs Obi-Wan

I thought the duel was good, not amazing. It was bright and the pace was adequate. Grievous's skill did not exceed his reputation. However Obi-Wan looked more in danger of losing that duel while hanging of the cliff then any part of his duel against Anakin. I was amazed they didn't give Anakin that slight edge to demonstrate his power. So it can be said that Grievous actually faired pretty well and he needs some credit for that. If not for the blaster would Obi have lost his life?[face_thinking]

17. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    Naw, he coulda pushed Grievous with the Force or just dropped off the cliff. He fell that distance before.

18. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    You would think the force push is a natural instinct of the jedi/sith when they are against the ropes. I watched ROTJ last night when Luke cuts Vader's arm off while Luke is debating what to do, Vader has enough time to force push him.;)

19. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    According to GL: [long story short I have to go] If grievous attacks, he will win through intimidation, if he is attacked and he stands and fights, he will loose. I makes sense when you hear the whole thing [listen to the commentary on CW v2]

20. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    exactly vader, you dont see enough force pushing. It's a powerful move as we see the few times it's used and is good for giving you at least a few extra seconds to prepare yourself for an attack.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, the thing with a Force shove is that you leave yourself open to attack. Thats why everytime you see it done in TPM and AOTC, there's someone to watch the other's back. Note that when Anakin moves some of the equipment in the droid foundry, he's left open as he has to concentrate on the equipment. Someone could blast him from behind and he wouldn't have enough time to react. Obi-wan was able to do it against Grievous, because they were locked and he could do it easily. Same with Anakin, only the latter could sense it coming and thus block it at the same time.

22. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Grievous' backstory states he was injured and placed in a cyborg body during the clone wars, so he would not be around during AOTC.

A similar idea of suited Vader hunting down Jedi at the end fell through the hole fo that same reason.

23. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    the movie couldve been 20 minutes longer, with some good stuff in those 20 extra minutes and everyone would love it....i dont see what this time restriction garabe is...i mean look at LOTR...even the theatrical version of ROTK....they couldve just replaced shaak ti with a differnt jedi or anything

24. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006

have you read anything at all about editing episode 3? because george lucas wanted more action scenes, but the TIME restrictions limited him. actually, there is no restriction, but a time "reasonableness"

25. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    exactly, if rots was a good half an hour longer, it would be about perfect.

well, it does take concentration to move stuff around, but just to blast an object with energy doesnt take a whole lot at all. Refer to count dooku in both of his duels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.