main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    is anyone else dissapointed that Williams is not scoring Harry Potter and GOF? Superman is associated with Williams work, just like (to me anyway) that "harry's wonderous world" is associated with Potter. I don't know who is scoring the movie; but will it be new music or using "some" of williams music. I really don't want to see a new composer and "his" new take on HP.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Not disappointed at all. If anything, I was disappointed by Williams' first two HP scores. In fact, I knew that Patrick Doyle, who will be composing <i>Goblet of Fire</i>, had collaborated with <i>Prisoner of Azkaban</i> director Alfonso Cuarón a couple times (<i>A Little Princess</i> and <i>Great Expectations</i>), and mentioned that I wished he were scoring the third one. Of course, Williams came along with a stupendous score for that movie. . . and then it was announced that he wouldn't be coming back for #4, and Doyle was signed for it! Doyle's also worked twice with Mike Newell before, on <i>Into the West</i> and <i>Donnie Brasco</i>. Anyway, Doyle's tremendously talented, and I think he definitely has the chops to pull off an appropriate <i>Harry Potter</i> score -- I only hope he does well, because he definitely deserves more popular recognition than he's gotten, so if this score does well, it should do that, but if he botches it. . . I don't even want to think about it. But I'm sure he'll do a very fine job.

As to whether Williams' themes will be used, I don't know -- but I can't imagine that at least some of them won't be. But then, Williams himself must have realized he was overdoing it in the first two, and barely used the existing themes in <i>PoA</i>, and I can only assume that Doyle will be writing predominantly new music.

EDIT: It seems that several of Williams' themes will indeed by showing up in <i>GoF,</i>, including "Harry's Wondrous World."

3. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    If Doyle or Williams don't come back for future Potter films, I hope maybe David Arnold, Alan Silvestri or even Basil Poledouris get a shot at one.

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I think Doyle is signed for the next one as well, but I'm not sure.

Poledouris I'd love to see, though he seems to have disappeared; Arnold would be another fine choice; but Silvestri's never really done much for me.

5. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    I've never heard of Patrick Doyle, but if what you say Mastadge is true; then it works for me. I would just like some of the music to remain, just for continuity sake. I love the scores so far, chamber of secrets is good, but more or less a re-hash of "stone". POA is a great album and "buckbeats flight" is a thing of beauty. Mastadge, why didn't you like the first two scores?

p.s. Basildouris has kinda dissapeared hasn't he? but i guess after you make such an awesome score as Conan; it's tough to beat your best work. (i kid..i would like him to produce another great score though.)

6. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Poledouris has done lots of great scores -- his last before he disappeared, The Touch, is one of his best. Rumor has it he'll be writing the music for upcoming movies by John Milius and Simon Wincer, with whom he collaborates frequently, but we'll see what happens.

7. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I recently re-discovered the first two HP scores and I find them to be very enjoyable, above average scores from Williams. They don't break any new ground for the composer and he tends to overuse the main theme a bit, but they are still highly listenable scores with many good themes. And as for the third HP score, I always loved it and think that it ranks alongside ROTS as Williams' best work in years.

As for Doyle taking over on the 4th film, I am looking forward to a change even though I am relatively unfamiliar with Doyle's work and sound. I think it will be nice to hear a change in the music as long as some of the more iconic Williams themes return, even if only briefly.

8. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    How could you not like the COS score. Track 2 is easy one of the best songs ever!

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Didn't say I didn't like them. I said I was disappointed.

10. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I was very disappointed by the first two scores. I only even bothered to buy PoA, because I was so blown away by the new music Williams had composed. Doyle should be great.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I actually though POA`s score was the best of the first three Potter stories,and I was hoping Williams would come back.

12. Rogue_02

Rogue_02 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Why is it, anyway, that Williams is not on board for the Goblet of Fire? I hadn't realized he wasn't involved still. I think I agree that the initial harry potter scores seemed a bit lackluster. A few good themes and textures but not consistently interesting. And the first violin part is a real freakin' B*TCH. curse those childrens concerts!!!!

if only I had a rubber chicken for every wrong note I play...

BUCKAWWW! [face_chicken]

13. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Sorry to up a thread, but:

Any word yet on whether William's themes are staying?

As long as Hedwig's theme and The Hogwarts theme stay I'll be happy. He can do away with Harry's WW, Harry needs a new theme anyway.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I want the Window to the Past theme as well.

15. redsabreanakin

Feb 16, 2005
    I don't know..I think the music has already established the characters. The same way Superman and Batman (due to Williams and Elfman really have identified the music with the character, and no other comic book score has come close).

I agree with Hedgwick's theme; but Harry's Wonderful World has to stay. That is his theme (as far as I'm concerned). From there he can can come up with whatever he wants. I'll still be missing Williams though.

Boy; that John Williams surely is busy these days..He never takes a break..I guess some of that is Spielbergs fault i suppose..he's been very busy as well.

16. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The score has been recorded, but there is no news about the incorporation of Williams's themes.

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    God I am dying to find out. It better be good.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001

Oh yeah. God yeah. If it isn't I'm going to cry. Lots. And lots.

19. getsurin_koneko

getsurin_koneko Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2005
    Wait...Mike Newell directed that mini-series on TNT?

?_?

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    No, it was a kid's movie from the early 90s.

21. getsurin_koneko

getsurin_koneko Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2005
    OH...oopsie.

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001

Actually, I rewatched the first film last night and I must admit that I got Harry's WW and the Hogwarts theme mixed up. Harry's WW must stay!!!

23. RogueBoga1138

RogueBoga1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Wonder what new themes Doyle will make. Probably a Triwizard Tournament theme, and maybe a theme for the Goblet. I dunno.

24. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    He wrote "a zillion themes."

25. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    The music from the new trailer is some of the best music I have ever heard. I hope I dont get banned for saying this but this guy might do a better job then Williams at Harry Potter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.