main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Dennis McCarthy...?

I will say that the three pop songs on the GOF soundtrack were some of the most annoying crap I've ever heard.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The songs work fine in the film for what they should be. Dennis McCarthy is a television score composer who did the music for the Star Trek: Generations film. It is clearly the weakest Star Trek score ever and does not hold up to Goldsmith or Horner at all. His "themes" were as weak as Doyle's for GOF.

3. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    When I saw that there were pop songs from the Yule ball sequence on the album my first though was: Please don't let them consist of cliched Magic themed lyrics!!

They consisted of exactly that... ugh...

"Put you're hands up in the air
    Like an Ogre just don't care"

Other magic themed rymes included:

Ghost/Scaring himself the most
    Spectre/definitely out to get ya
    Crazy Elf/dancing with himself
    Hippogriff/Flying off from a cliff
    Unicorn/Break of Dawn

That is vomit inducing stuff alright... So now I skip those tracks for fear of getting them stuck in my head during school...

4. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I really like the last three tracks. The first two are fun and the last one is very beautiful.

5. __Vader__

May 23, 2005
    Kiera Knightly is beautiful. Sadly, "Magic Works" does not inspire the same appreciation of beauty with me.

BTW I do love the oompa loompa songs on Danny Elfman's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. So I'm not a complete pop music hater :p

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I dunno... I think those songs work just fine within the film. They work rather well, actually. But outside the film... dunno. I am not a Pulp fan. They're not really my style.

7. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004
    The only complaint I have against JW is the overuse of 'Hedwig's Theme'. It drives me crazy while watching the first two films, and makes my value of his score diminish greatly. Though he still is top in my book for favorite film scores other than the HP series. Doyle brought a creative spin on the score for the movie just as Mike Newell did with directing. It works for the film's overall attitude.

But I have to agree on the pop songs :(

8. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Then how would you classify JW's work on the third film, POA? I thought that POA was a very diverse, well-crafted score. It was, in many ways, already a departure from the first two films. Doyle's further departure just pulls us that much further out of the very story into which he was trying to immerse us.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Honestly it's no different than the overuse of the Imperial March in TESB or the Raiders March in Raiders of the Lost Ark. John does that sometimes. Oh well. I personally think the only problem with his HP scores lies with Chamber of Secrets being largely rehash of the first score. Had Williams had time to really sit down and compose COS from the beginning, I think he would have progressed more from the first film and the use of Hedwig's theme would have been like somewhere in between Sorceror's Stone and Prisoner of Azkaban.

10. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Well, the "overuse" of the IM and the RM in those films is more acceptable considering he at least took more time to vary each performance of those themes in their respective films. In HP, the theme never really seems to develop or change from performance to performance.

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I think the Hedwig thing gets repedetive so quickly because Williams has three sub-themes that make up the main theme to put on repeat. So he has the first mysterious section, the second awe-inspired section and the more action-oriented section of the theme to play with in a relevant scene, but every time one of them comes on, we know it is just old Hedwig's theme, and write them off as one.

12. DarthAJ

Dec 9, 2004
    IMO I loved John Williams work on the third one especially, with the time turner sequence and the Dementor's theme. It's a very exciting soundtrack with lots of action cues and emotional bits that make it the highlight of JW's musical HP series. And I have to agree I would have liked Doyle not to move too far away from JW's vision, but the blame isn't entirely on him here. WB or the producers or whoever decided to hire a new composer to score the GOF. And that's exactly what Doyle did and its not his fault that it didn't resemble the previous scores close enough because he had a unique idea for how the fourth film should sound.

Exactly.

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Actually, if you want to blame anyone, blame John Williams for being so busy that he couldn't fit another Potter score into his schedule. Not to mention the rumours that he was burnt out on them anyway.

14. DarthAJ

Dec 9, 2004

Hmm...interesting. I had no clue that JW 'quit' so to speak. Figures, because I only just recently became an HP fan.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Rumours are just that. Rumours. Until there is proof that Williams was sick of doing Potter, it's not true. Williams had too many other scores on his plate that he wanted to do. So he did them and not Potter.

16. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    The 'too busy' line doesn't really explain why he isn't doing OOTP, though. He isn't doing any scores next year, as far as I know.

17. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Williams was asked about this recently, and said that he had to opt out because of schedule conflicts. Not that he's really too... honest in interviews.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, he's hardly going to say: "I opted out because I HATE DOING HARRY POTTER SCORES!!!", and then proceed to hit the interviewer about the head with his baton, is he?

But the fact that he isn't going to say it doesn't mean it's true, either. I'd be actually slightly puzzled if it were true, as probably his most creative work in the last 6 or 7 years was POA.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No the reason why he is not doing OOTP is more that once Williams steps out of a franchise he doesn't step back in.

20. captain_darth

captain_darth Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2006

I certainly agree. "MAGIC WORKS" is definetely the most vomit inducing. It just makes me cringe thinking about it.

What has han_solo been smoking?!

21. __Vader__

May 23, 2005
    Hence the dangers of listening to pop music.

22. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Well I like all music so some pop music can be good.

and I liked all three songs a lot because I don't just like one or two types of music I like it all. I except all music as it is.

and Magic Works is a very good songs. To bad this thread is full of people who clearly don't like any songs that have WORDS!

23. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm a big fan of musicals. Slowing getting into classic rock, as well.

The GoF songs still suck, to me. Is there any music you DON'T like, Han?

24. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    All songs have words, silly! ;)

25. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    I have never heard a song without words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.