main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Harry Potter Cloaks/Costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Look great! :) Going for "Book or Original Look" rite? ;)

Oh dear, at the rate I'm spending for my Halloween Costume (silly me have to get it tailored out :( ), donno if I can do the Beauxbatons Costume (am aiming for the Blazer one so I can sew it myself with help of patterns) in time for movie release. :oops: Come worse, there is always my PoA Slytherin or Gryffindor or CoS 1942 Moaning Myrtle (which unfortunately need a wig since my hair too long) to wear in Nov.

2. groon

groon Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2005
    Anyone know where I can find a Ravenclaw Scarf and or tie? Actual pieces from the movie would be cool, but as long as they look authentic, I'll be happy.

3. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    www.alivans.com

There are plenty of places that sell scarves, ties, sweaters, robes. Doing a simple google search will come up with many options.

4. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    That looks really cool ms_ventress!

5. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    thank you everyone, and yes i was going for the book version... and so that it actually looks like a Harry Potter character. i don't know what people with think i was if i wore a Hersey Kiss on my head... :p

6. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Which movie are you talking about? The ties and scarves from Philosopher/Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets are different from Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire.
    Check these out:

Sorcerer's Stone ties - http://www.costumebeginner.com/malkins/student/ssrobes.htm#tiesbuy
    Sorcerer's Stone scarves - http://www.costumebeginner.com/malkins/student/ssrobes.htm#scarfbuy
    Prisoner of Azkaban ties - http://www.costumebeginner.com/malkins/student/poarobes.htm#tiesbuy
    Prisoner of Azkaban scarves - http://www.costumebeginner.com/malkins/student/poarobes.htm#scarfbuy

7. EmmasOneandOnly

EmmasOneandOnly Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    Well,

I'm starting on my Cedrics Robe. I bought the patch at PatchPalace.com. Thats about it right now :). I'm still looking for nylon fabric for the pants and robe, not to mention the yellow mesh. Anyways, I'll keep you posted!!

8. FourCrows

FourCrows Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm not sure if you're looking for the fabric for the Tri-Wizard uniform (?) But I think I found the right stuff at denverfabrics.com, it's on it's way, I'll let you know when I get it. I think they had the mesh too (it's called athletic mesh) but I found it pretty cheap on ebay.

Can someone tell me what kind of "tape" you are using for the striping? I got some bias tape but once I got it home, I realized it's just too bloody big, so if it's the right thing to use, I'll find some that is smaller...if there is something better, I'd love to know.

thanks!!

9. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    I'm just using yellow nylon. At first I thought it was tape but then it started to look more like fabric and it moves with the robe so I think its nylon like the robe.

What are you using for the letters and stars. I was thinking Iron-on letters and stars would work or should I sew it on to protect it? I cant really find any. I'm going to Michaels this weekend. I'll let you know if I find any there

BTW - Can you tell me where to search under at DenverFabric? Thanks

10. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    If you try iron-on letters on nylon...you'll melt the fabric. Not a good idea. I would suggest stencils and sponge on paint to do the lettering. It makes for neat and orderly lettering and its permanent. Check out the shirts I made here using this technique: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=b7ed&.dnm=e059.jpg&.src=ph

11. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    So the painting tecknique...works. I thought it would was off on nylon.

12. FourCrows

FourCrows Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    Sure! sorry, I should have done that anyway, here is the pageI got code 14176.

It's called Ripstop nylon, I got it today, and it's wonderful! I also ordered the shock cord from there (code gc0001) though that seems a bit thick, I'll have to see about that. They have the toggles at joanne fabrics (I called today) so I'm going to get them there, and as far as the letters, I got some stiched ones at Hobby Lobby that look exactly like the ones on the jacket. I'm going to trim them down as far as I can, lightly glue them on, then stitch them as well as I can with the machine...I really don't want to go to all this work and have to paint on the back...I got an extra star just to play around with extra fabric...if it looks like it's a no go, I'll paint them on...

ok, so I need to look for nylon ribbon? Is that what you mean for the stripes?

13. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    If will work if you use Fabric Paint. ;)

Not too sure about Acrylic Paint as never try using it to paint on cloth.

14. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    Thank you very much for the idea of STICKERS for the letters. Now I dont have to go to every Michaels in the country trying to find them LOL :p. If you find the right glue please let me know!! Hobby Lobby, do they have a website?

I'm using nylon ribbon but now that you mention it, yellow tape might work. I'll have to mess around!!!

BTW - Can you please tell me how much Shock Cord you ordered so I can jot it down! Thanks

Mike

15. FourCrows

FourCrows Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2005
    Hi Mike, I just told you this same stuff over on Malkins I think...I got 3 yards of cord, I'm thinking that should be more than enough...

let me know how yours goes...bias tape isn't really tape, it's fabric, I don't know why the call it tape...lol...I'm not that up on sewing terms...definetly get it before you start your jacket though, it's a pain to put on later...

:)

16. EmmasOneandOnly

Sep 20, 2005
    Oh, cool. Thanks

17. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    I made a Gryffindor costume for last Halloween, it was lots of fun! And not difficult, though I think I kind of mixed movies, lol. This pic is with knee highs, just cause I was enchanted with the idea of knee highs... But since the costume is mostly POA, I wore black tights to get my HBP book at midnight ;o)

[image=http://fs5.deviantart.com/i/2004/341/3/5/Hermione_by_HeatherD.jpg]

[image=http://fs5.deviantart.com/i/2004/341/2/8/Hermione_Costume_by_HeatherD.jpg]

I used that Butterick pattern that was kind of Harry Potterish... Widened the sleeves a little (not enough : o)~ ) and added the red lining since I think that was a really cool adition for POA. It's got a really great weight to it, I love it. I managed to get the black stuff out of the bargain bin at G-street, so it's some designer thing... Probably some kind of wool. The skirt is also wool and I just used a pleated skirt pattern, I didn't try to make it exactly like the movies *shrug* Bought the tie and patch of course, and I sculpted the wand handle out of sculpey and stuck it on a plastic rod! lol. I found a grey sweater with a white stripe and brushed fabric paint over it. And finally to make it Hermione, I had my mom braid my hair in two french braids while it was wet, slept on it, and then brushed it out vigorously and shook it out :eek:D I have pretty frizzy, bushy hair in the first place, lol...

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Looks great HeatherD! :)

19. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Aw, thankies! :eek:D

20. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    You look perfect Heather!

21. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Wow thank you! It's not movie perfect. I threw it all together in like a week in a half (don't ever start planning your costume 10 days before Halloween!) so I wasn't trying to get it exact. The only thing I modified on the patterns was to make the sleeves wider (they need to be wider still, but I ran out of fabric space!) and added a full five inches to the skirt! lol. I can just imagine the detentions I would have gotten with the original version ;o)

22. JM_Reider_Undasey

JM_Reider_Undasey Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 30, 2004
    ok, so i want to make Viktor Krums Bulgarian Quidditch costume (complete with large sized broom. i hate those little ones). I've found patterns for the SS and COS quidditch robes, but i havent found anything that could be modified into the POA/GOF quidditch gear, with the draw string hood and the right dimensions. I think i can manage the arm and shin guards with no problem, just that robe patern is driving me nuts. Any suggestions? I've been through the thread, and saw a suggested pattern, but i dont think mccalls makes it anymore. if they do its not on their website.

Also i'm going to make Viktor Krums third task get up, with that over robe, so i could probably use the same pattern for both.

..can you tell i'm a big Krum fan? lol
    THanks in advance
    jmru

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Just a random rambling....

Ugh! :oops: With 20 days before GoF Nov 17th release, I really need to finish work on my friend's sister and her friend's robes. The friend is no problem as it's Gryffindor but the friend's sister is a bit headache as she's a Hufflepuff and I used the wrong Yellow for the current one plus due to her height, can't use my current pattern as it made her looked as straight as a Ruler! :eek: Got to whip myself to visit the other 2 cloths district to find the rite mustard cloth for the lining before resorting to dyeing. [face_hypnotized]

24. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    I'm looking for a pattern for the Durmstrang tunic. I suspect the flap on the side was decorative, but I'd like to make it functional. Or if not the standard tunic, the one that Karkaroff's aide is wearing, which was slightly diferent and had the flap on the other side.

A pic of both:
    http://www.silentbard.net/krum/gallery/file/gof/gofpromo/goffilm11.jpg

They remind me a bit of Luke's tunic in ROTJ. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

25. Darth_Capulus

Darth_Capulus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2005
    Speaking of tunic, the dress tunic for them also reminds me of a red Imperial Officer uniform (a bit different, but close)
    http://www.silentbard.net/krum/gallery/file/gof/gofprops/gof_props09.jpg

As to the rest of it, you might want to look at Civil War Officer uniform patterns for starting, I think that McCalls makes one that I'm looking at for Officer modifactions. As for Krum's normal tunic, a fake side button part would be easiest, but other wise I'm not completely sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.