main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have you ever Revamped & Changed your Collection?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm getting ready to revamp my collection entirely. Like a lot of people in the 90's when everything under the sun came out and then the prequels, I bought whatever I could afford. In the end, I have a sprawling collection of stuff that I only partially remember what all I've got and/or care about.

Factor into this my second frenzy which is to hit thrift shops and snatch up whatever odd-ball SW stuff that I find at them that I didn't previously own. Result - I've got boxes now in 3 places after my recent move (house, garage, storage) that all need to be sorted through.

I'm a deboxer and have been hauling empty boxes with me for oh...10 years - that have included 1 move across country and now one more across town. They're not looking so hot, so in winter when it's cooler here I'm going to start chucking all boxes other than for Sideshow, Gentle Giant, or breakable items. I've also decided that most of my 3 3/4" figure collection is going. Not my vintage collection, not my favorite characters or figures, but any figures that I picked up that are modern duplicates of vintage figures or ones that don't mean much to me - Gone.

I also love collecting characters so even though a part of me hungered for ships when I got to adulthood because I never got them as a kid, I'm now ready to part w/ a lot of my ships - they're bulky, take up space, and frankly I just don't have room for them nor any big emotional connection to them. I will keep my Falcon and the few vintage ships that I've picked up. I'll also keep my critters (Reek, TaunTauns, Dewbacks, etc.)

Other than that a lot of my just "extra" stuff and duplicates that I've acquired are all going. I'm going to thin out all of my SW novels - many I've never read, nor plan to read, or I read them long ago and don't plan to reread them.

Once I clear out all of the excess, I'll be left with just the stuff that I love which will give me room for more adult collector upgrades - like Gentle Giant Mini-busts, Sideshow 12" figures, and unique vintage items.

Any of you out there feel the need to do something similar? Or did you ever completely revamp your collection?

2. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I feel the need for it but going through the boxes seems too daunting.

I too got everything preqeul when it came to action figures. I loved the idea of getting star wars toys again. Major nostalgia trip.

Now I just have out the clone troopers and Jango Fett which relates to Boba my favorite star Wars character.

Obi, Ani, Padme and everybody else sit in a box.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I changed course after the PT ended too. From 2002-2005 I bought just about everything Hasbro made. "Commander McNobody? Give me three!". Since 2005 I've focused mostly on items from the vintage era ('77-'84). Not just the toys, but all of the various collectibles. I still picked up the occasional new figure until recently, when Hasbro roped me back in full-time with the new Vintage waves.

I've been finding ways here and there over the years to give the stuff I don't want (And really don't have room for) away, so it's not a total loss and it's all been to good causes.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm probably going to sell all of my extra stuff at toy shows - anything new in package at the end of the year will then goto Toys for Tots as a tax write-off.

I haven't been able to get out much this past year and finally saw the vintage figures at Target tonight. I don't know - they don't overly excite me. Seeing the Kenner name w/ the Hasbro figures in them makes me just go "meh." I passed on all figures - did get a pair of Galactic Heroes though ;)

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    My childhood was full of traumatic experiences where my mom threw a bunch of my stuff away, so once I got into Star Wars collecting as a preteen, I made sure to keep everything. Even though space has always been an issue every time I've moved (and that has been almost every year for the past decade), I just could never bring myself to get rid of anything, even empty boxes. The only thing I ever got rid of was my ROTS Darth Vader Burger King cardboard display (it got really dirty and beat up after being in a garage for two years).

I do still "revamp" my collection often, in the sense that I change up what I like to showcase. Older figures go into storage as new ones are purchased, Sideshow figures take over the shelf previously occupied by Burger King toys and so on.

6. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Sold all my prequel stuff after getting divorced. And then most of my vintage stuff went up on eBay. Used to make major displays, but don't have the room or inclination.
    So, all I have now is the snowspeeder, x-wing, and lots of droids. Yeah, I kept all my astromechs (except the one that came with the royal starship). I've even bought the few new ones, and the ones that arrive in pieces with other figures.

And I keep up with the Legos. Really, the Legos are my big vice. Have only seen one new astromech in the last year. (except the one that comes boxed with Slave1 and a couple other box sets which are just the same figure yet again).

A lot of my hobbies are changing.
    I used to paint minis for my RPGs. And paint&build model kits. Now I build models in Maya on the computer. (Besides, too many model kits, esp sci-fi, come pre-painted these days. talk about spoiling the fun!!!)
    So, yeah, I understand changing the collection quite a bit.
    eBay was a big help. Both in building it up, and clearing it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.