main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic Holy crap, i''m still alive.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by AT-ST_DRIVER, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    yeah, appyling for universities and stuff. Good times. Got accepted to one in New Brunswick, butthe school i really want to go to is in Halifax.

2. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    I love you Adam

3. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Wow...Adam is going to university. :p We've been here way too long. :p

4. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002
    Which university in Halifax is it? Dalhousie (w00t! Go Dal!!), Kings, SMU, MSVU, or one of the smaller colleges like the NSCC in Dartmouth or one of those techie or business schools?

5. Ton_G

Ton_G Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Crazy stuff.

Go to King's. Be wise, take FYP. :-B

6. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Ohmigosh, Adam!! *hugs*!

Where have you been??

And university? Holy crap! You echoed my thought, Tara. We have been here too long, lol!

Oh, go to New Brunswick, Adam! What university?

7. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Yeah, like back in the day, when we started posting here...wasn't Adam 15 or 16?

8. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL...yeah, he was. Going through that typical early teen stuff. I remember when he was talking about that girl he liked at the drama festival. Awww, he was so cute and young!

*goes all nostalgic*

9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Adam is back ???

10. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    I was accepted to St. Thomas, King's and CBU. I'm going to King's, i've had my heart set on that school since i started posting here (I was 14... holy crap). I got a pretty good scholarship from King's, and CBU offered me a good one, too. So yeah, good times.

11. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    That is good to hear Adam :)

12. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    So what's new with you cats?

13. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Nothing really...just looking for a job which isn't fun because there are no good paying jobs in this province!!! :p I graduated from STU three weeks ago and I'm still unhappy about it. I didn't want to leave! :p

How about you?

14. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Congrats on your graduation, Tara!

We all need to meet up again sometime. And we've never even met Adam! Does anyone else see a problem with this??

I go back to camp in northern Maine this summer! Then after that, either teaching in Maine or Florida. As usual, my life is unpredictable.

Where is King's?

15. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    I think it's on the same campus as Dal in Halifax.

16. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Yeah, that's right. (pity post to make the forum seem more active ;))

17. DarkSavior

DarkSavior Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2006
    Don't go to CBU, I am not far from that and trust me, that is a waste of your time. I know a friend who went to St. Thomas and is now working at the same job I am with no College education at all. I definately recommend King's and your lucky to get a good scholarship to that college.

18. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    I graduated from STU. :p What kind of degree did your friend graduate with? Is it something that can be applied to real life?

19. DarkSavior

DarkSavior Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2006
    He always wanted to be a broadcast jourlist and he took journlism and he is working at a call center now...i mean he doesn't have the personality to apply it to a radio station or like a major broadcasting system.

20. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Private radio actually pays less than a call centre does and the newspapers are even worse. I also wanted to be a broadcast journalist and my degree from STU is in journalism. I did two years at STU and I started thinking, "I don't like this anymore." :p So now I have a degree that I don't want to use. My advice to your friend is to get out of the maritimes and go out west...more jobs. I'm going to save up money this year by working at another bloody call center and go back to school. However, I'm not going to school out here, I'm want to get away from here.

But I do know people that I graduated with that have jobs in journalism all in broadcast.

21. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    I want to get into journalism myself. Print or radio would be sweet, even though the job prospects suck (I have a recurring nightmare of living in Orwell's Down And Out In Paris And London ). I seriously considered STU for a while. CBU, not so much. I got accepted there with a scolarship even though i didn't do so much as send in a transcript. Weird. Similar story with the Baptist University in NB.

I can't wait until King's this fall. I got mail telling me to pick my courses. I'm psyched for FYP, which is pretty pathetic.

EDIT:

Tara, what is it that made you not like jorunalism? What will you study when you go back to school?

22. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Tara, what is it that made you not like jorunalism?

Well, for one thing, I don't like or watch the news anymore. It just got annoying. You really have to keep at it to stay in the news business and I just don't care half the time. Then of course there is the money as well. The salaries aren't that great. I can't pay off a $40,000 student loan on $8.50 an hour...and that's in private radio.

I liked it when I was still going to community college in Woodstock. The hands on training there is better than it is at STU...I've heard a couple of other people at STU say that as well. Writing essays and studying all the time is not very useful in the journalistic world. :p

Anyway, it seemed exciting and fascinating at 19, now it just feels mundane.

I am thinking of volunteering at Rogers just so I'll have a volunteer reference on my resume. I've already interned there and it was fun...fluff news too. I suppose I could work at Live at 5, that's all they do is fluff. :p

What will you study when you go back to school?

I want to get into to law school.

23. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    I've been thinking of going to law school myself, after i'm done with King's.

And yes, Live at 5 is pure fluff. The only thing worse in terms of Atlantic media (that I know of) is their sister program, Breakfast Television.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.