main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Padme know about Dooku's hangar?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    During the scene in AOTC where Padme falls out of the clone gunship, she, like the others, has no clue where Dooku is trying to go. Later, when a clone wakes her up, she says "No, no. We have to get to that hangar!" or something like that.

How does she suddenly know about the hangar? I suppose one could argue that she just assumed that Dooku was headed to a hangar, but the fact that she said "that hangar" implies she knows exactly which one and where it is.

2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Look besides Padme's feet. You'll find the script in the sand.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    She is smart enough listen and to deduce that Dooku was trying to escape and that he was heading to a ship. Also she called for help and I assume Yoda picked her and the clonetrooper up. He knew where to go.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    This is a good point. The only thing I can think of is that she could see the hangar opening in the distance after she awoke from her fall. If that was the case, then Lucas should have done a shot establishing that.

5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Some possibilities:

- She used basic powers of deduction.
    - She already knew there was only one particular hangar Dooku would be speeding to.
    - She had confidence in the ability of clone troops and Republic technology to easily track Dooku's escape path.
    - She had a vision of the hangar while laying unconscious and faintly recalled it on waking, allowing her -- possibly in a parallel of Yoda -- to direct clone troops to the right location.

I see a faint outline of Jar Jar in the sand, where Padme rolled.

Also known as a modern art piece by Padme Amidala: Sand Rearranging By Rolling Buttocks.

(I just realized this is the second time Padme rolls down an incline. Actually, the first time, it was more like *up* an incline, with her Jedi paramour.)

6. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Bananas …I’m still trying to figure out how the Death Star reached Yavin-4 while traveling at orbital speed. Shouldn’t it have taken them, like, I don’t know, a hundred years or something? Or at least six months.

Also, how the hell did Indy and Marion get the 200 lbs. Ark off the Nazi island stronghold by themselves, without a boat? Plot crater.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Orbiting the planet at maximum velocity". A really close orbit around a small planet can take an hour or so. It's not going to take that much longer for a large planet. And using the engines (might require a bit of care to avoid sliding "outward") will make it take less time.

8. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Right. But I'm talking about when the Falcon first escapes the Death Star; didn't they then jump to light speed? Or even at sub-light speed, does a ship still not travel faster than a floating battle station? How close was Yavin-4 to where Aalderaan use to be?

9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The Death Star has a hyperdrive.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And a very fast one at that, going by the Death Star novel.

11. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    No it doesn’t! Shut up. You’re stupid! It’s a giant space ball-thingy, and giant space ball-thingys don’t have hyperdrive. That’s stupid. You’re stupid. I don't wanna hear anymore! *Ingram runs away*

L110, darth ladnar, Samnz and 3 others like this.
  12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  13. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    And we see this, when?

Granted, there's a reason we don't see this. It would look goddamn stupid.

DARTHSHAME and SithStarSlayer like this.
  14. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    Whaddya mean without a boat? There was a freaking submarine there for pete's sake! I'm sure there were more than a few other water craft in that docking cave we just didn't get shown!

And I think Indy could figure out some "ancient block lifting" technique using vines and branches since he was a pretty amazing archeo-adventurer!

Or they just got themselves off the island and phoned in the location to the proper US authorities? Or found a phone on the island and called it in?

The important thing is the Nazis were all dead and in their dying moments didn't scream out "And we blew up all the boats too so now whaddya gonna do!!!!!!"

ILNP likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Now, I want to see the Mouse-Star make the jump to hyperspace.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a bit hard to ensure that "no star system in the galaxy will dare oppose the Emperor now" if you don't have the means of reaching any other star system in the galaxy in short order.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe she saw it before she fell out of the Gunship?

18. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Yes, but it would still be rather silly to see the Death Star jump to lightspeed, or sprout thrusters, or whatever it does to move. Even the idea that it moves along different orbital patterns to get places doesn't make even the smallest lick of sense when you actually think about it. The Death Star looks cool, and it's a great sci-fi metaphor for war and destruction, but it's also a giant outer-space plot hole. Best not to get too worked up over it, or any others like it.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The thrusters are all along the equator.

20. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    There's t
    There's too many ways that can be interpreted [face_laugh]

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Where in the film do we see these thrusters, or hear reference to their existence?

22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, either they're there or the death Star doesn't move. :p

ILNP likes this.
  23. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Yeah, we have to assume it has some kind of propultion system. The films never actually suggest what it is, other than it has something to do with orbits. Maybe it's thrusters we can't see. Maybe they manipulate the magnetic fields to lock into different gravitations. Maybe there's a damn TARDIS in the reactor.

Nevertheless, just as there must be some way to make the Death Star move, there's also a reason that we don't see it at work-- odds are, it would look insanely stupid.

24. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Except, the Nazis were not all dead. Only a relatively small group went with Belloq. There was still an entire U-boat docking bay teeming with soldiers and personnel. Imagine Indy and Marion having to sneak aboard with a giant gold chest, and then off again where they ported next …without being noticed?

But, look, this is somewhat beside the point. Indy being the hero (in an Indiana Jones movie, no less), I reckon the guy figured out something well enough. After all, if he can survive a crazy air-raft escape and an atomic blast, I’m sure the powers granted by suspension of disbelief could aid him elsewhere as well. What I’m saying is that the narrative jump from one scene to the next – from Nazi island to the safe bosom of Washington D.C. – without any explanation is a textbook plot hole.

But what I’m really saying is that it doesn’t matter. I sure as hell never cared, anyway. Nor do I care about any number of minor question marks that can be found throughout all six Star Wars films. Many are falsely accused plot holes that can be explained within reason and context while others yet are mere petty goofs that simply never phased me. For example, I never once questioned how exactly Padme new about Dooku’s hangar until I happened upon this thread. A couple explanations offered up so far seem acceptable, but it doesn’t really matter to me either way.

At most, I just think all this stuff is fun to call out and entertain.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The orbit was more to do with them clearing Yavin to get a shot at the moon.

Given that they arrive not long after the Falcon does, obviously they have a hyperdrive.