main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hsi Yu Chi - Great Epic

Discussion in 'Archive: Hong Kong' started by JediMaster22, Dec 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Pronounced as Xi You Ji or something like that.

Translation - "Journey to the west"

You can't even pronounce chinese so don't even try it.

Monkey King - Sun WuKong

This was one of the coolest adventure/fantasy/mythology books from Chinese history!!! It has been made into Tv series and movies, BUT mostly a long time ago in the 70s and 80s.

Cool Characters - A monkey became almost Godlike, a pig used to be a Heaven Marshall, and a Sha monk also used to be a Heaven Offical! Yes it's a good read, fancinating.

Cool Magic - The Monkey King Sun WuKong has so much power even God(of the Budda religion)
    fear him.

It was DEFINATELY a chinese classic, now translated into English.

Maybe American moviemakes like GL should read this book and get some inspiration. Or maybe, do a western style of the "The Journey from the West"

A hong-Kong style is avaliable.

What's it about? Well, let me quote one of the customer's reviews on the book "Journey to the west".
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0226971503/thehsiyuchiresouA/102-8871047-0169627 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0226971503/thehsiyuchiresouA/102-8871047-0169627

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    This is a really interesting novel. It seems that I can't write a review without telling the whole story along with it. This story is about the monk Tripitaka who is sent out to gather scriptures from the Buddha in the Thunderclap temple in India. It mostly starts out by telling about the Handsome Stone Monkey King (a.k.a. Sun Wu-Kong or Pilgrim) and how he had learned magic and caused havoc in the Heavens while nobody can stop him. Finally, the Buddha is forced to stop him himself and the monkey is caught. Then, Kuan-yin tells him that he will be saved by a monk journeying to the West who will help him make up for his misdeeds. He later meets Tripitaka and he is saved, but he will not listen so he is forced to wear a golden fillet on his head to control him. Then, after a while, they meet Chu Pa-cheh( the pig monk also referred to as Chu Wu-Neng and Idiot) and Sha-Monk(or Wu-Ching) and the White Dragon Horse who had also broken the laws of Heaven. Altogether, they are forced to face 81 calamities while journeying to India. It is really neat and filled with action, adventure and magic. There are 4 volumes total and just about anyone is capable of reading it( I'm 10 and I finished it in less than a month). This is a must read for everyone. "

2. MickFoley

MickFoley Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 25, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.